Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 288649 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Right now, it's -37c in Vindeln, Västerbotten, Sweden, where I spent a year in the early '90s. I'm almost jealous, as -36c was the lowest I encountered.
Wow zoinks! I think the coldest I ever encountered living in Poland was -20 (on which occasion my in-laws warned me "Don't run!" Not because of ice – this was out in the edge of the village, far too much snow to be icy – but in order not to breathe in big gulps of cold air). And you know what? I'm actually not jealous at all!
We had a winter sports day in February '91. I'd put myself down for downhill skiing, but it was touch and go whether it could go ahead, as the lifts were shut down once it got to -20c, as water would form on the lungs, apparently. Anyhoo, it did go ahead, as it was 'only' -19c! But it was NOT fun!

In winter '93/'94 it was below -30c for three weeks. The area central heating service was days away from running out of oil, because the icebreakers were stuck in the Gulf of Bothnia.
"Proper" winters! 🥶
I know that the record low temperature for Finland is -51.5° C, recorded at Pokka, because it's the village's claim to fame. The sign is about the only thing in Pokka, apart from a tiny cafe, (and on 2 visits I never saw any houses, so the population of the actual village must be tiny). But there are signs on the road counting down the distance to Pokka every 10 km from about 100km away. Satellite view of Pokka

PS it was pleasantly warm when I was there.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
According to “Exacta weather forecaster James Madden” we're in for SNOmageddon next week, but since he forecasts this without fail every year, usually in the Dily Brexpress, it can probably be discounted.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

According to “Exacta weather forecaster James Madden” we're in for SNOmageddon next week, but since he forecasts this without fail every year, usually in the Dily Brexpress, it can probably be discounted.
Indeed. Ventusky is showing next to no precipitation between today and the 21st.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
A lot of hair ice on today's walk
20240107_182758-COLLAGE by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Very Cold here. Temperature has plummeted to zero degrees overnight.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Apparently the NE airstream that's freezing us this week is know to meteorologists (in France, anyway) as the Moscow-Paris: -30° in Moscow, -12° in Warsaw and -5° in Paris.  Vaguely reminiscent of Napoleon's retreat and feels about as hospitable.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Crikey, it was cold last night.
Now 10am and it has soured to -2°.
 :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
A lot of hair ice on today's walk
20240107_182758-COLLAGE by The Pingus, on Flickr
Nice photos and it's pleasing to know that "real winter" is happening somewhere.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
It was 1° this morning when I went to the gym.  No need to defrost the car though, which was good.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
My grate frend Arnold reported a sprinkling of sneeuw in the middle of the Nether Lands yesterday.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Crikey, it was cold last night.
Now 10am and it has soured to -2°.
 :(
Bitterly cold
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Crawling up to 0°C just now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It's been snowing here for most of the morning but has only just started to settle. The temperature is 2°C though, so I am not expecting it to amount to much.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

It has started snowing here... very, very light - almost imperceptible, but there.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Oi, BBC!

Your poxy weather app is showing wall to wall sunshine so why is it cold, dark and uninviting in the Big Room when I have to go out?

sort it out u muppets!

Edit: light SNO when I set out for Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Mighty rushing headwind knocked 10 km/h off Vmax descending the Great East Face of Larrington Towers Hill chiz but was quite handy on the way home with panniers full of consumer nommables.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Apparently the Two Tunnels in Bath are flooded. Reports that the short tunnel is flooded chest deep are probably an exaggeration. Both Tunnels are locked, so there'll be no investigation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Snow flakes drifting about this afternoon in sunless Slough. Nothing settling though.. :)
the slower you go the more you see

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
I would not have said it was particularly cold here, but the office was 13°C this morning. By lunchtime this had risen to a balmy 14.5°C. It transpires that my darling employer had only switched the heating on at 11.00...
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Regulator

It was 1° when I went to the gym at 6.15 this morning.  No need to de-ice the car.

When I got back at 7.30 the sky had cleared and it had dropped to -1°.  Mr R had to de-ice his car to go to work.

Green Party Councillor

-3 in Paris CdG last night so plane had to be de-iced before flying to birmingham to collect us. We were therefore 55 minutes late taking off. Air France food though is much better than others.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
-5° in the shade just now. 0° in my workshop so butane heater won't work: no fettling today.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Cold and sunny here, but still no air frost this year yet. Close though: 0.2°C at 8.10am today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

It was -1° when I went to the gym this morning... where the heating wasn't working.  Added impetus to push that bit harder.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It was -1° when I went to the gym this morning... where the heating wasn't working.  Added impetus to push that bit harder.

Sounds like the last time I was in church in Norn Iron, in the long, long, long ago.  And the Stygian gym at Loudéac where we dossed down in 2007.

I would not have said it was particularly cold here, but the office was 13°C this morning. By lunchtime this had risen to a balmy 14.5°C. It transpires that my darling employer had only switched the heating on at 11.00...

Unless that's you wife, aren't they aware of the laws governing the temperature of workplaces, and the requirement to find an alternative location if they cannot meet them? IIRC it's 16C within 2 hours of official start. Of course doesn't apply to shop foors etc.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)