Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945894 times)

ian

We are, deep in the darkest jungles of Surrey, about to get wheely bins for added pavement fun (ok, we have wheelies for recycling, just not for rubbish which is currently bagged). We actually have our own wheely bin for rubbish to aid transport of said rubbish to the bottom of the drive. Alas, we can't use that because H&S.

So we'll have a spare wheelie bin. The fun!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The oddest thing has happened. Our wheelybin disappeared about 3 weeks ago. Peli posted on a local Facebook site asking if anyone had seen it, easy to spot our number on it and some paint I spilled on it when I used it a stand. Peli asked the council today about paying for a new bin and someone has already bought one for us! Mystery bin-buyer!
Somebody stole your bin to hide the bodies.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
well if it was our bodies we would be happy, since we now don't have a place to put them
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We are, deep in the darkest jungles of Surrey, about to get wheely bins for added pavement fun (ok, we have wheelies for recycling, just not for rubbish which is currently bagged). We actually have our own wheely bin for rubbish to aid transport of said rubbish to the bottom of the drive. Alas, we can't use that because H&S.

So we'll have a spare wheelie bin. The fun!

MrsT left our spare open at the end of the garden to catch rainwater. Then a bloke we had in to do something or other most obligingly emptied it for us and closed it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
The oddest thing has happened. Our wheelybin disappeared about 3 weeks ago. Peli posted on a local Facebook site asking if anyone had seen it, easy to spot our number on it and some paint I spilled on it when I used it a stand. Peli asked the council today about paying for a new bin and someone has already bought one for us! Mystery bin-buyer!
ok update to BinGate: It's bin day and our lost bin is no more lost, its hiatus of four weeks has come to an end. AND the new bin that someone - the council don't know who is - called the council and paid for was delivered just now ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The old one was probably mv'd to /etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

/lost+found, shirley.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
I did find / -type bin

You could have had my spare bin. The council decided to replace our garden bins with a different colour bin one week when I was away so not having put the old bin out (because they only gave 1 weeks notice of the change) I ended up with two. There is an online page where you can order replacement bins but no way you can just ask them to take away a bin without leaving a new one.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ian

The council will recycle our old wheelie bin but since I paid something like £50 for it, I'm determined to hang onto it. My wife less so.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I reckon the council regularly recycle the recycling 'pod' that lives in our recycling bin for separating the paper/card from the body of glass/metal/plastic.

Fortunately, for some reason, they'll issue a new one free of charge, unlike the bins themselves.

ian

I may model it into anti-yeti armour and use it to safely venture to the upper heights of the garden where the fabled summer house, and home of the geriatric computers, lives. Once there, I will do as every venturer to the mysterious mountain top heights does, and learn kung fu and the mystical arts. I'll be back in five years to both fight crime and belabour expositions.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

/lost+found, shirley.

Depends who's fscking about with it.

Cudzoziemiec

You could have had my spare bin. The council decided to replace our garden bins with a different colour bin one week when I was away so not having put the old bin out (because they only gave 1 weeks notice of the change) I ended up with two. There is an online page where you can order replacement bins but no way you can just ask them to take away a bin without leaving a new one.
Dalek.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I ordered a new wheelie bin but misunderstood the cryptic form and ended up with a speedboat instead.

/out of date reference
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Why do I always wait until the last minute to pack?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Beardy

• Shedist
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Partner is in an hotel in Dorchester on Thames for English Music Festival.

Facebook gives his location as Attleborough.

Looking at Dominion Hospitality's website, it seems guests in this chain's sites are misplaced there, be they in Amesbury or Yeovil!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
GeoIP location giving incorrect results is well into BONG Not News territory by now, surely?  Unless something particularly unfortunate (eg. a police SWAT team) decides to act on that information, I suppose...

(One day I need to actually visit Arnold, Nottingham and wave to the guys on the AAISP support channel from there.)

Cudzoziemiec

Where do you think the world's largest crane is? Perhaps in the USA? Maybe China? Or in a gigantic Russian mine? No, it's at Avonmouth Docks! It can lift 250,000 tonnes and "has a unique ability to relocate from one lifting position to another – an engineering first." It's not staying at the docks though, it arrived there from Ghent and is being sent to Somerset to construct Hinkley Point C.
World's largest crane

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Where do you think the world's largest crane is? Perhaps in the USA? Maybe China? Or in a gigantic Russian mine? No, it's at Avonmouth Docks! It can lift 250,000 tonnes and "has a unique ability to relocate from one lifting position to another – an engineering first." It's not staying at the docks though, it arrived there from Ghent and is being sent to Somerset to construct Hinkley Point C.
World's largest crane
Could do with a better picture.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
It's big, but it doesn't say it can lift 250,000te, though 5000te at 50m is very impressive.  I'm not sure what it means my maxiumum load movement, but think about that - quarter of a million tonnes.

The biggest heavylift ships are less than half that and they can do single lifts of things like the Brent or Murchison topsides, or move drill rigs about

https://gcaptain.com/megamachines-dockwise-vanguard-worlds-largest-heavy-lift-ship/

https://www.arup.com/projects/brent-delta-topside
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

Sorry, I assumed "maximum load movement" meant the maximum it could possibly lift, presumably at minimum (zero?) extension over minimum distance.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I was wondering if it was load x radius i.e. 5000te x 50m = 250,000 te.m
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens