Author Topic: Learning to swim/improving swimming  (Read 82582 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Learning to swim/improving swimming
« Reply #525 on: 06 December, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »
800m in a lake this morning. Air temp around 0, water temp 3.

First experience of “after drop” (your core body temperature drops several minutes after leaving the water).

Haven't you had that when cycling in winter?

Davef

« Reply #526 on: 06 December, 2020, 02:44:01 pm »
800m in a lake this morning. Air temp around 0, water temp 3.

First experience of “after drop” (your core body temperature drops several minutes after leaving the water).

Haven't you had that when cycling in winter?
Not that I have noticed. I tend not to get too cold when cycling. The only time I have got really chilly is towards the end of LWL when I slowed down with “digestive issues”. I have experienced being warm when I finish cycling and the getting cold from not generating as much heat, but that is a gradual onset and can be solved by getting warm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #527 on: 06 December, 2020, 03:09:19 pm »
My fatty bits get cold, which doesn't normally bother me much.
An outdoor control on the HardBoiled 300 really floored me. Cold environment was OK but when I stopped moving...

« Reply #528 on: 02 April, 2021, 12:06:08 pm »
**** that was cold.     13.2c no wetsuit and not acclimatised
First swim this yeart

Davef

« Reply #529 on: 02 April, 2021, 12:19:18 pm »
I did a mile in a 10c lake this morning but wearing a wetsuit and was pleasant. My second swim of the year as I had a short session in a heated outdoor pool on Monday.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #530 on: 11 May, 2021, 11:30:50 am »
I've been swimming in the sea twice in the last week - well, I say "swimming", but the first time was more a case of going in, splashing about a bit then coming out. It was bloody freezing!

Problem is that I have to go at high tide, so last Wednesday that meant first thing in the morning. I eased my way in gently, until I was almost up to my armpits, then took the plunge... It was kind of OK for a couple of minutes, but then I started to feel the cold really penetrating through to my bones, so thought it would be wise to get out. Thank god for the Dryrobe. Took several hours to get full feeling back in my feet.

Second time, yesterday, was much better - it was high tide at lunchtime, so atmospheric temperature was much more pleasant, even if the water temperature was still somewhat on the bracing side. But it was fine once I started moving about and I swum up and down a few 'lengths' between the groynes.

I'm keen to keep it up and maybe even make this a habit, so I'm going again at lunchtime today. It would be nice to be a bit warmer but I feel a wetsuit would be overkill - besides which I don't think I could possibly get into my wetsuit at the moment. It was a snug fit even when I was two stone lighter than I am now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #531 on: 11 May, 2021, 11:50:55 am »
I joined the local gym this week on a "gym and swim" membership. Monday morning, there were 2 other people in the gym and no-one in the pool at all!
I'm kinda planning on alternating days, one day lifting, one day swimming (with 1 day off a week). We'll see how long I can keep that up for (have to get into the routine first).

ian

« Reply #532 on: 11 May, 2021, 12:06:20 pm »
It's good to be back swimming (in a warm pool, thankfully, I'm not swimming in the sea unless it's 25 degrees and up).

In some act of pandemic genius, they've implemented an extra lane which means you have to pass opposing swimmers with about 2 mm of grace.

citoyen

« Reply #533 on: 23 May, 2021, 12:16:02 pm »
I'm really getting into the sea swimming now - been trying to go at least a few times a week, tides allowing (swimming at low tide round here is no fun at all, as you have to wade out through mud and keep going for a mile before it's deep enough to actually swim).

I used to like bashing out lengths in the pool but sea swimming is a totally different proposition so you have to approach it very differently. The tidal currents around here are pretty strong so it's hard work and you can be paddling for ages without getting anywhere, but it's hugely invigorating. Although after about 30 minutes in the water today, I was starting to lose feeling in my fingers, which I took to be a sign it was time to get out... Contrary to what some of the other wusses out there today seemed to think, it's really not cold enough to require a wetsuit though - which is just as well for me because there's no way I could get into my wetsuit at the moment.

There was one other guy out there today who had all the gear - including flippers and a swim buoy. I think I'll pass on the flippers, but a swim buoy looks like an excellent idea - never happy about leaving my valuables unattended on the beach while I'm out there... I've just put in an order for ear plugs, because cold water down the earholes is really unpleasant, and some goggles, because I have no idea where my old pair are. And a bright red swim cap, because they're recommended for visibility in open water, which sounds sensible.

ian

« Reply #534 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:43:51 am »
I've enjoyed sea swimming in the Caribbean and Florida, but generally, I don't like cold. I did once swim in a very cold in Madeira and had to be revived with cocktails.

