Author Topic: Fast Chain chain cleaner: new messiah or snake oil?  (Read 1002 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Fast Chain chain cleaner: new messiah or snake oil?
« on: 14 December, 2023, 10:04:20 am »
Or something in between?

An ad for this popped up on my FB feed. What do you think?

Does anyone have one?

I've been a take-it-off-and shake-it-in-white-spirits guy for a long time, but this looks tempting.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Re: Fast Chain chain cleaner: new messiah or snake oil?
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:22:02 am »
I'm with you on this, but prefer diesel to white spirit. Leaves lubrication behind inside the rollers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2023, 11:29:50 am »
Something in between, definitely.
I can see it being quite effective in directing a jet of WD40 or similar deep into the rollers. But it looks incredibly wasteful!  And I wonder how long before the seals between the rotating part and the static part fail, causing back-spray into the operator's face?  :sick:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Paul

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2023, 04:33:33 pm »
...Leaves lubrication behind inside the rollers.
What, diesel, or white spirits?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2023, 05:18:35 pm »
...Leaves lubrication behind inside the rollers.
What, diesel, or white spirits?

Diesel is an "oil" white spirit is a "solvent" - so diesel.

Have to say the gadget looks pretty wasteful in the way it sprays.  A look at the website and other products suggests that it's a bloke in his home with a 3d printer making a few bits (probably to order?)

. . . I've used one of the "clamp on reservoir and brushes" chain cleaner in the past but nothing really works as well as taking the chain off the bike - I've moved to using my ultrasonic cleaning tank with a weak degreaser solution and then waxing the chain in a slow cooker with a mix of wax and PTFE powder (one chain on the bike, one being cleaned/waxed ready to swap out to rinse and repeat)

Paul

« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2023, 12:05:33 pm »
I'm with you on this, but prefer diesel to white spirit. Leaves lubrication behind inside the rollers.
How do you get your diesel?

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2023, 01:28:56 pm »

If you know anyone that has an oil boiler and uses "35 second" fuel - that's diesel (with a red additive to stop it being used in vehicles) so you could dip their tank with a ladle!!

« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2023, 02:19:20 pm »
The red additive is just a dye. Red diesel can be used in a normal diesel car, it's just illegal :-)
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2023, 03:11:56 pm »
If diesel is good then why not just use used cooking oil?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2023, 03:20:20 pm »

If you're sensible enough to not own a diesel car, you can still just buy it at the filling station. The "minimum delivery 5 litres" label most pumps have is about measurement accuracy, not what they're willing to sell you.

« Reply #10 on: 15 December, 2023, 04:11:37 pm »
If you use disc brakes I wouldn't use it.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2023, 04:37:38 pm »
The red additive is just a dye. Red diesel can be used in a normal diesel car, it's just illegal :-)

That's what I meant!   Years ago I had a diesel Land Rover and on one occasion the revenue chaps knocked on the door and said they needed to dip the tank to test for red - I was innocent. 

I understand that the dye leaves a permanent trace within the workings of the engine that can prove the vehicle has been run on red diesel.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2023, 04:42:13 pm »

If you're sensible enough to not own a diesel car, you can still just buy it at the filling station. The "minimum delivery 5 litres" label most pumps have is about measurement accuracy, not what they're willing to sell you.

This is what I do.
Just bear in mind that Dinosaur Stations will only allow you to dispense it into specific containers: the plastic 5l ones they sell in the most Dino Stations, or the 20l metal jerry cans.
They won't authorise the pump if you are trying to fill milk bottles or anything else...