Author Topic: Barley on a Brompton?  (Read 3704 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Barley on a Brompton?
« on: 31 December, 2018, 06:06:12 pm »
Just wondering if anyone had used a Barley saddlebag on a Brommie with a Brooks B17?  Not sure if it would impede the fold?
Advena ego sum in Terra

Re: Barley on a Brompton?
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2019, 02:42:45 am »
I've used a Pendle and a Classic Saddlebag Rack on my Brompton without ill effect - I do have the telescopic seatpost though, so there's no question of mounting straps stopping the lower part of the seatpost dropping completely.

« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2019, 09:45:51 am »
There was a recent post somewhere commending a new rack for Bromptons that clipped around the saddle somehow. I can't remember the details, or find it again. Obviously a classic Karrimor rack would lift off without leaving anything to stop the seat pin from dropping fully (to lock the fold and act as a parking brake).

I've seen one or two warnings from Brompton about loading the seat pin, and possible stress on the frame as a result. Saddlebags tend to be off-centre loads, of course, whereas the weight of the rider goes roughly down the line of the pin. But that doesn't seem to stop loads of Brompton users from happily fitting various bags and other loads to their saddles :)

diapsaon0

« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2019, 10:21:02 am »
Thanks.  SJSC is my LBS. I'll go up there later this week and try a Barley as well as the little zipped roll.
Advena ego sum in Terra

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2019, 10:24:22 am »
Probably drossall is referring to https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=110565.0 regarding https://frostandsekers.com

It looks a tempting system but we've already pretty much standardised on Carradice's SQR (me) and Carradice's Bagman QR bracket (HK) on most of our machines. At £80 a pop and quite a few bikes/ trikes between us, it'd be an expensive swap for us. If we had fewer bikes and were starting from scratch, we'd probably go this way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2019, 02:17:39 pm »
I have used one on a Team Pro and it is ok with folding, but I have the extended seatpost.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

diapsaon0

« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2019, 04:54:07 pm »
That looks great, but not a cheap option.  Worth thinking about
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #7 on: 02 January, 2019, 02:52:10 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:50:58 pm »
HK and I hang our bums over the back of the saddle a bit too much to use the classic saddlebag mount.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

diapsaon0

« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2019, 10:04:13 pm »
UPDATE:

I went into SJSC. today - they are my LBS as well as being a major Brompton dealer. 

They told me that the quick release wouldn't fit on my Brooks B17 which seemed odd, but, I ended up buying a zipped roll which will be useful for tools etc.   As the quick release and a Barley would have cost more than the Zipped Roll, then I assume he knew what he was talking about.   I may get one of the above racks in future if I can be sure that it'll fit and then use the zipped roll on the handlebars.

I need to ring Carradice to ask about re-stitching my Kelbrook bag which got damaged in Latvia a few years back, so I'll ask them about the quick release issue.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:30:09 pm »
Probably drossall is referring to https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=110565.0 regarding https://frostandsekers.com
That's the one. Don't know why I couldn't find it. But yes, I still think that the traditional rack linked by SA*4 is much more economic.

« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2019, 03:18:54 pm »
The quick release rack fits my Brooks and Spa Nidds but not the 2010 Brompton seat. The brackets are too far under the seat.  I use the Carridice roll but may consider the Frost handle.

« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2019, 04:25:07 pm »
I have managed to bend the B17 saddle hoops using a modern classic rack to such an extent that the rack keeps falling off. So be careful not to overload when using.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2019, 05:43:06 pm »
I often use a Carradice Barley saddlebag mounted on a modified Brompton S-frame, so can use it as a day/commuting bag on the front carrier block. Works very well. I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

I also have a B17 on the Brompton, though that's not really relevant in this case!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

diapsaon0

« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2019, 10:16:06 am »
Good idea.  I don't always need my big Carradice City Folder with me either.
Advena ego sum in Terra