Author Topic: Fitting lock on grips to a carbon fibre handlebars  (Read 662 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Fitting lock on grips to a carbon fibre handlebars
« on: 03 December, 2023, 08:53:08 pm »
Need some advice, I'm looking to fit some selcof lock on grips to some carbon straight bars.  These grips https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/selcof-knurl-grip-black?_pos=1&_psq=gri&_ss=e&_v=1.0
  • How do I fit them?  The grips have what seems like a hard plastic inner, so do I soak the grips in boiling water and then push the grips on to the bars? Or should the grips just slide on?
  • Where do I fit the locking side of the grips, as there is only one end that has a locking ring.  So locking ring to the inside or the outside or doesn't matter
  • How tight do the bolts have to be so not to damage the carbon?  I have a torque wrench that goes that low.

More carbon questions to come.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Fitting lock on grips to a carbon fibre handlebars
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2023, 09:04:37 pm »
Usually lock-on grips just slide on, no warming required.

Unless you are dealing with superlight MTB handlebars, it doesn’t matter too much whether the locking collars are in or out. Some grips are meant to have them inside, some outside. Modern carbon bars usually have enough wall thickness to accommodate the pressure of the collars at both locations.

Just tighten the collars enough to not twist when you are riding. I would start around 4 Nm and snug up to 5 if needed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2023, 01:42:18 pm »
There's a strong argument for MTB grips (and particularly bar-ends) be only as tight as is needed to stop them rotating under normal conditions.  Slipping when you crash being a good way to prevent more serious damage.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2023, 05:14:02 pm »
There's a strong argument for MTB grips (and particularly bar-ends) be only as tight as is needed to stop them rotating under normal conditions.  Slipping when you crash being a good way to prevent more serious damage.

There just cheap black grips bought as I needed to replace several bar grips that are tatty.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2023, 07:37:55 pm »
So came to fit the grips and yes they jut slide on.  Now to do the lockring, as I'm replacing the black lockring with a red lock ring to match the red bits on the bike.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2023, 08:08:12 pm »
So the red clarke lock rings are to fit a grip with two cutouts

and the lockring on the grips only have the cut out on the bolty bits.

Can I just cut the grips an extra slot?