Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250231 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #1925 on: 21 May, 2020, 08:39:08 am »
I started Traditional Base last week. I had to stretch 4 times in the 1hr 15 of Whorl on Sunday.
Fletcher yesterday, which is 1 hour 30 minutes and with an IF of 0.68. I gave up at 45 minutes after having to stop 3 times to stretch my hip/psoas.
I give up. Gonna wait on my MRI letter and hope not to get too fat.

« Reply #1926 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:43:57 am »
I'm wondering whether my recent hamstring disaster which has put me totally out of action for weeks was partly due to the TrainerRoad pedal technique sessions. 

I have always had tight hamstrings - I know this from Pilates.  They are under-used and inflexible, but have never caused me any real problem, so other than stretching I pretty much ignore them.

It was only when finishing the TR base month, which included quite a few "clock" intervals requiring to pull through the bottom of the stroke, that I borked the hamstring while running.  Coincidence? Did I overdo the pulling?  Who knows, but I'll be avoiding these when/if I resume.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the single-leg exercises also put a lot of strain on the hamstrings and did actually feel quite painful at the time.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1927 on: 21 May, 2020, 10:31:17 am »
I don't do the single leg exercises. I think that without a really good core then they are actively bad for my technique as I use my pelvis in an attempt to smooth everything out. At least the clock exercises have the other leg along for assistance.
Commiserations on the hamstring. Take your recovery gently and don't push it too far too fast. Mine's never got back to 100% after I pulled it almost 20 years ago (and then tried to come back far too fast to help the team I was playing for).

« Reply #1928 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:08:26 am »
I don't do the pedaling exercises. They're a load of rubbish. I've always assumed that they just put them in sessions that would otherwise be too boring for those with short attention spans, rather than for actual training benefit.

simonp

« Reply #1929 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:36:59 pm »
I avoid most of the drills. The workouts are hard enough already. I have been told my pedaling style is “punchy” which is probably coach speak for grossly inefficient.

S2L

« Reply #1930 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:50:05 pm »
100 seconds at 6 W/kg this morning... quite pleased... until I look at people who can hold that for an hour...  ::-)

« Reply #1931 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:08:22 pm »
I have been told my pedaling style is “punchy” which is probably coach speak for grossly inefficient.

;D 

I'm going to follow the advice here and ignore the drills when I re-start TR.  If it feels wrong it's probably wrong!

« Reply #1932 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:28:00 pm »
I don't do the pedaling exercises. They're a load of rubbish. I've always assumed that they just put them in sessions that would otherwise be too boring for those with short attention spans, rather than for actual training benefit.
Same.

Particularly as a lardarse, I am never going to be a spinner, stop trying to make me do 1w/kg @ 100rpm.

#AllTorque

rob

« Reply #1933 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:02:20 am »
I avoid most of the drills. The workouts are hard enough already. I have been told my pedaling style is “punchy” which is probably coach speak for grossly inefficient.

I've seen criticism elsewhere of single leg drills.   I've never done them or had them prescribed.

I'm using my fixed race bike on the turbo and  using only one resistance setting.   Threshold work at 120rpm on the tri-bars is interesting but I am getting there.   Most work is between 90 and 110rpm which is a normal range for me.   I have been able to max out at 170rpm on short top end efforts.

LMT

« Reply #1934 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:25:03 am »
Pedalling exercises are fine if done right, the issue here is TR making you pull up through the stroke which is bad form.

« Reply #1935 on: 26 May, 2020, 12:19:03 pm »
I rode outside yesterday for the first time in 2020!
Had to stop halfway around a 25km loop to stretch my psoas/hip. I guess being outside and getting to stand up/freewheel/move around is not much better for it than sitting on the turbo. It's super tight today, even just sitting in my (new, nice) office chair. It's really got to me now - I'm not interested in training or even listening to performance type cycling podcasts (TR, FastTalk, Fascat, CX Radio). I'm going to put the bike away for a bit and find something else to do - there's no point in just keeping digging myself a bigger hole. :(

rob

« Reply #1936 on: 08 June, 2020, 03:49:17 pm »
Real life is now getting in the way right at the point where I have a list mojo.

No structured work for the rest of the month and just normal riding.   Hopefully I can reset myself in time to salvage something from this year.

« Reply #1937 on: 08 June, 2020, 04:23:40 pm »
CTT sent an email today implying that club TTs might be allowed starting in July.  :thumbsup: Maybe that will help with getting the mojo back?

I've put my turbo away (and dismantled my laptop "table"). The bikes have gone in the back-garden storage area. I have physio exercises (for my calf muscle to fix my hip!), and he said I could ride but that I should stop as soon as I got tightness in my hip (and that the turbo was a better idea than outside where I would have to ride home). I can't muster the motivation to get changed and psyched up for a turbo ride only to have to quit after 15 minutes of aerobic riding. Gonna just make sure I get a long walk in each day as that doesn't bring on the hip tightness.

rob

« Reply #1938 on: 09 June, 2020, 09:31:47 am »
I've never been able to do the local club TTs as I couldn't get back from town early enough.   Once we move there's a chance as there seems to be a local series run by the club that I intend to join.   I haven't worked out where the turbo is going to go in the new place yet.   It doesn't have a garage but there's a shed and a patio.

rob

« Reply #1939 on: 06 July, 2020, 10:12:48 pm »
I am back on the turbo with an 8 week plan for an event that may or may not take place.  I have quit my job but the spare time I was supposed to have is being used for other things.  The turbo is currently on the patio while the weather holds.  I’ll need an alternative come Winter.

« Reply #1940 on: 07 July, 2020, 09:13:26 am »
Quitting your job to train seems a little excessive! ;)

I'm filling the garage with a project car. So whenever it is that I'm fit enough to train, it'll have to be outside or in the gym (maybe they will be open by then). One of the nearby gyms has Wattbikes, so maybe I can get TR to talk to that.  Otherwise, I'm not gonna get much value from the TR proposition (then again, I'm grandfathered in, so it costs me £100 a year or something, and I like all their other tools too).

« Reply #1941 on: 07 July, 2020, 09:18:37 am »
CTT sent an email today implying that club TTs might be allowed starting in July.  :thumbsup: Maybe that will help with getting the mojo back?

I've put my turbo away (and dismantled my laptop "table"). The bikes have gone in the back-garden storage area. I have physio exercises (for my calf muscle to fix my hip!), and he said I could ride but that I should stop as soon as I got tightness in my hip (and that the turbo was a better idea than outside where I would have to ride home). I can't muster the motivation to get changed and psyched up for a turbo ride only to have to quit after 15 minutes of aerobic riding. Gonna just make sure I get a long walk in each day as that doesn't bring on the hip tightness.

It will be time trials, but not quite as we know it. Have a look at the full CTT guidance.

rob

« Reply #1942 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:43:22 pm »
Quitting your job to train seems a little excessive! ;)

Annoyingly I have another one to go to mid Sep.   Current lot seem to want me to do stuff which is most annoying.

« Reply #1943 on: 08 July, 2020, 01:42:05 pm »
I've found that despite having 2 x 12" and 1 x18" fans on Zwift, I can't face it when it's warm outside. Was pissing sweat on a z2/z3 effort last night. Still not really enjoying the combination of my pretty new teeth and cycling on the road alone (better in company), so been running more and trying to stick to intervals, long runs and sociable runs, when all I want to do is run at tempo a pretty long way.

Chris S

« Reply #1944 on: 08 July, 2020, 02:25:36 pm »
GPLama (AKA Shane Miller) reckons you get much better cooling from directed/ducted fans, rather than the general "spray it everywhere" room fans - which is one reason why he rates the Kickr Headwind; that, and it's output is directly related to your input.

simonp

« Reply #1945 on: 08 July, 2020, 03:16:41 pm »
GPLama (AKA Shane Miller) reckons you get much better cooling from directed/ducted fans, rather than the general "spray it everywhere" room fans - which is one reason why he rates the Kickr Headwind; that, and it's output is directly related to your input.

I bought this and I love it. I find I want my HR to tick over 170 so it goes to max output on the harder stuff. I don't use it set to speed mode as I'm always using TrainerRoad and want the cooling to be based on effort rather than speed, which doesn't vary much in an interval workout, since it's related to cadence.

« Reply #1946 on: 09 July, 2020, 01:36:25 pm »
The fan the TR people recommend is not available in the UK, but this is a close approximation:
https://www.cleva-uk.com/products/vacmaster-air-mover

Much cheaper than a headwind, though you'll have to control it manually. There's also a discount code TRAINERROAD10 which gets you 10% off, such was the demand from the UK based TR peeps! ;) giant thread here: https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/uk-users-looking-for-a-lasko-fan-check-this-out-thanks-to-hugo1/9554

« Reply #1947 on: 09 July, 2020, 01:50:52 pm »
The fan the TR people recommend is not available in the UK, but this is a close approximation:

Much cheaper than a headwind, though you'll have to control it manually. There's also a discount code TRAINERROAD10 which gets you 10% off, such was the demand from the UK based TR peeps! ;) giant thread here: https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/uk-users-looking-for-a-lasko-fan-check-this-out-thanks-to-hugo1/9554

Thanks for the info, Duncan.  My floor fan just doesn't do the business in hot/humid weather.  Ordered with code!

« Reply #1948 on: 09 July, 2020, 10:08:20 pm »

I've got one. It does shift a lot of air.

I've considered getting a remote control mains plug adapter so I could turn it on from my turbo when I've warned up, but not bothered so far, just stand up and reach over to do it when I need to.

rob

« Reply #1949 on: 09 July, 2020, 10:16:12 pm »
Using the turbo outside I thought would be refreshing but I have been over heating even in the current tepid conditions with quite a lot of cardiac drift.   There is an outside plug socket for the mower so I could run my fan from there.  It seems a bit excessive, though.