Author Topic: ACME Club Run, (open to all)  (Read 19683 times)

Re: ACME Club Run, (open to all)
« Reply #100 on: 06 January, 2023, 08:40:28 pm »
I am still sore and crocked so will be resting up this week.  If you take Huggy’s route out of Greenstead Green then watch the narrow bit by the river, I have been subjected to a couple of awful close passes on that 100m stretch recently.  Probably pure coincidence but…worth mentioning.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #101 on: 07 January, 2023, 10:34:36 am »
Change of plan if we're going North. The cafes at Gosfield Lake are closed, so suggest the Hyacinth Tea Room at Greenstead Green instead. Called them to confirm they are open, we can even book a table. If we know rough numbers I'll call back and reserve a table for about 11:30 tomorrow.
Revised route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41732722 - a lot less Braintree! Tomsk peel off could be to Bocking or carry on to Ranks Green.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #102 on: 07 January, 2023, 05:34:59 pm »
I’m planning on being out tomorrow - will probably peel off for home just after Greenstead Green.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: 07 January, 2023, 06:24:47 pm »
 :thumbsup: Hyacinth Tea Room it is.

« Reply #104 on: 07 January, 2023, 08:38:38 pm »
I aim to be at spoons some time after 9. If I'm not there by half 9 and it's raining - I'll be in bed still  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #105 on: 08 January, 2023, 04:58:44 pm »
We got the best of the day weatherwise: after a 'spoons breakfast, Despeuch, Huggy, Bobb, GavinC & I set out on Huggy's route to the Hyacinth Tea Room at Greenstead Green. Cool, bright and breezy, and a few 'incidents' along the way with silly thoughtless passes by motorists (following like sheep, blind corners, stuff approaching, the usual ...  ::-)) and a confrontation with one on the wrong side of the road in Silver End. More than usual I think - perhaps there's been a new year amnesty and they've been released back into the community?

Taking the Nightingale Hall lane via the closed bridge gave the opportunity for almost Comedy Off-Road featuring mega-skog and the full theme-park of potholes/gravel/mud/horse poo. But it was a nice quiet, pretty route! After lovely cake for elevenses we split and split again to head for various homes. I saw the approaching black cloud in the south-west and reached Dunmow as it was starting to get heavy. I suspect others may not have been so lucky! 55 miles for me today.

« Reply #106 on: 08 January, 2023, 05:53:04 pm »
I wasn’t so lucky! The light showers turned into a deluge as I approached Thaxted- I ducked into the church porch to see if the rain would blow through but no such luck so the last few miles home were fairly miserable  :(

But other than that it was a great ride :thumbsup: 75 miles for me today.

felstedrider

« Reply #107 on: 08 January, 2023, 07:45:34 pm »
Saw Tomsk climbing away from Dunmow about 7:40.  We were driving to East London for a half marathon.  It stayed dry for that but tipped down all the way home.

« Reply #108 on: 08 January, 2023, 07:47:57 pm »
It's silver end. Honestly I try and avoid it as it seems most the drivers hate cyclists. Got called a c#nt by one driver a few years back as he passed parked cars on his side of the road and once he had gone past got overtaken while still passing parked cars

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #109 on: 09 January, 2023, 07:19:30 pm »
I should be able to ride this Saturday. ‘spoons for breakfast?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #110 on: 09 January, 2023, 08:13:54 pm »
I’m planning on riding the Kelvedon Oyster route check this weekend, not sure yet about meeting for breakfast before setting off. Sunday looks favourite for weather forecast.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #111 on: 10 January, 2023, 01:01:37 pm »
I'm planning to ride Tomsk's Dick Turpins Day Out 200 on Saturday because last Saturdays weather wasn't bad enough to put me off  :facepalm:

Leaving Dunmow approx. 7am if any one fancies a slow 200 in the wind and rain....

Don't all rush  :P
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Oscar's dad

« Reply #112 on: 10 January, 2023, 01:40:20 pm »
I'm planning to ride Tomsk's Dick Turpins Day Out 200 on Saturday because last Saturdays weather wasn't bad enough to put me off  :facepalm:

Leaving Dunmow approx. 7am if any one fancies a slow 200 in the wind and rain....

