Author Topic: When is a DIY considered DIY+calendar  (Read 3020 times)

Spikey

When is a DIY considered DIY+calendar
« on: 11 May, 2010, 03:14:02 pm »
How much of a DIY can coincide with a calendar event before its considered a DIY+calendar (requiring a calendar event entry).

I'm planning a  DIY 300 on Saturday AM, which includes a fair chunk of the BCM (2004/Scenic) Chepstow, Usk, Abagevenny, Brnllys, Builth, Elan Valley (before returning via Tregaron, Brecon, Usk, Chepstow, Bristol). Its not my intention to use any of the controlls, but it would be nice to have some company for at least part of the ride.

PS. I'd like to be doing the BCM, but injury in March has meant I'm a bit behind with my fitness.

Martin

Re: When is a DIY considered DIY+calendar
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »
There is no such thing as a DIY + calendar ride, you either do the whole calendar event and extend it or not, so it would fall under a straight DIY

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »
How much of a DIY can coincide with a calendar event before its considered a DIY+calendar (requiring a calendar event entry).

I'm planning a  DIY 300 on Saturday AM, which includes a fair chunk of the BCM (2004/Scenic) Chepstow, Usk, Abagevenny, Brnllys, Builth, Elan Valley (before returning via Tregaron, Brecon, Usk, Chepstow, Bristol). Its not my intention to use any of the controlls, but it would be nice to have some company for at least part of the ride.

PS. I'd like to be doing the BCM, but injury in March has meant I'm a bit behind with my fitness.

If you're doing all that on Saturday morning then you're fit enough to do the event proper!

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2010, 03:48:30 pm »

Two different things.

If you need a completed calendar event brevet card to form part of your DIY proof of passage then it's an ECE ride and you need to enter the calendar event.

If it's a DIY ride that uses the same roads and possibly same controls at the same time as a calendar ride then it'd be worth checking with the calendar event organiser first. A donation to a suitable cause may see you welcomed at the calendar event controls.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »
The only BCM control you'd use in Bronllys, and that's a cafe.  So the only issue would be if you slowed down peoples' progress to it or through it, or caused it to overload.  I don't think either is likely if you're reasonably sensible about it .

As Greenbank says, a quick check with the org that he doesn't see it as a problem would be best.

There is an AUK rule about riders on events not getting assistance from other cyclists though, so make sure no-one draughts you or they may not get their card validated ;)

Spikey

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2010, 04:01:56 pm »
If you're doing all that on Saturday morning then you're fit enough to do the event proper!
Start approx 5am. Hope to finish (approx 330Km)  before midnight.

Spikey

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »
Well that was a wonderfully tough ride, 345 Km in total. The first 130 up to Elan were nice and fast with pleanty of BCM riders to keep me motivated before the real fun began, with the Elan valley and then the road back from Tregaron to Beulah and Brecon (including a liitle walk up the Devils staircase). It makes me want to do the Elenith one year. Got home just before midnight feeling totally wiped, definitely not up to 600 just yet.