Author Topic: Fort William 1000  (Read 21183 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Fort William 1000
« Reply #75 on: 27 June, 2019, 12:51:23 am »
Had a think; trying not to repeat any from the BGB post last year.

Vocabulary for Paisley (and west central scotland in general):
Buddies - People from Paisley
Scran - food
Bucky - Buckfast Tonic Wine
Carryout - Takeaway this can be made up of Scran or Bucky (or other forms of Bevvy, however not both at the same time)
Supper - In a Chip shop this is chips with your Spicy Haggis; any other setting you'll be looked at with wonderment as to why you think you're in a chip shop ordering a carryout
Boggin - What you may think of your Spicy Haggis supper if the chippy isn't all that good
Taps Aff - the sun can be seen in the sky and all the weegies are exposing their anemic torsos to it
"ya dobber" - you're a reprobate
"away an bile yir heid" - Get lost
"You're total doolally like" - You're not right in the head
"Yer aff yir heid" - Likely to be heard if you tell anyone what you're doing, basically you're crazy.
"This isnae f---- Glasgow ya c---" - I'm sorry sir this is Paisley in Renfrewshire, Glasgow is somewhere else

Language for the West Highlands:
The problem here is that Scottish English is spoken very clearly as it was never a Scots speaking area so there is less mixing of the two than you get in the midlands, central belt, north east and borders, but you will find grammar from the Gaelic infiltrating with interesting effects as well as Gaelic words littering everything, but these may also be loan words from Old Norse that were used by the Gaels and now land in SSE too just to trip you up.

Loch - A body of water that is not a channel, and not a sea but is bigger than a puddle, the diminutive is Locahan.
Glen - A narrow valley
Strath - A wide valley
Dail - A Glen or Strath that was named by a Norseman and no one renamed it.
Firth - A Sea Lake or Fjord that isn't called a Loch
Sound/Caol/Kyle - A channel
Sassenach - English speaker

Yes/No - You cannot get a yes/no answer from a local, the provision of such an answer will result in it being instantly clear that you are speaking to an incomer. Questions must be formed so that you can agree or disagree.

Have you had your tea? - You'll be hungry would you like me to put some food on for you?, an appropriate response would be "No, I have not had my tea, I'm rather hungry" although the No is spurious it's rarely dropped, the word is after all a novelty.

You'll be going up Glen Coe then? - While tea is being prepared highland hospitality (which has already insisted you receive it) demands small talk, There's only one possible route to Crianlarich this isn't really a question, but you must respond with "Yes, I will" or "I will, aye I will" to keep things up.

Haggis Neeps and Tatties - Second most likely dish to be served after Mince and Tatties, but definitely the best.

You'll have had your tea! - You are very much not welcome, likely to be heard if you've just declared the king of foods to be Boggin.

« Reply #76 on: 27 June, 2019, 09:59:48 am »
Haha thanks a lot but will they understand my brummie !

« Reply #77 on: 27 June, 2019, 10:07:56 am »
I've contacted Andy but have I missed the gpx for this?
None there with my mail so posted my routes for the 1200 on that thread
Andy doesn't do gpx's so the link I offered a few days ago (with early sight of Andy's sheets)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30369286?beta=false
can be used to download a gpx or tcx. Each control has an excursion on the route (eg: Carnforth, Gretna, Abington, Paisley, Inveraray, Dunbeg(Oban)). [ETA: amended around East Kilbride] I've routed it to the 24 hour garage in Fort William but only need to go the extra mile (beyond the town and its supermarkets) if in wee hours. Good bike shop in FW suburb of Inverlochy:
https://www.neviscycles.com/
with fish and chip shop a few doors away.
Bield Activity Centre, Wilson Street, Paisley
I've amended this plot to visit that control (and the others!):
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30369286?beta=false
Note Carnforth is the first/last control (ie both ways) now.
"Has Dunbeg been confirmed as acceptable for Oban?" Dunbeg IS the control, and then 69km to Fort William. If you want to drop into Oban for its many feeding (and drinking) opportunities, fill your boots. Cafe (1000-1730) in Benderloch (N of Connel Bridge) I think (as well as a shop opposite).
On the way back the optimum route from FW to Paisley is via Crianlarich so really that control is really a 'have something to eat and drink' control (and to avoid a 'too long between controls Audax UK' leg), rather than one for route definition. I'm sure Andy will offer guidance.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #78 on: 27 June, 2019, 10:21:56 am »

Aye, Jasper Carrot's TV Shows weren't a BBC Scotland opt out.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #79 on: 27 June, 2019, 11:17:31 am »
On the way back the optimum route from FW to Paisley is via Crianlarich so really that control is really a 'have something to eat and drink' control (and to avoid a 'too long between controls Audax UK' leg), rather than one for route definition. I'm sure Andy will offer guidance.

Yeah for 1000 riders it's 302km into the Highland loop; so if you set off from Paisley at 8am then you need to do a 14 hour 300 to have a comfortable chance of catching one of the options, as although the pubs "shouldn't" shut before the end of their licensed hours, it's not uncommon for them to do so particularly on a quiet night in the middle of nowhere, and Crianlarich really is the middle of nowhere.

leaving earlier makes things more confortable, both time wise and on the road.

Looking at the police "cabin" on Streetview I realize it's actually a police "house"; the polis man will likely be asleep in his bed unless things are kicking off.

« Reply #80 on: 27 June, 2019, 11:25:07 am »
So waking him at 3am to sign a card is not on !

« Reply #81 on: 27 June, 2019, 11:27:41 am »

Aye, Jasper Carrot's TV Shows weren't a BBC Scotland opt out.

There is more to us than him and Ozzy ! Ps my dad knew the sabbath guys as his best mate was Bill Ward’s brother and lived in the road in Aston

« Reply #82 on: 27 June, 2019, 03:35:05 pm »
Just working on the gpx-files and I'm noticing that Ajax Bay and FifeingEejit agree on most of the route, but take a very different route at the start (AB is going through Blackbool and FE is avoiding it). Why the divergence?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #83 on: 27 June, 2019, 03:38:45 pm »
Just working on the gpx-files and I'm noticing that Ajax Bay and FifeingEejit agree on most of the route, but take a very different route at the start (AB is going through Blackbool and FE is avoiding it). Why the divergence?

I've taken the route "Lakes Velo" used on the Easter Arrow; I found it to be quite a nice route at the time so hoping a summer Friday is similar traffic wise to a sunny and warm Good Friday.
It's 2.5km longer than Ajax Bay's route

It includes crossing the Cartford Bridge on which a 20p toll applies to bicycles.

« Reply #85 on: 27 June, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »
FE's plot follows Andy's routesheet. I guess it'll be better at rush hour Friday but beware of rat run drivers. Mine - drafted ages ago - cuts up and follows his 'Mille Pennines' route which I have ridden several times and like. I'd certainly ride the latter heading for the finish.
Note that our routes vary at East Kilbride too: I have adopted Andy's recommendation and stayed off the dual carriageways there (about a km longer).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #86 on: 27 June, 2019, 05:27:50 pm »
hm that's something I didn't consider, we set off from Kendal at 9am, and with it being a bank holiday there would have been very little commuting traffic.

I've checked Glasgow and Highland public holiday lists and don't see any mention of holidays however except for Christmas and New Year they're pretty much meaningless in Scotland anyway.

« Reply #87 on: 27 June, 2019, 06:18:24 pm »
Cheers for the routes all.

Also, what's the deal re hotels in FW? Only seems to be a travelodge at £150? Was contemplating riding there before sleeping but doesn't seem to be many options and thinking about it the timings might be awkward.

Where are people sleeping?

« Reply #88 on: 27 June, 2019, 07:15:42 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Ajax Bay and FifeingEejit! Although still a choice to make there.

Concerning sleeping: my plan is to be in Paisley around 10/11pm on Friday, sleep/shower/eat, leave at dawn, come back Saturday around midnight and leave in the early morning. So I would sleep in Paisley on both nights. But I guess you have to be relatively quick for that schedule.

