Author Topic: Gas lantern o rings  (Read 1949 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Gas lantern o rings
« on: 04 October, 2017, 02:18:58 pm »
At scout camp last week it was discovered the Coleman gas lanterns we have had a slight leak, between cylinder and light fitting.  The cylinder screws into the lantern and a quick bit of surgery revealed the existence of an o ring that had lost its bounce through age.

Googling the lantern type and o ring spare didn't come up with anything useful.  Can I go to "o rings R us" and get one of the appropriate size, or are there temperature considerations to take into account, given that the expanding gas/vapour is Quite Cold?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Gas lantern o rings
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2017, 02:27:26 pm »
At scout camp last week it was discovered the Coleman gas lanterns we have had a slight leak, between cylinder and light fitting.  The cylinder screws into the lantern and a quick bit of surgery revealed the existence of an o ring that had lost its bounce through age.

Googling the lantern type and o ring spare didn't come up with anything useful.  Can I go to "o rings R us" and get one of the appropriate size, or are there temperature considerations to take into account, given that the expanding gas/vapour is Quite Cold?

There is an o ring kit.  But viton o ring that fits will be fine.
http://www.coleman.eu/UK/t-aftersales_spareparts.aspx

Re: Gas lantern o rings
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »
Viton is rated to -26c so I believe that should be acceptable. I don't think the expanding gas is quite that cold.

If you were to go to O-rings r us then measure as accurately as you can (so use a Vernier caliper) the inside diameter of the o-ring whilst it's as round as you can get it1 (do it in a couple of places so you get an average) and then measure the cross section of the o-ring itself2.

Your local bearing supply shop will be able to do this for you although they might have a minimum order value so be prepared to buy 100!

1 Alternatively place it on something conical and slide it down until it stops but without stretching it and then measure the diameter of the bit of the cone it stopped on.

Alternative 2 is to measure at the location of the o-ring but it's not always possible to get a caliper in there.

2 There are standard sizes of cross section 2.62mm, 3.53mm come to mind but I haven't sold O-rings for more than five years now (and many companies switched to metric whole numbers). Sadly if I still did I'd have been able to raid our old stores and post you one.

Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped