Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3900018 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #400 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:30:09 pm »
My first nocturnal pootle for a long time (discounting last Friday's Pickled Egg Affair) and also my first since becoming cliplessless. I have returned to good old rat-traps without toe-clips because the act of unclipping hurts my arthritic ankles.

It was indeed a gorgeous night - shirt-sleeve order (I cannot be bothered to change into lycra these days for under 20 miles): mild, gentle breeze, few clouds, a sliver of new moon and the one and only creature I noticed on the way round was a diminutive fox cub which bounced across the road in front of me.

16.75 miles at 11.3 mph.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #401 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:32:35 pm »
22 miles this evening. I drove to Derby to take my car in for a service and then rode back through Little Eaton, Ripley, Alfreton and Clay Cross. Quite hilly and a headwind, but good to be out on a warm sunny evening 8)

Yeah! You're still alive!  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

CathH

« Reply #402 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:34:48 am »
Will anyone join me in saying that this was the best morning so far this year? Gentle cool breeze, sunshine, clear sky and simply deafening dawn chorus!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #403 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:36:13 am »
Will anyone join me in saying that this was the best morning so far this year? Gentle cool breeze, sunshine, clear sky and simply deafening dawn chorus!

I would but I've only just got out of bed! :D

« Reply #404 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:32:46 am »
I've seen two dawns in the last week, that's more than enough for May. Should only see one in June (somewhere near Penrith probably) and one in July (along the south coast near Rye, which will hopefully not be obscured by sodding rain clouds).

(Enough ladies names...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #405 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:49:48 am »
Tuesday and Wednesday were mostly spent driving to North Wales & back.  But it was worth it, cause the new tandem feels so right (and we've barely started fettling yet! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #406 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:30:07 pm »

I will, Cath.  I woke (noises outside) at 05:45; every thing was rosy.  Had coffee and managed a short (8km) toddle around before returning to make tea & brekkies for SWMBO.

« Reply #407 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:35:10 pm »
It was a lovely morning, but marred by the idiot woman in the Range Rover who deliberately rammed into the rear wheel of a cyclist on Peterborough Road. He turned off, and I chased her. She refused to even look at me when I knocked on her window to complain.  >:(

bobajobrob

« Reply #408 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:44:05 pm »
I'm off work with a migraine. I'm going out for a couple of hours in the Cotswolds in the glorious May sunshine. *sigh*

cc93

« Reply #409 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »
Usual 15k commute to work

Raced a small deer the length of a field (I came second)

Took lunch into the park and watched a heron cool off in the middle of the pond

(Not quite David Bellamy yet)

« Reply #410 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:00:42 pm »
44 miles in the New Forest very warm 28 degrees

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #411 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:45:43 pm »

Yep - near perfect. I can't wait for the ride home - I'll take the riverside path out of Derby for a pleasant change to the A52.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

border-rider

« Reply #412 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:49:49 pm »

It's been like that all week here, and I've been out every day before breakfast :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #413 on: 08 May, 2008, 04:03:14 pm »
A commute evolved into a pub pootle and by sheer coincidence a certain Fatbloke of this parish was at the same pub. Well I never!

Lovely beer, lunch, tide in, etc. Perfect!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #414 on: 08 May, 2008, 04:05:53 pm »

A 40 mile ride out to Hanningfield Reservoir (which, incidently, is brimming to overflowing),  evolved into a pub pootle and by sheer coincidence a certain Wowbagger of this parish was at the same pub. Well I never!

Lovely beer, lunch, tide in, etc. Perfect! :thumbsup:

Bloody Easterly headwind on the way home though! >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #415 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:01:33 pm »
Good ride from Bristol to Magor via Severn Bridge, Chepstow and Caldicot,
to meet the Bristol Thursday Old Time Cyclists. Pub lunch at the Golden Lion - excellent beer from the Wye Valley brewery.

Some of the 30 riders leaving the pub for the return to Bristol.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #416 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:04:25 am »
That looks like fun.

We went out for a spin on the new tandem.  Getting better all the time.  It's hard not to ride it hard - it just wills you on.  Fantastic fun - even with two tents on the back! ;D
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #417 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:53:13 am »
That looks like fun.

We went out for a spin on the new tandem.  Getting better all the time.  It's hard not to ride it hard - it just wills you on.  Fantastic fun - even with two tents on the back! ;D

TWO tents? :o

His 'n Hers? ;D

Mind you I should not be suprised having witnessed Butterfly's modus operandi relating to cycle panniers.
She carries more stuff than own ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #418 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:54:52 am »
Two different tents for different purposes.

I believe and hope that, in both cases, Butterfly & I will be sharing the same inner tent. :D
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #419 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:14:31 pm »
Not yet, hope to later on this evening.  Went for a 5 mile run, looked like a beetroot on my return to the gym.  Have been shifting heavy stone planters for the last hour and then have a curtain pole to put up, better dash.

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #420 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:47:47 pm »
A lovely commute (apart from first 5-6k)from Bristol to Taunton at about 3.00-ish this afternoon!  Weather's lovely!
Sheep we're off again.

« Reply #421 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:00:55 pm »
D1 had a couple of cranesbill (geraniums) in her garden that had faded away from my patch.So it was off with a trowl to bring back samples and collect some eggs from the hippy,wood carver's small holding. 

Turned it in to 25 glorious miles.Bald head now fully tanned.Arms not too bad.Legs are always slow to catch the sun but 'tis only May.

N

Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #422 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:10:35 pm »
A lovely commute (apart from first 5-6k)from Bristol to Taunton at about 3.00-ish this afternoon!  Weather's lovely!

Did you go down Cheddar Gorge?

Mrs. Wow and I took the tandem out for the first time for a couple of weeks. Ice lolly on the sea front then round the usual loop to the butcher's in Wakering (I used to teach one of the old blokes in there :o) and along a bit of bridleway. The rape was out but Jan had swallowed a clarytin before we set off and wasn't too badly affected.

15.95 miles in 1h 32m 1s.

« Reply #423 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:17:09 pm »
Sounds lovely, wow. I wish I were retired! ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #424 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:52:46 pm »
Sounds lovely, wow. I wish I were retired! ;)

So do I...  ;)