Author Topic: 'Out of Stock' UK  (Read 13314 times)

Re: 'Out of Stock' UK
« Reply #25 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:01:59 am »
UK isn't the only place running out of stock. Our local asiatic superstore is running out of Patak's stuff and is a fortnight behind with the new delivery. Well stocked on thai, chinese, japonese and other non-indian stuff though

Davef

« Reply #26 on: 14 March, 2021, 06:58:45 am »
UK isn't the only place running out of stock. Our local asiatic superstore is running out of Patak's stuff and is a fortnight behind with the new delivery. Well stocked on thai, chinese, japonese and other non-indian stuff though
It might not seem like it but Wigan is still part of Great Britain.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:38:47 pm »
It might not seem like it but Wigan is still part of Great Britain.
And presumably is experiencing the same difficulties getting various ingredients as the rest of the country.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2021, 09:59:57 am »
'Global demand outstripping supply' seems to be most mentioned reason.

Spoke to Spa about B17std saddles - in stock possibly August, likely next year, and probably not for <£100...

Though Brooks saddles are apparently not selling/posting internationally atm.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #29 on: 07 May, 2021, 11:20:42 am »
The unavailability of Shimano stuff is crazy. For the first time in ages, I found myself needing (ok, wanting) some bike parts: I picked up a GRX 46/30 crankset on eBay, and realised I needed a GRX front derailleur to match the weird chainline. GRX front derailleurs seem to be ridiculously scarce, with used ones going for more than the new price on eBay! Then, of course, I discovered that as said derailleur is available in braze-on only, I need a specific clamp-on adaptor - which, of course, is also out of stock everywhere (though the larger version is easy to get hold of). It's as if the exact stuff that I want is the most difficult to find. :facepalm:

« Reply #30 on: 07 May, 2021, 11:36:14 am »
Hmmm.  Perhaps I shoudl be dismantling my now redundant bicycles and making a mint on ebay ...

« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2021, 05:55:42 pm »
I picked up a GRX 46/30 crankset on eBay, and realised I needed a GRX front derailleur to match the weird chainline.

Mine works fine with a 6870 Ultegra Di2. It's near the limit of its travel, but it still works.

I need a specific clamp-on adaptor - which, of course, is also out of stock everywhere (though the larger version is easy to get hold of).

You could shim the larger one?

« Reply #32 on: 07 May, 2021, 07:23:36 pm »
... I need a specific clamp-on adaptor - which, of course, is also out of stock everywhere (though the larger version is easy to get hold of)...

Would Shimano shim 34.9 to 28.6mm work with larger GRX clamp adaptor?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #33 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:07:21 pm »
... I need a specific clamp-on adaptor - which, of course, is also out of stock everywhere (though the larger version is easy to get hold of)...

Would Shimano shim 34.9 to 28.6mm work with larger GRX clamp adaptor?

I picked one up on eBay (via Best Offer, fortunately accepted!) so I'n sorted now. :thumbsup: It's been a bit of a hunt for parts that should be pretty straightforward to get hold of, though...

« Reply #34 on: 07 May, 2021, 10:02:05 pm »
Shimano finned road disc pads are out of stock in most places i have looked. Was in LBS and bought last pair, he said it will probably be a couple of months for delivery at least. Ordered 4 pairs from Holland, cheaper and arrived here in 4 days.

« Reply #35 on: 07 May, 2021, 10:43:09 pm »
You only need those things if you're doing Alpine descents. Not a lot of call for that in Holland.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 08 May, 2021, 01:45:12 am »
Shimano finned road disc pads are out of stock in most places i have looked. Was in LBS and bought last pair, he said it will probably be a couple of months for delivery at least. Ordered 4 pairs from Holland, cheaper and arrived here in 4 days.

Thanks for the heads up of short supply. Just ordered two pairs of metal ones with fins. I want to use these for the ride to the sea side in the summer, if it goes ahead. I was going to wait until sooner to buy them, but if there is risk of supply issues. I'll get them now.

