Author Topic: Sportive Website Content – A Debate  (Read 5152 times)

Sportive Website Content – A Debate
« on: 02 March, 2011, 10:30:38 am »
Hi Everyone,
As you know we’re organising PEAK 100 – Peak 100 Spring Classic Sportive | KidsCan Charity Cycling Event  – a brand new spring classic cycle sportive. We have already had a great success with The Macc Monster in 2010 - The Macc Monster - Home - and we’re hoping to emulate that success with this event, before repeating The M.M. again.
As you can see both event have their own dedicated websites which I believe is the norm for sportives.
What I would love to know is this:
When you look on Sportive websites, does video content sway you into whether you sign up, or is it just a nice addition?

We’re hoping to shoot some footage of the route for PEAK 100, but I was just curious as to what keen cyclists such as yourselves thought about this!
I’d really appreciate some feedback.
Many Thanks,

KidsCan 

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Sportive Website Content – A Debate
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2011, 10:36:09 am »
I think that video is a good addition to an information site about an event

I am hoping to add a video to my event site (Avalon 400 audax)this year

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2011, 10:53:37 am »
Looks like you have tall thin riders on your sportives!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:37:19 am »
Hi Jaded,

Is that us or Vorsprung who have tall thin riders?

AndyH

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »
I agree with vorsprung that it is a good informational addition, however it wouldn't really sway me one way or the other.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2011, 12:54:12 pm »
Hi Jaded,

Is that us or Vorsprung who have tall thin riders?

I think Jaded's remark was made to you KidsCan.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »
Yes, it was a reference to the incorrect aspect ratio  :D

The compression is pretty harsh and I'd expect an event that was selling itself as slick to make a better fist of the video. How did you put it together?

« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:49:48 pm »
Yes, it was a reference to the incorrect aspect ratio  :D

The compression is pretty harsh and I'd expect an event that was selling itself as slick to make a better fist of the video. How did you put it together?

To be honest, we were trying to keep costs at a bare minimum in order to maximise the amount of money raised by the charity.

The video was created by me hanging out of my colleagues car window with a hand held camera filming Andy from Peak Cyclesport in Macclesfield as we went round the course! Not that you can tell of course...

It's not exactly Ridley Scott standard of production value, but it hopefully gave you a bit of an idea of the Macc Monster course!

I'm not too sure how else we could have filmed to be honest.
Any ideas?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »
Anyone care to guess what %ge of Audaxes have been route-checked by motor vehicle?

(You can't start a thread with "Debate" in the title without someone having a dig of some kind ;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:57:55 pm »
It isn't the footage, it is how it has been put up on the site. The aspect ratio is wrong and it has been compressed with the wrong codec, so looks poor. Unless the original footage is that poor, in which case i wouldn't use it.

DanialW

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »
How can something be brand new and a classic?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2011, 02:40:15 pm »

In the context of sportives "classic" does not mean "of or adhering to an established set of artistic or scientific standards or methods" it means "of the first or highest quality, class, or rank"

It's a claim made that the sportive is really good, honest.  Because we say so  ;D

The MDC "Dartmoor Classic Sportive" is the same, it's only been around a couple of years

Whereas you know that the Bryan Chapman "Classic" route is a classic in all senses

AndyH

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »
Anyone care to guess what %ge of Audaxes have been route-checked by motor vehicle?
No idea. Would it be OK to do mine by Tractor ?
Or Fiat 500 perhaps ?

Tend to agree with Jaded. If you are to use video it'll only work if it's high quality. One of the best I've seen is a helmet / bike mounted cam of a recumbent doing the Llanberis pass in Snowdonia. It actually caught the feeling of being on the bike, so that may be something to try. Was that Charlotte? Hopefully someone will be along to post the link

EDIT - this http://bicycleslut.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/snowdons-pen-y-pass-on-a-low-racer-recumbent/. Took a few minutes to find because when I typed bicycle slut into Google my company's firewall through a hissy fit  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2011, 05:23:27 pm »
Took a few minutes to find because when I typed bicycle slut into Google my company's firewall through a hissy fit  ;D

You mean that someone has set the filter up to object to the word 'bicycle' !!! That's a pretty savage take on censorship   ::-)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »
Much as it would be a shame to sacrifice the amount of actual scenery captured on the film, I think the biggest single way of making it look more 'professional' without increasing the budget for making the video would be to have the camera stationary and filming riders going past.
Nice as it is to see the road, it would be more 'slick' if you eliminated the wobbliness caused by the fact that you are obviously holding the camera in your hand.
Either do that, or find a way of actually attaching the camera to the car in some way.
Don't get me wrong, what you've done is what I would prefer to see, but if you are trying to raise as much money for charity rather than attract the sort of people you want to attract then you need as many of the fickle proles as possible to enter which means you need to make it 'slick' and have 'wow' factor, rather than maximizing descriptive value to the connoisseur.

DanialW

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2011, 10:20:54 pm »
It's a claim made that the sportive is really good, honest.  Because we say so  ;D

You can't really go wrong in the Peak District. Point your bike the right way and pedal. Voila! Classic bike ride. I've been pulling that trick for five years, and nobody's spotted it yet.

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2011, 01:29:33 pm »
Hi everyone

I just want to say thank you for all your fantastic feedback.

We've got over 50 riders so far and I'm sure we'll get the rush of riders like we did for The Macc Monster the closer we get to the date.

Here's to a great event!

Many thanks,

KidsCan

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »
Hi. out of interest Kidsscan" How much 'actual money' went to the charity after all the admin n wages were paid to organise the event ? Thanks.

« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2011, 08:27:25 pm »
KidsCan,

Please PM me with a copy of Kidscans latest audited financial accounts so we can assess how much of the entry fee actually goes to charity.

thanks

« Reply #19 on: 09 March, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »
No need, I found the info. In the 2009 financial year they took in £184k and paid out £102k in payroll with a total cost base of £135k. So of every £1 entry fee then circa 60p goes straight down the toilet on costs.

Of the remaining £50k a further £21k was paid to the university of salford to also pay someones wages there.

KidsCan,

Please PM me with a copy of Kidscans latest audited financial accounts so we can assess how much of the entry fee actually goes to charity.

thanks