Author Topic: Stiff headset  (Read 1005 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Stiff headset
« on: 23 October, 2021, 05:40:05 pm »
45 degrees either side of straight ahead is OK, but any further and it's somewhat stiffer to turn, OK to ride with but I'm concerned for the general health.

It's a 15+ year old headset, so I'm assuming
1) Drop out fork, inspect for signs of wear and pitting
2) if it looks nasty, replace once I can find the relevant bits
2a) if not looking nasty, regrease and put back together

Anything else to consider?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Stiff headset
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2021, 06:02:23 pm »
You can get a similar effect if there is bearing misalignment or a bent steerer (e.g. after a crash) but it is probably what you think it is. If in doubt, you could replace the headset. If the problem still exists, more thorough investigation would be prudent.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2021, 06:10:19 pm »
Thanks, this one has not been crashed, it's my turbo trainer bike but does get used for the occaisional audax as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2021, 08:36:39 pm »
Hmm, does turbo trainer duty mean that headsets get loaded (albeit relatively smoothly) without a sufficiency of wiggling to distribute the grease?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2021, 09:02:18 pm »
Headsets on bikes used with turbo trainers often go rotten due to sweat damage. Keeping drips away from critical parts of the bike is easiest way to prevent problems.

Your plan looks good. If using a bike on a turbo trainer the choice of grease becomes more critical (high load, very waterproof, very low speed).

Is extra stiffness due to cables (brake/gear) becoming taught?

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2021, 09:50:18 pm »
Headsets on bikes used with turbo trainers often go rotten due to sweat damage. Keeping drips away from critical parts of the bike is easiest way to prevent problems.

Your plan looks good. If using a bike on a turbo trainer the choice of grease becomes more critical (high load, very waterproof, very low speed).

Is extra stiffness due to cables (brake/gear) becoming taught?
On observation  I don't think so,

Sweat damage on the other hand, possibly

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2021, 09:23:26 am »
Headsets on team spare bikes often wear unevenly- moving constantly through a small rotation in the wind and on uneven roads on the roof racks.
I’d suggest that a turbo bike would be subject to similar wear.

ElyDave

« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2021, 02:42:25 pm »
well, I finally got to the inspection, and good news, the bearing surfaces seem unpitted and smooth, but soemwhat dry.  The steerer tube itself (aluminium I assume) is also looking good, with very light deposits, possibly sweat that wiped off with a rag. 

I'll have a bit more shed time tomorrow in which I'll grease and reassemble.  Not bad for a 16 year old frame and fork that I've paid absolutely no attention to.