Author Topic: Tandem breakdown cover  (Read 2171 times)

Tandem breakdown cover
« on: 19 March, 2015, 11:23:02 am »
Anyone know of a company that does roadside recovery for tandems? How do you get home if your tandem is beyond immediate repair?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Re: Tandem breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2015, 11:35:16 am »
Same as on a solo and ring someone to come and get you? A tandem with both wheels off will fit in all but the smallest cars. A tandem with both wheels off will fit across the back of a black cab, and still have loads of room for team and kit- even if touring.

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:55:59 pm »
Our car insurance company provides us with a recovery service which is available for us regardless which "vehicle" we are actually using: car, solo bicycles or tandem. If you own a car, maybe you already pay for a similar service.

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »
Lexcycle Insurance cover anything cycleable up to 35KG  weight for £15 pa - a tandem tricycle is apparently within their capabilities

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2015, 10:32:04 pm »
In our experience I sit in a pub with a broken bike and Mr Smith uses a combination of lifts, trains and taxis to fetch the car to come pick us up.
We did find a taxi with a trailer at the next village after the Somerset Monument which took us to Bristol for a train once, but all the other times, it's me in the pub.

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2015, 08:39:18 am »
Thanks for all the replies. Some of the insurance deals seem reasonable, especially if they bring you home rather than taking you to the 'nearest place of safety'.
I like the idea of waiting in a pub until the chauffeur turns up but it's getting very difficult to find a pub open in the areas we like to ride.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2015, 09:39:38 pm »
Our car insurance company provides us with a recovery service which is available for us regardless which "vehicle" we are actually using: car, solo bicycles or tandem. If you own a car, maybe you already pay for a similar service.
Worth checking the small print on this. The RAC discount any vehicle under 125cc...    And I don't think the volume of flapjack I'm carrying counts   ;D