Author Topic: Fingerless gloves - good and bad experiences, please  (Read 8406 times)

Re: Fingerless gloves - good and bad experiences, please
« Reply #25 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:13:30 pm »
Currently using Specialized BG and very happy with them. I've also had good service from Cannondale & Chiba mitts in the past.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #26 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:39:57 pm »
i wear at the moment a pair of Endura mighty short mitts.

They are ok for £15 (Wiggle) decent padding and sweat absorbtion but i only potter 40 or so miles per ride.Medium size seem quite tight on my delicate hands.
Like every Endura product i buy they arrive with dangly bits of thread that i fear will implode the garment if i give it a quick trim.

N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #27 on: 03 May, 2008, 01:04:57 am »
Spesh BG here too. For when it gets cold I have some On One full length ones are are wind and water proof but not bulky.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #28 on: 03 May, 2008, 03:20:48 am »
Shock, another Spesh BG fan. Their sizing used to be on the small side and it was only when they updated their range a year or so ago that I could get a pair that fitted my big shovel hands. They are pricey but do seem to be holding up well. Was using basic Altura Gravity's before which were really good for the money.

I had a look at a pair of EBC's revolution velocity mitts in the shop the other day which looked like cracking value at £9 but the Protective road mitts looked especially tasty for drop bar users. I think I'll give these a shot when the BG's wear out.

« Reply #29 on: 03 May, 2008, 08:30:50 am »
Nike make fantastic short fingered gloves, if you can find them. 

They're the only ones I've found with the velcro bit on the palm side rather than the back of the hand - which makes much more sense to me, you can wipe the sweat off without scratching your face.

good winter gloves too. 

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #30 on: 03 May, 2008, 11:22:33 am »
Specialized BG Gel - Expensive (23 quid) and don't last.  In my case approx 2 months of riding.  Good padding though until it disintegrates

Assos - I forget which model of Assos mitt it was but they cost 25 quid as a Ribble special offer.  Features: great, loops to pull off, wicking fantastic.  Padding utter rubbish, they seem to have some very thin foam in them that is utterly inadequate.  Won't be getting any Assos gloves again.

Madison - the padding wasn't great but they are still going fine after 5 years

Mike Dyson - the "washable gel mitts" have great padding, reasonable wicking and have lasted me a year.  Also fairly cheap

vince

« Reply #31 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:44:22 am »
I had some Polaris ones that lasted a long time before falling apart. My Decathalon ones have very quickly lost their padding by contrast. I really want a pair of the white leather Gore ones, but I'm too mean to shell out £30.

I have just bought a couple of the Aldi ones for £3. I'm not expecting much, but I'll keep them for long rides where it is nice to be able to put on a fresh dry pair of gloves at about the 3/4 mark. Oh, that and a set at my parents' house - for the inevitable occasions when I forget mine ::-)

« Reply #32 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:54:43 am »
Spesh BG longevity seems to have gone downhill since the range update - old pairs lasted for age, got through 3 new pairs last year (maybe they switched manufacturers as well).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #33 on: 05 May, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
I don't wear them.  After 40-50 miles they bunch up around the base of my thumbs and cut off the blood supply.  I wear gloves in winter, but full-finger ones don't suffer from the same problem.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

vince

« Reply #34 on: 05 May, 2008, 11:04:14 am »
I'm not sure that I could ride without them. I've seen others do it, but it just wouldn;t seem right somehow  :-\

« Reply #35 on: 05 May, 2008, 12:48:20 pm »
Cycling without gloves can be a bit risky, I've come off enough to know that wearing mitts or gloves is a really good idea. See this thread for at least one example why (but not if you're squeamish).
Actually, it is rocket science.