Author Topic: Cycling injuries- the gorier the better.  (Read 154746 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Cycling injuries- the gorier the better.
« Reply #325 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:56:41 pm »
Owwww argggggh! Do those exercises (I didn't  :().

Lessons for us all to learn about mudguards there, but I'm not entirely sure how to apply them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #326 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:32:34 am »
What a freakish occurance. GWS.

Yep - what are the chances? For a while I told myself that it happened to save me from a much worse accident further down the road... [Yeah, right!]

That weekend I got my GF to buy me a lottery ticket. Apparently it doesn't work the other way round!
“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price.” ― Khalil Gibran

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #327 on: 22 November, 2015, 06:35:13 pm »
Not very gory, I'm afraid:

The result of darkness combined with damp leaves on the Two Tunnels Greenway in Bath this afternoon. Hip also bruised and stiff. Wrist sore too. Bike basically OK and clothes just dirty, not ripped.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #328 on: 22 November, 2015, 09:42:49 pm »
Ouch! What bit of you actually is that Reg?

Reg.T

« Reply #329 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:54:43 pm »
Forearm, just below the elbow (my hand at the top of the shot).

I also tweeted the pic, which a few folk picked up and passed on to the council, who've now sent workers out to spend a few days clearing the path  :thumbsup:

Hip rather sore to flex today, so have been pathetically shuffling round rather than walking. Hoping that'll improve rapidly in the next couple of days.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #330 on: 23 November, 2015, 10:17:20 pm »
Ouch! Heal completely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #331 on: 23 November, 2015, 11:46:41 pm »
Reg, the hip will almost certainly take longer than the arm to recover but it's probably ok.

« Reply #332 on: 24 November, 2015, 09:13:11 am »
Reg, the hip will almost certainly take longer than the arm to recover but it's probably ok.

This^.  Mine's still sometimes tender to a prod, and that's after 3 months.  Initial recovery (bruise coming out) after a 20mph low-side took at least a month.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #333 on: 24 November, 2015, 08:42:50 pm »

This^.  Mine's still sometimes tender to a prod, and that's after 3 months.  Initial recovery (bruise coming out) after a 20mph low-side took at least a month.

I still get pain in my hip after nearly four years.
Milk please, no sugar.

Reg.T

« Reply #334 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:33:54 pm »
Yikes. Thanks for the reality check. I was expecting it to take a few days to improve, but hoping to be pretty much over it in a few weeks. Guess only time will tell. I won't post daily updates, but today I've been limping rather than hobbling, and noticing some shoulder discomfort which was probably just drowned out by hip pain yesterday, so at least things are improving.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #335 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:36:15 am »
I think a fall onto my left hip caused a bleed into the trochanteric bursa and the resulting swelling took around three weeks to go down.
I didn't have any long-term trouble (but had a soft 10cm mound over the widest part of my hip).

« Reply #336 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »
It really is odd about the hip reactions people have in falls.  I was helped off a while ago and clattered onto my left side at some speed.  My arm felt a bit sore but I was sure I'd broken my hip, because I could hardly stand, much less walk.  I had to drag myself to the gutter to be out of the traffic.  It turned out that my hip was merely bruised, whereas my elbow was broken into three pieces.  The elbow needed an operation but there was hardly any pain at any time yet my hip was bad for weeks and required no treatment at all!

Get well soon, Reg!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #337 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:28:45 pm »
It really is odd about the hip reactions people have in falls.  I was helped off a while ago and clattered onto my left side at some speed.  My arm felt a bit sore but I was sure I'd broken my hip, because I could hardly stand, much less walk.  I had to drag myself to the gutter to be out of the traffic.  It turned out that my hip was merely bruised, whereas my elbow was broken into three pieces.  The elbow needed an operation but there was hardly any pain at any time yet my hip was bad for weeks and required no treatment at all!

Get well soon, Reg!

That sounds just like my hip injury.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #338 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:35:15 pm »
Yes, I wondered, Ruth.  Mine's a bit twangy now the weather's got cold and wet but other than that it's fine.  Hope yours is, too!

« Reply #339 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:37:27 pm »
The old boy that lived over the road from me fell outside and broke his hip. After he was found he was able to stand (with help) and walk inside before the pain and ambulance arrived

Not the best first-aider I've seen. I'd have pulled a blanket under him and let the ambulance crew pick him up where he lay. He was right as rain in short order!
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #340 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:48:47 pm »
Yes, I wondered, Ruth.  Mine's a bit twangy now the weather's got cold and wet but other than that it's fine.  Hope yours is, too!

Just the same as yours!  It was hurting in bed the other night and I couldn't sleep.  I can tell when it's going to be bad weather now so it's kind of useful  ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #341 on: 25 November, 2015, 06:33:21 pm »
I have been disappointed in the lack of weather predicting powers I received from my arm. Obviously hips are closer to the ground so know better, or summet
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #342 on: 25 November, 2015, 06:50:36 pm »
My hips ache, sometimes, on a morning (never been injured though). I suspect a touch of osteoarthritis. I've never noticed any enhanced weather predicting ability. I'll be keeping an eye on it from now on to see if there's any correlation.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #343 on: 25 November, 2015, 07:39:55 pm »
My hips ache, sometimes, on a morning (never been injured though). I suspect a touch of osteoarthritis. I've never noticed any enhanced weather predicting ability. I'll be keeping an eye on it from now on to see if there's any correlation.

Given the human mind's propensity for pattern spotting, I'm sure you'll find something!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #345 on: 27 December, 2015, 06:30:25 pm »
And for symmetry, the right hip.

2015-12-27_03-38-33 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #346 on: 27 December, 2015, 07:02:40 pm »
ooops, I hope the bike is ok and that you don't have other more extensive injuries.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #347 on: 28 December, 2015, 10:49:52 pm »
Managed to ride the bike 40km home without any obvious issues. On inspection today the rear mech & right pedal are nicely scuffed and a bruise has appeared below the road rash on my thigh.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #348 on: 01 January, 2016, 05:06:34 pm »
With bruising:

IMG_3171 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #349 on: 21 February, 2016, 06:23:47 pm »

Bruises to come later, no doubt. TBH I'm more annoyed that I ripped my nice Gore jacket and buckled my wheel...damn you, pothole! >:(