Author Topic: Prometheus - spoiler warnings within  (Read 12895 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Prometheus - spoiler warnings within
« Reply #75 on: 26 June, 2012, 08:42:39 pm »
There's another whole interesting story there, that WE'RE NOT BEING TOLD because it's the bloody writer from Lost, and he's a cocktease.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #76 on: 26 June, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »
That explains a lot, I thought Lost was laughable tosh as well.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

ian

« Reply #77 on: 26 June, 2012, 09:17:54 pm »
That explains a lot, I thought Lost was laughable tosh as well.

I enjoyed Lost. It was stupid but the writers obviously joyously ran with it. It was almost stream of consciousness. It takes a certain chutzpah to do that.

The best bits of Lost were the breathless deadpan everything-you-need-to-know-in-eight(ish)-minute recaps. They were probably just on the box set (and YouTube now). Google 'em.

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #78 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »
The best bits of Lost were the breathless deadpan everything-you-need-to-know-in-eight(ish)-minute recaps. They were probably just on the box set (and YouTube now). Google 'em.

On the whole... er... no.

I work in TV, I have better things to do than go looking for recap clips of something I thought was tosh the first time round.  Knitting string in the presence of cats is one thing I could do that's more entertaining.  I have a few box sets, but they're few and far between.  'Lost' isn't one of them.  I'd rather watch Shogun again, or the whole of B5, Firefly, The Prisoner and BSG back-to-back, than watch the X-piles or Lost.  When 24 became 48 and then 72, I lost the ability to care about Jack Bauer.  Mulder was a tit, and Scully wasn't funny - actually now I think of it, that works both ways round - and lots of people take TV too seriously.  When I saw the first couple of episodes of Lost, I realised how much better it would be if they'd all died openly, right there in the first episode when the plane crashed.  At least I wouldn't have had 6-effing-years of people telling me how profound they thought it was.

It may appear to you that I spend much of my life wandering around in a mix of mildly amused cynicism tempered by anger.  You'd probably be right.  I blame all the crap TV I've had to watch...
L
Windcheetah No. 176

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #79 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:18:45 pm »
Oh... and just don't get me started on Twin f**king Peaks...
L
Windcheetah No. 176

« Reply #80 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »
District 9 cost around $30mil and still got nominated for a VFX oscar...however, it's a rarity.

Prometheus problem was using the scriptwriter from 'Lost'.
I liked District 9 a lot (I missed it on the big screen, but bought the DVD). It was clever, amusing and thought-provoking.

Pretty much everything Prometheus wasn't  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:30:29 pm »
I thought that Lost was either a terrible accident or the work of some sadistic scriptwriting genius.  It managed to simultaneously make no sense and leave you waiting for the next episode, while all the time frustrating you TO DETH!

The only good thing to come of it was some fan site I was pointed at sometime during the second series, where they somehow managed to tie it all together with a single hard sci-fi plot device.  Needless to say this never happened in canon, just more ludicrous wtfery.

Pah!

Oh, and in this house 24 is known as 16.8, for obvious reasons.  It's frankly hilarious how much it doesn't work when you watch a whole series back-to-back.  After a while you become more interested in hunting down and brutally murdering the Cisco ringtone department and the (just plain wrong) kerning of the clock digits than the plight of Bauer and his incredibly unlucky family.

Babylon 5 was good though.  Mostly.

« Reply #82 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »
Why american sports have goals every 10 seconds but are completely boring.

Basketball aside, which other American sports has goals every 10 seconds?

FootballRugby in padding? No. Ice Hockey? No, Baseball rounders? No.

FTFY.  ;)
And the bit you missed.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

AndyK

« Reply #83 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:53:39 am »
Why american sports have goals every 10 seconds but are completely boring.

BasketballNetball aside, which other American sports has goals every 10 seconds?

FootballRugby in padding? No. Ice Hockey? No, Baseball rounders? No.

FTFY.  ;)
And the bit you missed.

And the other bit I missed.  ;)

Jakob

« Reply #84 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
Those jokes are so old and mostly pathetic. Mention any North American sport and they'll come up...

AndyK

« Reply #85 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:53:10 pm »
Those jokes are so old and mostly pathetic. Mention any North American sport and they'll come up...

There are north American sports?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #86 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:47:25 pm »
Shogun and kerning. Me gusta.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #87 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:47:24 am »

Lacrosse?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

AndyK

« Reply #88 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:54:34 am »

Lacrosse?

Isn't that Irish?

« Reply #89 on: 28 June, 2012, 12:23:22 pm »
Nope, it's as American as you can get.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #90 on: 30 June, 2012, 01:39:28 pm »
Lacrosse, a relatively popular team sport in the Americas, may have developed as early as AD 1100.[1][2] By the seventeenth century it was well-established and had been documented by Jesuit priests, although the game has undergone many modifications since that time. In the traditional Native Canadian version, each team consisted of about 100 to 1,000 men on a field that stretched from about 500 meters to 3 kilometers long

And I always thought it was French Shinty.

