Author Topic: Etrex 35 navigation prompts  (Read 1467 times)

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
Etrex 35 navigation prompts
« on: 27 August, 2020, 09:34:32 pm »
Just recently started using an Etrex 35 Touch as my trusty old Legend Cx had started to be less than reliable and I fancied something with a bit more connectivity (and didn't think that it was stuck in 1999!).  Anyway, I've got a bit of an issue with the turn prompts when navigating by "Route" in as much as I don't get any.  The big white arrow comes up on the map but that's it - no audible alert, no turning the screen on and no detailed junction view - all of which Just Happened with the old Legend.  I'm sure that there must be something obvious which I'm missing but I can't find it so hence why I'm asking here.

The route was created in Basecamp and exported directly to the device as per the process I've used for years with the Legend;
The "Distance to Next" data field shows the right distance so the unit knows where the turn is;
Tones are switched "On" in the main Tones menu and a loud one has been selected for turn alerts;
Guidance text is set to "Never" because "When Navigating" puts the text up effectively full-time.

This is such basic functionality (sort of the point of having the GPS) that I can't think how it's so difficult to turn it on.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Etrex 35 navigation prompts
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:18:23 pm »
I've had one of the Touch range, and others on here have had the 35 itself.

They are bad units.  If you can still return yours, I strongly suggest you do.  If you can't return it, your best option for the sake of your mental health is either to throw it out the window or to sell it to your worst enemy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:21:32 pm »
Yup, I talked Garmin into replacing a dodgy 35 with a 30x. Supposedly inferior but absolutely bombproof reliability.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:25:40 pm »
... whereas I was touring Japan when mine bricked itself, so I didn't fancy talking to Garmin in Japanese.  I ended up with a Wahoo, which was cheaper than the course of counselling is have needed had I continued with the Touch, and was much more reliable.  I haven't used one, but the Garmin 530 is also meant to be very good.