« Reply #89 on: 27 June, 2019, 09:29:15 pm »

First time at 1000km so have no previous rides to gauge against, so, my Plan is just to sleep at the two visits to Paisley and do the FW loop in one go. How long get for sleeping is another matter as i am def. not the fastest rider in the field. I know that I can do a 600km with between 1.5 and 3 hours sleep so will have to gauge how long I can sleep for on my second visit to Paisley.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #90 on: 28 June, 2019, 12:38:29 am »
Cheers for the routes all.

Also, what's the deal re hotels in FW? Only seems to be a travelodge at £150? Was contemplating riding there before sleeping but doesn't seem to be many options and thinking about it the timings might be awkward.

There's also a Premier Inn at "An Aird"; oddly An Aird means "The High", yet it's a big flat bit by Loch Iall...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #91 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:49:52 am »

First time at 1000km so have no previous rides to gauge against, so, my Plan is just to sleep at the two visits to Paisley and do the FW loop in one go. How long get for sleeping is another matter as i am def. not the fastest rider in the field. I know that I can do a 600km with between 1.5 and 3 hours sleep so will have to gauge how long I can sleep for on my second visit to Paisley.

Similar boat, splitting it as 320, 385, 320 seems ok provided I can make use of the flat bits to get some speed up.
With Crianlarich at 300km on the second leg I'm thinking I want to be on my way out of Paisley by 6am, with so much of that route being coastal/lochside undulations (there's 4 inland climbs) I'm hoping I can still make a decent pace provided I haven't wrecked myself on Shap... 

« Reply #92 on: 28 June, 2019, 02:33:56 pm »
There are YHs at Glen Nevis (extra 5km from 'turnaround 24 hour garage') at 545k and at Crianlarich at 625k with space but NB check-in times. The Glencoe YH is full. @Phil W has mentioned the Crianlarich (train) station waiting room which stays open. Unless there's a strong breeze, the midges will encourage would be 'wild' bivviers to press on back to Paisley.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #93 on: 28 June, 2019, 04:34:19 pm »
Checking at Crianlarich YH closes at 10pm, Glen Nevis probably the same.
There are independent hostels at Tyndrum and Glen Nevis too

« Reply #94 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:18:09 pm »
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the parking situation is like at the Scout Hut, are we able to leave cars there for the duration or will we have to find alternative parking locations once unloaded? Thanks

I am on the 1200 and I just presumed could leave car there ! Thanks for asking the Q !

I emailed Andy Corless and the response is ...... There'll be no parking available at/outside the event HQ. However, parking will be available in the nearby streets (within half a mile). I don't think there's any parking permits but I suggests you look out for parking permits before you park! You'll be able to leave a bag at the HQ over the weekend and collect it before you go home.

« Reply #95 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:19:01 pm »
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the parking situation is like at the Scout Hut, are we able to leave cars there for the duration or will we have to find alternative parking locations once unloaded? Thanks

I am on the 1200 and I just presumed could leave car there ! Thanks for asking the Q !

I emailed Andy Corless and the response is ...... There'll be no parking available at/outside the event HQ. However, parking will be available in the nearby streets (within half a mile). I don't think there's any parking permits but I suggests you look out for parking permits before you park! You'll be able to leave a bag at the HQ over the weekend and collect it before you go home.
Hmm not perfect really

« Reply #96 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:12:03 pm »
Hmm not perfect really

At a guess, Andy had a choice between permitting parking by booking the Scout Hall for the full three/four days1, or charging less than sixty quid for the event.

1: Realistically, finding a venue which he could book, and block out the car park of, over the weekend probably means not using the Scout Hall. They've got regular bookings.

« Reply #97 on: 29 June, 2019, 10:59:11 am »
I understand that so will need to plan around it

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #98 on: 30 June, 2019, 12:31:51 pm »
See notes on the 1200 thread about works on the A83 in Glen Croe (redt and be thankful)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #99 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:29:47 pm »
Weather forecast is starting to look good (cool and dry). Clothing choices are always difficult, but I'm guessing that Scotland on Saturday morning/evening will be cold enough to warrant taking the merino longsleeve along.