LEE

« Reply #91 on: 30 June, 2012, 08:31:33 pm »
Is there a "Sidetracked Thread of the Day" award?

« Reply #92 on: 20 October, 2012, 01:05:40 pm »
A bit late to watching the film, but I just got it on Bluray (well last week, but was too busy at work to watch it).

The film is certainly impressively shot (or cgi-ed as the case clearly often is).  Inevitably as in many of these films, you wonder why people are quite so lackadaisical in their approach to things on a totally alien planet.  The technology that they have, seems more consistently plausible in the context of our current technological level, compared to the way that the original Alien films now look.  The storyline also clearly leaves the room for a sequel, although it can stand alone by itself.  I think the film isn't half bad.  Maybe not quite as impressively original as Alien was, but still pretty good.  There are a handful of bits which are predictable, but to my mind it's not as bad as some critics seemed to imply.

I need to acquire myself a 3D TV, so I can watch it with the full image glory, but the surround sound isn't half bad.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #93 on: 20 October, 2012, 07:53:33 pm »
My only real problem with the film (I also got the BluRay disc) is the complete lack of excitement/tension.

Even though I've seen Ripley looking for Jones the Cat a hundred times, it's still more tense than any part of Prometheus.

It's certainly a good one to own if you have BluRay and a big crisp LED-lit TV though.

« Reply #94 on: 20 October, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »
True, it doesn't have that sitting on the edge, waiting for the beasty to jump out bit, but that's been done with the first Alien film (and to a degree with the later ones).  If you tried to do that again, you would just be validly accused of repetition.  It's hard to see how to do that, which hasn't been done better a dozen times since (in a variety of monster and horror films).  There's little you can do with that now, which isn't horribly unoriginal.

I think with this film they tried to have slightly more plot than just a nasty beasty out to eat the characters (which is largely what Alien is).  It was original insofar as the beasty was particularly nasty and efficient, and was set in space, which hadn't been done as well at that time.

Should they make a sequel, there's more room for the storyline, although it would risk being a bit predictable, so they possibly have to try and go off at a tangent from the way we may think that they would go, insofar as whether the Engineers still exist, and what their current intentions are towards the Earth (regardless of the opinions of the chap in this film, who may have been a bit behind the times).  I'd be interested to see where they go with it, although it could be a bit of a let down, if they got it wrong.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #95 on: 22 October, 2012, 10:54:03 am »
I saw it again recently and was forced to revise my opinion. Projected from a seatback and thus robbed of the IMAX visual spectacle, it was utter shit.

Firstly, all the characters were dumb. It was like they'd Fedexed a industrial-sized package of stupid to the other side of the galaxy to see what happened. If I were an alien and that bunch woke me up, I'd punch the fuckers too.

Dumb and unsympathetic, to boot. I didn't care. Nothing they did seemed to make any sense, least of all considering these were the elite chosen for mankind's first encounter with alien technology. I wouldn't have sent them to Lidl. The only two characters that were vaguely interesting were robots (well, one was, I assume we're supposed to think the other one might be). That probably says something about the characterisation and scripting.

OK, they might plug the yawning intergalactic voids in the plot with a sequel or three, but that's just lazy writing and plotting. You can make a tight, coherent film and still leave people guessing and aching for a sequel.

« Reply #96 on: 22 October, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »
I watched the DVD, and would probably give about 65%.  There always has to be an element of 'let's go down into the dark basement to see what that noise was...".  Though I have to say the two scientists going 'coochy coo, here boy' to the alien egglayer snake thing rearing up at them was a bit lame...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LEE

« Reply #97 on: 13 December, 2012, 10:08:27 am »
A great "review" of Prometheus.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-x1YuvUQFJ0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-x1YuvUQFJ0&rel=1</a>

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #98 on: 14 December, 2012, 04:41:53 am »
What Ian said. I have a tendency with many usanian films to find myself shouting "Why are you being so STUPID?"

That didn't happen with 'Alien'. In 'Aliens' the soldiers' cockiness and resulting debacle were realistic, and their recovery/rebound plausible. In 'Prometheus', as Ian says, the chosen elite of the planet were stupider than an old Dr Who assistant.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

« Reply #99 on: 14 December, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »
Oh I like stupid. I get so angry at the Oscars when Jason Statham doesn't win anything that I invent my own martial art and start chasing people. I think watching movies with subtitles make you like lapsung souchong tea and mustard-coloured clothing and opens the doorway to many other aberrant behaviours. They could have stopped making movies after Under Siege and Die Hard 2 – realistically, that was the top of the range, there's no room to do better. I've watched every episode of Lost in the full knowledge that they were never ever going to clean up that much batshit and quite enjoyed it.

I'm surprised that people are being so charitable about Prometheus. It really is astoundingly bad. And not in a good way. I mean seriously, Ridley Scott probably could have built a small mountain out of the cash on offer for this project. Did he spend it all and then realise he'd forgotten that he'd need to pay for a story and script? Shit, I'd like to claim I could do a better job, but frankly so could either of my cats.