Author Topic: Tandem owner  (Read 30923 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
Re: Tandem owner
« Reply #50 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:24:54 am »
Can I claim n=3.5 (two tandems and a triplet) or even n=4 for when the trailer bike is on the triplet?

« Reply #51 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:16:47 am »
Answer n+1. Debatable whether n = current number of girlfriends*, I suppose :D

Substitute boyfriends as appropriate. I'm married so n=0 and tandems=1  ;D
n=5 in our case :-[
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We don't have room for another 4 partners in the flat. :o Not unless they share the bikes we already have and take over the hoovering, anyway... :-*
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #52 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:22:53 am »
And as I offered Ms Weasel, you are very welcome to borrow (one of) our spare one(s) to see how you get on and what you want from it. :)

We will definitely take you up on that kind offer!  Thanks very much  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #53 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:06:47 pm »
The hoovering, eh?  Hmmm....good idea.  What about ironing too? ;D
Getting there...

Paulapops

« Reply #54 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:05:32 pm »
We have 2. One rohloff equipped thorn adventure that get around a bit a rather "bling" custom longstaff   that get around a little less ;D

alan

« Reply #55 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:18:27 pm »
We currently own a Dawes Two Across.Over the weekend Marj commented that she feels that we should sell it & upgrade :thumbsup:We live rather close to Longstaffs  ;)

« Reply #56 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:21:49 pm »
We currently own a Dawes Two Across.Over the weekend Marj commented that she feels that we should sell it & upgrade :thumbsup:We live rather close to Longstaffs  ;)
How lovely. :D
We have plans to fettle Delilah the Super Galaxy. We need to go to JD in Ilkley to try out various options first. :thumbsup: 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #57 on: 24 June, 2008, 06:34:57 pm »
I was in Longstaffs yesterday. I think they had two second-hand ones - and of course they'll be happy to make a new one!

alan

« Reply #58 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:00:51 pm »
I actually drove past the end of the street going elsewhere today & made a concious decision not to go in because I had my wallet in my pocket :o
Being in a place like that in possession of the wherewithall is a mistake choice I have made several times in the past ::-)

Karen Sutton

« Reply #59 on: 22 July, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »
We have a George Longstaff Tandem Trike.

Tomorrow we shall also have a Bike Friday Twosday.  AVC called today to say it's on it's way (we've been waiting twelve weeks for its immigration from the US) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #60 on: 01 August, 2008, 08:52:32 pm »
Me and my daughter Alicia picked up our tandem.Its a very old Carton,with dropped  handlebars,and quite a short wheelbase for a tandem.Its quite a shock riding such a old bike I am used to clipless pedals and STIs,and brakes that work !Alicia loves it and has named it Andy the tandy.She is demanding pink handlebar tape and rldes,will I get to ride my solo again ? ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #61 on: 03 August, 2008, 08:04:39 pm »
Pictures!
Getting there...

« Reply #62 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:58:13 pm »
A triplet (me n u2) and '96 thorn discovery, currently off the road getting "done up"
Thinking of flogging the triplet for another tandem that both my sons (10&8) could stoke on.
cheers
Steve
Milton of Campsie

« Reply #63 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:50:59 am »
Assuming you don't want a second tandem for its own sake, have you tried crank shorteners or kiddicranks on the existing one?

Various makes and designs are available, particularly for crank shorteners, which our kids used from age about 8 on our tandem.

Depends on size of kid and of tandem of course - ours is about 21.5"/20.5".

« Reply #64 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:11:50 am »
hi Drossall
Yeah I've tried kiddie-cranks on the old Disco, but for a variety of reasons (not least I just fancy a new one) I wanted a dedicated machine for riding with the kids and same for riding with my missus.

I looked at Co-motion periscope, but their UK dealer never got back to me.  They look nice bikes but expensive.
So, I'm looking at a Thorn in L/S size. Not exactly what I originally wanted to do, but the bikes are nice.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #65 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:40:04 am »
Assuming you don't want a second tandem for its own sake, have you tried crank shorteners or kiddicranks on the existing one?

Various makes and designs are available, particularly for crank shorteners, which our kids used from age about 8 on our tandem.

Depends on size of kid and of tandem of course - ours is about 21.5"/20.5".

We use the exact same kiddy cranks as shown in the photo.  They are made by Santana and are fantastic.

« Reply #66 on: 08 August, 2008, 07:37:04 pm »
Strictly what's in the photo are crank shorteners. Kiddycranks are different.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #67 on: 09 August, 2008, 03:41:48 pm »
You're right. I do know the difference, typo on my behalf.

« Reply #68 on: 01 September, 2008, 02:57:58 am »
Ours is so thin and flexible it feels like a wobble bike.  Especially when it's got panniers on and I'm riding it solo having dropped the stoker off at work :-X

Admittedly the frame looks rather underbuilt, but I think all tandems _feel_ very wobbly when you have just dropped off a stoker - the bike+rider package just about halved in weight, and all your steering movements are the wrong magnitude.

Mine ('89? Super Galaxy) feels like pure jelly immediately after dropping someone off, especially if they are heavier than me - but after ten minutes it just feels like a rather ponderous and comfortable touring bike.

« Reply #69 on: 16 October, 2008, 02:10:25 pm »
We've got a Dawes Discovery Twin.  At the moment it's in France, we left it there and are planning to bring it home at Christmas, we're missing it.

I've also got an old Peugeot in the shed, which I used to ride with my son on the front.  It's too big for my partner AKA Polly on the back.  I should get round to trying to sell it.

« Reply #70 on: 16 October, 2008, 02:17:41 pm »
We've got a Dawes Discovery Twin.  At the moment it's in France, we left it there and are planning to bring it home at Christmas, we're missing it.

I've also got an old Peugeot in the shed,

Is that the twin lateral frame or the newer open one?

I've still got the Tom Avon marathon bike in the shed. I'm supposed to be selling it. Also a half share in a Pete Tansley racing machine that I haven't seen for a few years.

« Reply #71 on: 16 October, 2008, 05:48:42 pm »
The Peugeot is a twin lateral.  It's a bit flexible, we can't use it because on Polly the stand over height is about minus two inches. 

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #72 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:52:17 am »
Maffie and I can now join this list.

Is it worth having a seperate thread for vacant stoker positions? Not of course to be confuddled with an YACF dating list!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #73 on: 21 March, 2009, 06:06:32 pm »
I hadn't realised that there was a tandem section in yacf.

Mrs panoramix and I are the proud owners of a Thorn Explorer. We sometimes hitch the trailer at the back for our daughter and go for some day trip or even better camping adventures. As the family has grown 6 months ago, I need to figure a way for having two well behaved kids at the back!!!  ::-)
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #74 on: 22 March, 2009, 03:15:39 pm »
The Russells have two:

MB Dronfield c 1984 made by Vernon Barker - our first, bought to see if we liked it and...

clicky

because we did a Dawes Galaxy Twin c 2004 aluminium - it came up on Ebay was local to us and the right size.

clicky