Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 288643 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.

That's a horribly badly written statement. "Their being an issue" is only the most blatant example (and not the most important).

Anyway, lucky you discovered this before exchanging.

Quite. I should say that the reply was a Frankensteined email which included text from (I assume) Severn Trent and the seller himself as well as his solicitor, so it’s not easy to apportion blame.

But what stood out for me was the it-is-what-it-is ness of the reply! Maybe they were hoping it might be something that I could live with? Perhaps with a bit off the price? Maybe someone else will  ???

But, yes - I’m very glad I made that recce.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Well. Given the current climate escapades x the shit state of England's waterways and water companie, I'd say you've just found out in time that bottom of the hill = bad idea.
Lucky escape for you. Better luck next time.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Very much so.

Jan and I ought to contemplate moving. We are in a house that once accommodated 8 people. It's just that family circumstances mean that we are permanently emotionally drained. We did go and look at a house in the summer, which would have been a slight downsize. There were two issues: firstly, there had been a loft conversion with a sort-of hybrid staircase/ladder leading to it. Jan took one look and decided she couldn't tackle it. I didn't find it difficult, but it was steep and I reckon it was a fatal accident waiting to happen for someone getting old and frail.

The other issue was that it was just off the sea front. Very convenient for going for a swim, but that area of Southend is barely above sea level. I'm not ruling out significant sea level rise in my lifetime, and even at current sea levels, a violent storm at high tide could well overwhelm the sea wall. I think if we do move, a stipulation will be at least 20 metres above sea level.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
A mistake agent in Hastings tried to flog the von Brandenburgs a gaff practically on the sea front.  Once they’d stopped roffling and asked how far out to sea it would be in twenty years time they took their custom elsewhere and purchased a Schloß a mile inland and halfway up a gert big hill.  Not long afterwards Hastings town centre was flooded.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Desirably properties have always been at the tops of hills, ever since the dawn of the industrial revolution.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The Met Office are hopeless. <5% chance of rain, they say, until 2pm.  Under clear skies I waxed the car.  It is now pissing down and I hadn't buffed it off.  This means starting again with a full wash and dry, if the rain ever stops.  Meanwhile, the car is matt and swirly.  2 hours wasted.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
[…] I waxed the car

Stay away from me, you freak!

;)

The Met Office are hopeless. <5% chance of rain, they say, until 2pm.  Under clear skies I waxed the car.  It is now pissing down and I hadn't buffed it off.  This means starting again with a full wash and dry, if the rain ever stops.  Meanwhile, the car is matt and swirly.  2 hours wasted.

Which is why I stopped using solid/thick waxes and use liquid wipe on/buff off chemicals. That way at least I can do a panel at a time and very quickly too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Don't forget, people, tomorrow it's to rain an hour longer.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
[…] I waxed the car

;)

+1 our Future Classic used to get taken to the car wash once a year whether it needed it or not. Now it doesn't even get that.

Don't forget, people, tomorrow it's to rain an hour longer.

Very good.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

As it's near my favourite Shropshire town, Bishop's Castle, I've been following the river level at nearby Onibury. Awaiting Environment Agency confirmation is the new record of 3.73m reached during Babet. https://riverlevels.uk/river-onny-onibury
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
[…] I waxed the car

;)

What's the difference between a car and a dolphin? ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
None if it's an old Renault.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Mr von Brandenburg has just shared photos of the freshly-flooded Hastings town centre in Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
The BBC tells me that this evening entails 'light rain showers, possibility of thunder, 9C'. It's been hammering down since 7pm without a break, the temperature has resolutely remained at 12C, and the world locally appears to be sinking underwater. Again. Fortunately I'm on top of a hill, but my under-construction extension (which I had thought I'd weatherproofed well enough to cope with most rain events) is filling up with water. Bah.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
13.7°C here. We've had about 5mm rain this evening, but a lot more is forecast for tomorrow. My weather station tells me that October is not yet the wettest month this year, but by tomorrow morning, I think it will be.

Hammered down all night. Cat drenched and very subdued. Guess big raindrops are heavy if you are a cat.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I had a message from my brother this morning asking what my rainfall data was for yesterday and today. He forgot to take a reading yesterday, and the two-day total was 22mm. My figures for the days in question were 2.9mm and 4.8mm, so he had about 3 times as much rain as we did. He lives less than 15 miles away as the cloud scuds.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Under clear skies I waxed the car. 
A sentence that starts off promising poetry but immediately descends into the most corrupt perversion.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

A very wet Sainos trip.
Waxed cotton ftw.

https://x.com/metoffice/status/1718599748486344930

Storm Ciaran, forecast to bring very strong winds and heavy rain to southern parts of the UK on Wednesday night and into Thursday.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Oh joy!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I seem to recall that we had a rainy season around this time last year, or maybe a little later.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Under clear skies I waxed the dolphin
A sentence that starts off promising poetry but immediately descends into the most corrupt perversion.
I made it more poetic for you.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
None if it's an old Renault.

Too good for this forum.