Don't all rush  :P

I'm so tempted  ;D  But then people might think I'm an audaxer  :facepalm:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: 11 January, 2023, 09:06:47 am »
I'll be getting my PBP entry in on Saturday morning ... so I won't be out! If I can out on Friday, work permitting, then that'll be the best day for me, though Sunday afternoon is possible too.

« Reply #114 on: 11 January, 2023, 04:59:16 pm »
I'll be getting my PBP entry in on Saturday morning ... so I won't be out! If I can out on Friday, work permitting, then that'll be the best day for me, though Sunday afternoon is possible too.

Me too...
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #115 on: 02 February, 2023, 04:47:51 pm »
Knights Templar helpers' ride this Saturday from the 'spoons, may see others there for a club ride?

« Reply #116 on: 02 February, 2023, 06:31:24 pm »
In my continued attempt to avoid my family... Sorry I mean get to 100 points, I am riding Tomsk's Boudiccas Revenge 200 on Saturday
Leaving Gt Dunmow at about 7 or just before for a steady paced ride.
Again, don't all rush  ;D
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

felstedrider

« Reply #117 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:09:01 pm »
In my continued attempt to avoid my family... Sorry I mean get to 100 points, I am riding Tomsk's Boudiccas Revenge 200 on Saturday
Leaving Gt Dunmow at about 7 or just before for a steady paced ride.
Again, don't all rush  ;D

Disappearing up North for an inaugural Parkrun (and a Y), otherwise I would have joined you.  I might do a 200 perm on Sunday.

My mojo is returning slowly.  I need to get my fitness back up for the Summer.

Is anyone starting an Arrow thread.  I know we had some early discussions.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #118 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:32:00 pm »
Disappearing up North for an inaugural Parkrun (and a Y), otherwise I would have joined you. 

Off topic: There's another Y parkrun beyond York? Where's this?! When we went to York it was parkswim....
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

felstedrider

« Reply #119 on: 03 February, 2023, 06:41:58 am »
Disappearing up North for an inaugural Parkrun (and a Y), otherwise I would have joined you. 

Off topic: There's another Y parkrun beyond York? Where's this?! When we went to York it was parkswim....

You have a WhatsApp message.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #120 on: 03 February, 2023, 08:43:04 am »
Is anyone starting an Arrow thread.  I know we had some early discussions.

Thread started over in Audax.

« Reply #121 on: 04 February, 2023, 03:41:36 pm »
Tomsk you cycled past me (was running) not far from dancing dicks farm

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #122 on: 05 February, 2023, 08:46:17 pm »
Tomsk you cycled past me (was running) not far from dancing dicks farm

I did think was that you?! But no bike, surely not!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: 09 February, 2023, 09:25:34 am »
As the weather is in a settled pattern at the moment, I'm going to head off this weekend and go round the three Tourdax 100km routes. I'll start off from the 'spoons on Saturday morning. My route goes via White Notley, a bit of COR (Pole & Dagnets Lanes), Willows Green, Gt Saling, Bardfield and Finchingfield. Café opportunities aplenty out that way if the club run was minded to join me. I'll be slow though, maybe with camping gear - depends if I can get a cheap Premier Inn room in St Neots and Letchworth. (As an alternative I've found a reasonably priced farm campsite that's open all year round, near Gamlingay, to use as a base.)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #124 on: 09 February, 2023, 01:33:05 pm »
As the weather is in a settled pattern at the moment, I'm going to head off this weekend and go round the three Tourdax 100km routes. I'll start off from the 'spoons on Saturday morning. My route goes via White Notley, a bit of COR (Pole & Dagnets Lanes), Willows Green, Gt Saling, Bardfield and Finchingfield. Café opportunities aplenty out that way if the club run was minded to join me. I'll be slow though, maybe with camping gear - depends if I can get a cheap Premier Inn room in St Neots and Letchworth. (As an alternative I've found a reasonably priced farm campsite that's open all year round, near Gamlingay, to use as a base.)

Tomsk, what time you getting to 'spoons?