Author Topic: A saddle for the stoker  (Read 1206 times)

A saddle for the stoker
« on: 03 March, 2024, 07:12:26 pm »
My daughter is finding her saddle on the tandem increasingly uncomfortable. I think that this is in part because she is growing up, that she is heavier than she was when she was 9 and that I pay more attention to her complaints.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a saddle for a 14-year-old girl? While she does 'help with the peddling' she is not lifting her weight off herself when she peddles. I also suspect that she is not on her seatbones.

Are there any suitable 'bike fitting' places (London area) that will do a saddle fit - preferably with female members of staff whom my daughter won't feel embarrassed to talk about such things with?

Thanks

Re: A saddle for the stoker
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2024, 04:01:37 pm »
No knowledge about bike fitting places for offspring but my children, including a daughter the same age, have always liked this saddle on the tandem:

https://www.ranelaghcycles.com/m2b0s288p2921/SELLE-ROYAL-FREEWAY-FIT-LADY-M-FOAM-SADDLE

I think that's the width we have, but can check later if that looks like a goer. We have a Circe, so it's quite an upright position. We've toured on it, all good. On the rare occasions I get to stoke, I am always surprised how comfy the saddle is! I've picked them up for a few quid on eBay before, which makes it a good way to give it a proper test for not much outlay.

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2024, 01:46:27 pm »
For the sit bones get them measured. 

My wife now has an Ergon saddle with cutout and it makes a tremendous difference.

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/saddle-selector.html

« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2024, 07:47:30 pm »
London bike kitchen have a saddle library and have a bunch she could test out https://www.lbk.org.uk/saddle-library

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2024, 12:11:12 pm »
Thank you all for getting back to me. Some really good ideas.

A

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2024, 11:30:32 am »
Are you on the same tandem as you were 5 years ago? Your daughter's contact area may have changed considerably, but she may have outgrown the bike too.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2024, 11:08:56 pm »
Hi Paul, Sadly it is a different tandem. The bikes about the right size for her and we aren't cycling any mega mileage.

« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2024, 09:35:10 am »
Take a look at Isla Bikes.  Although they have ceased production of new bikes they are still stocking parts, including saddles.

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2024, 07:22:24 pm »
WHAT?! Isla bikes have stopped production?

That's crazy.

« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2024, 01:54:00 pm »
WHAT?! Isla bikes have stopped production?

That's crazy.

I know, its such a shame to see them go. I guess most people would rather buy their kids some 20kg fake suspension equipped BSO. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2024, 02:24:00 pm »
I guess most people would rather buy their kids some 20kg fake suspension equipped BSO.

I think the point was that:

a) Thanks to Islabikes, there are now alternatives to 20kg MTBSOs for children from mainstream manufacturers (parallels to Tesla and electric cars).
b) Isla had had enough, and would rather wind the company down that sell it and see the product quality deteriorate.

Still a shame, though.

« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2024, 06:56:13 pm »
My three all enjoyed their Islabikes, except the saddles! They've always chosen replacing with either a narrower version of the memory foam one above, or a selle diva if they've wanted to use a bagman.

I can well imagine that Isla herself didn't want to see the product go downhill, I wondered if that was some of the reason for stopping.

« Reply #12 on: 17 March, 2024, 07:39:20 pm »
CTC's advice page here - https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/guide-saddle-comfort-women

Bear in mind that the stoker of a tandem will mostly have a less comfortable ride than the pilot, and less comfortable than riding solo. Some of this is because a stoker usually has a more upright position, with more weight on the saddle.  But a major reason is not being able to anticipate road defects and being less in control of the movement of the bike.  It will mostly get better with practice.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #13 on: 18 March, 2024, 10:05:36 am »
Does your stoker setup include a bouncy seatpost? Even a small amount of travel can take the sting out of poor surfaces.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2024, 12:18:12 pm »
That's a good idea.

I will look in to that.

I think that her issue is mostly with 'long days in the saddle' but anything to help.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 18 March, 2024, 12:52:15 pm »
On which note, clothing (and perhaps Minty Arse Lardâ„¢) may be as important as the saddle itself.  IME it's not so much about padding as avoiding seams in the wrong places.

« Reply #16 on: 18 March, 2024, 12:57:17 pm »
Thanks Kim

She's not very fond of cycling shorts, but for longer rides she can be talked into it.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak