Author Topic: Gloves capable of coping with freezing conditions???  (Read 13379 times)

Re: Gloves capable of coping with freezing conditions???
« Reply #100 on: 05 December, 2021, 12:10:22 am »
I haz Buffalo mitts and PX Lobster gloves.  The Lobsters are warmer at the start of the ride, but the Buffalos are warmer at the end.  I expected the Buffalos to be more wind resistant.  Seeing as there is a big manual dexterity and price cost for the Buffalos I am not overly impressed, but maybe in colder weather or longer rides I would change my mind.
(Both gloves worn with merino liners).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #101 on: 05 February, 2022, 07:30:03 pm »
Just an update on my experience of the Buffalo mitts. I've only been out in weather cold enough for them three or four times and never long rides so far, but two observations.

Firstly, they're slippery. Riding on the drops, my hands are slipping down. Not enough to lose control and be dangerous, but just enough to be a little annoying. It's probably partly dependent on the bar tape; mine is a woven cloth, which Specialized call denim though it's certainly not the stuff your jeans are made from.

Secondly, after only wearing them a couple of times, they have changed the way I position my hands even when I'm wearing gloves with fingers. Now, when I'm on the hoods, which is probably my most used hand position, I have my whole hand wrapped round the "horn"* at the top, with four fingers on top of the brake lever. Previously, I used to ride with my hand a little lower down and two fingers wrapped around the base of the hood, between lever and bar.

*Yeah, this means buffalos make me horny.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #103 on: 06 February, 2022, 11:13:56 am »
Heated gloves, jackets etc. have their place, but I'm always wary of them. Lots of motorcyclists love them, but if they fail (flat battery, broken power lead) you could get dangerously cold if you are relying on them rather than layers. One of my customers showed me a blister on his hand from where a heated glove malfunctioned. He was on a motorway in lane 3 at the time, so had to work his way over to the hard shoulder with his hand burning...

Having said that, a reasonably insulated heated glove could work well for cyclists; I've found the worst time is just after a stop, especially if I've had my hands out of my gloves. Could be a few minutes of not feeling my fingers properly until I've started working again and started generating my own heat. Electric heating could help in those few minutes as long as the gloves are warm enough in themselves not to be dangerous if the electric fails.

« Reply #104 on: 06 February, 2022, 11:27:19 am »
I haz Buffalo mitts and PX Lobster gloves.  The Lobsters are warmer at the start of the ride, but the Buffalos are warmer at the end.  I expected the Buffalos to be more wind resistant.  Seeing as there is a big manual dexterity and price cost for the Buffalos I am not overly impressed, but maybe in colder weather or longer rides I would change my mind.
(Both gloves worn with merino liners).

Buffalo will be warmer without the merino liner, counterintuitive as that sounds.

« Reply #105 on: 17 February, 2022, 10:26:29 pm »
Possible, but condensation and pong.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #106 on: 25 October, 2022, 08:26:57 am »
Just a heads up - I got a pair of these a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-insulator-midseason-glove?sku=5360659575

For £13, these are really good as a stand-alone mild weather glove, or as a glove under mitts for medium weather, and as a liner under winter gloves in v cold weather. I've never found merino, silk or Assos thin liners to be much good in cycling use.

I've had a few different Grip=Grab gloves now, and all have been excellent. Fewer early stitching failures etc than Rapha or Castelli.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #107 on: 25 October, 2022, 10:38:03 am »
Just a heads up - I got a pair of these a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-insulator-midseason-glove?sku=5360659575

For £13, these are really good as a stand-alone mild weather glove, or as a glove under mitts for medium weather, and as a liner under winter gloves in v cold weather. I've never found merino, silk or Assos thin liners to be much good in cycling use.

I've had a few different Grip=Grab gloves now, and all have been excellent. Fewer early stitching failures etc than Rapha or Castelli.

Haven't looked at GG since a pair MrsT got me did its best to grip, grab and untape my handlebars a few years back.  I take it these don't do that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #108 on: 25 October, 2022, 01:24:13 pm »
No, there's a bit of silicon print on there, adequate but it's not going to unwrap your tape.