Author Topic: Essex to Portsmouth cycle  (Read 583 times)

Essex to Portsmouth cycle
« on: 10 November, 2021, 12:43:55 pm »
Last night I discovered that Portsmouth RNLI have named their latest boat after my Great Uncle. Due to the virus there hadn't been an official ceremony yet so hope to attend when there is

Depending on when it is I'm considering cycling down, possibly trying to raise a few quid for them in the process. Heading from near Chelmsford to Portsmouth or maybe Hayling Island as the foot ferry to Portsmouth lands right near to the RNLI station

Any input on route much appreciated. Google seems to suggest either through London but seems to use some pretty major roads or via gravesend/Tilbury ferry and then sorta via Crawley

Re: Essex to Portsmouth cycle
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2021, 12:52:06 pm »
50 years ago that was a regular ride for me, mostly on the A3 and A12 which were so very much quieter and smaller than now.  Just once I went via the Tilbury ferry and then down by Gatwick.  I think that if I needed to make the trip now then that would be my route.  No modern experience or advice, it just prodded a few memories.

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2021, 01:01:36 pm »
Check whether it’s suggesting main roads or the cycle ways that run alongside them. The A12 has a not completely terrible one, for example.

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2021, 01:14:32 pm »
I've done Chelmsford to Portsmouth a few times. A couple of times via London and another via the Tilbury ferry.

The last couple of times I planned the routes, I used Strava's route planner using "Follow most popular".

I'd say both were fine. There are shitty bits whichever way you go.

I've always split it over a couple of days as I've been fully loaded.

Have a zoom in on my tour maps to see which way I went:

Via London

Via Tilbury
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!