Which reminds me, I should have ordered a new bottom bracket...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #37 on: 08 May, 2021, 11:56:01 am »
You must be feeling better QG, I hope.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #38 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:45:23 pm »
Patak is a British company. When hitchhiking up the M1, some years back, I got a lift with their accountant who talked about this new business he was helping launch. Not long after their products started appearing in supermarkets. Their Biryani paste is delicious. 
The Tile Collector

« Reply #39 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:51:08 pm »
As the sole U.K. distributor is possibly the biggest in the world, shipping stuff to one of the smaller eu based distributors first seems unlikely before or after brexit. The shimano shortage seems less bad currently in the U.K. than the rest of the world, particularly the U.S.
Well rather than speculate re Brexit being the cause. I asked my mate who actually works for Madison if Brexit has been an issue for Shimano kit.
This was his answer
"Yes it has. Shimano is affected partially. Their basic to medium range is more expensive because of the European wearhouse and production site"
The Tile Collector

« Reply #40 on: 22 May, 2021, 10:51:01 am »
........European wearhouse and production site"[/i]

:) That's shimano for you................

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 22 May, 2021, 11:03:04 am »
As the sole U.K. distributor is possibly the biggest in the world, shipping stuff to one of the smaller eu based distributors first seems unlikely before or after brexit. The shimano shortage seems less bad currently in the U.K. than the rest of the world, particularly the U.S.
Well rather than speculate re Brexit being the cause. I asked my mate who actually works for Madison if Brexit has been an issue for Shimano kit.
This was his answer
"Yes it has. Shimano is affected partially. Their basic to medium range is more expensive because of the European wearhouse and production site"

So Brexit has made stuff made and stored in the EU more expensive for us. I think that was mentioned in 'Project Fear'.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #42 on: 26 May, 2021, 08:38:39 am »
I was reading an article on the building materials shortage this morning. Among the various factors was that the cost of moving a 40ft shipping container from Asia to the west has risen from $1000 to $8000 in the last year 'becoz covid'. The article also went on about unprecedented demand for materials as people renovate their homes etc, the same can probably be said for the surge in bike sales last year (though I was rather hoping the 2nd hand market would be flooded by now with nearly new bike that people realise they didn't want afterall...)

Brexit is an issue, but not THE issue. A remainy mate of mine works for Maersk and says as much. When I was speaking to Ribble earlier this year about my delayed bike, the guy said that UK suppliers were shifting buying directly from Shimano Japan because they thought it might be quicker... But that is still beholden to the increased shipping costs.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #43 on: 26 May, 2021, 09:03:17 am »
One of my raw materials (Soja isolate) is still stuck on the Ever Given - should have been delivered weeks ago. They are still trying to decide who pays for that disaster. But in the meantime, no production of this food stabiliser for my Russian customers.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #44 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:35:53 am »
Brooks saddles are getting very scarce now.  S/h ones selling on the Bay of Thieves for as much as new ones from retailers (who mostly don't have any, or have managed to find OEM stock from somewhere).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 05 June, 2021, 10:30:49 am »

It looks like some Shimano brake pads are getting very scarse in .UK. A friend of mine has a birthday coming up and I asked them "What do you want for your birthday?" I was slightly surprised by the reply that came back.

"What's stocks of disk brake pads like where you are?"

So they are getting a set of brake pads for their bike for their birthday.

Stocks are quite low even over here, but there's a few of the big German shops with stock, they just won't ship to the cursed isle...

J
--

« Reply #46 on: 05 June, 2021, 01:58:48 pm »
There's that many empty containers at the railhead for East Midlands Gateway* (A newish complex of all the main logistics players) they've bought in extra lifting gear to stack them higher. I don't know how it'll be sorted, or who's paying.

* Nicely landscaped and with lots of tree planting to isolate it from the nearby picturesque villages and with several new bridleways of varying surfaces.

« Reply #47 on: 09 June, 2021, 07:57:17 pm »
I notice on a Netherlands cycling Facebook page that bike manufacturers have a 55+ week wait for parts to complete bike builds.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #48 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:36:25 pm »
to add: "reasonably priced" (~ 25 euro) 11 speed chains are nearly impossible to find in Dutch and German webshops atm.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:42:30 pm »
to add: "reasonably priced" (~ 25 euro) 11 speed chains are nearly impossible to find in Dutch and German webshops atm.

I used to pay €38 for a KMC X11SL from Mantel. My most recent was €53 from one of the German places...

J
--