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was scuba diving off the Isle of Man, and I turned around and right there, looking back at me, the most fearsome of sea creatures. The Aquapig. Really, an entire – presumably dead pig – has somehow floated up behind me. Be careful out there.

« Reply #535 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:07:09 am »
I was once snorkelling in a lagoon on Hawaii.  The guy renting the snorkel said look out for the turtles.  Now this was almost 30 years ago and I was naive so was thinking tortoise size creature.

I was happily swimming along looking at fish, etc in slightly murky water when a turtle head came into view.  This was a Galapagos sized tortoise!  I have never swum so fast in my life.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #536 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:21:49 am »
I’ve started back swimming (indoor) with the reopening of the gym attached to my erstwhile regular place of work.  Its very very quiet just now for obvious reasons and for as long as it remains open its great for swimming practice with a lane to ones self.  I live a couple of miles away so its just folk like me who are using it just now. 

Generally I find swimming the form of exercise that benefits my upper body and core that I enjoy most - probably as i can see tangible progress (faster, further, perceived efficiency) reasonably quickly which acts as a virtuous circle.  Im going again tonight. 

citoyen

« Reply #537 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:13:33 am »
I've enjoyed sea swimming in the Caribbean and Florida, but generally, I don't like cold. I did once swim in a very cold in Madeira and had to be revived with cocktails.

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was scuba diving off the Isle of Man, and I turned around and right there, looking back at me, the most fearsome of sea creatures. The Aquapig. Really, an entire – presumably dead pig – has somehow floated up behind me. Be careful out there.

Probably normal for the Isle of Man. We're too middle class to have dead pigs in the water round here, though I did once find the rotting carcass of a porpoise on the beach. Seals have been spotted here recently but I've never seen them myself.

citoyen

« Reply #538 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:18:10 am »
I’ve started back swimming (indoor) with the reopening of the gym attached to my erstwhile regular place of work.  Its very very quiet just now for obvious reasons and for as long as it remains open its great for swimming practice with a lane to ones self.  I live a couple of miles away so its just folk like me who are using it just now.

Part of the reason I've taken to swimming in the sea is that ICBA to go through the rigmarole of trying to book a slot in the local pool. My wife is more tenacious and has been enjoying the quietness, often having a whole lane to herself.

Generally I find swimming the form of exercise that benefits my upper body and core that I enjoy most - probably as i can see tangible progress (faster, further, perceived efficiency) reasonably quickly which acts as a virtuous circle.  Im going again tonight.

I know what you mean. It's a good bang-for-buck form of exercise. Especially for me at the moment with a dodgy knee ruling out running. Sea swimming is not quite as efficient exercise-wise (might be better once I have my earplugs and can do proper strokes), but it's a still a decent workout pushing against the tide, and the cold means you burn shitloads of calories without doing much.

« Reply #539 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:19:14 am »
The guy who runs the cafe in Broadstairs, where the mini-golf is, often has binoculars set up on a tripod to observe the seals on Goodwin Sands.

citoyen

« Reply #540 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:26:41 am »
Goodwin Sands is slightly out of my swimming range, unfortunately!

Though I did once play cricket on one of the exposed sandbanks off Sheppey.

citoyen

« Reply #541 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:30:46 am »

I've experienced this, but wasn't aware the phenomenon had a name until I saw a video on YouTube* about it the other day. At least I now know what's happening - and that it's normal! (I've never experienced it when cycling though.)

I also now know that it's when you stop shivering that you really need to worry.

I've also learned the term "bioprene" - I have plenty of that at the moment.

*from Everyday Athlete Rach, who has a whole channel of videos about open-water swimming, which are all really good - amateurish in the best possible way. https://www.youtube.com/c/EverydayAthleteRach/about

ian

« Reply #542 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:36:29 am »

Probably normal for the Isle of Man. We're too middle class to have dead pigs in the water round here, though I did once find the rotting carcass of a porpoise on the beach. Seals have been spotted here recently but I've never seen them myself.

It's quite something to turn around and see an entire pig loom out of the murk. Thus was the story of the Aquapig born. The more prosaic explanation is that it fell off a boat, but I like to think there's an entire aquapig civilisation under the Irish Sea. Sadly, I opted not to continue my studies in marine biology, so the truth of benthic porcines has been left behind.