Author Topic: Thru-axles and trailers  (Read 858 times)

Arellcat

• Velonautte
Thru-axles and trailers
« on: 17 December, 2023, 10:08:36 pm »
I'm still looking at touring bikes (per history) and leaning towards a Kona Sutra.  I test rode one yesterday and quite liked it.

A potential dealbreaker that seems illogical if true, is how you tow a trailer if your bike has a thru-axle arrangement on the back wheel.  The Sutra's axle is basically a semi-flush hex socket cap on the left-hand side, and the axle ends up flush with the dropout on the right-hand side.  I am not very up to speed on tech developments of the last few years but this seems like a pain to deal with.

I have a Radical Cyclone trailer with a standard left-hand side tow hitch for a QR or solid/nutted axle.  I read about the Robert Axle Project, but an extra £60 just to compensate for this design decision is really annoying.  Are there any other solutions?
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

iddu

• Are we there yet?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
Re: Thru-axles and trailers
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2023, 11:22:23 pm »
If it's the right length and thread pitch, that would be just the ticket!  I had no idea Decathlon was doing quite so many accessories like that.

« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2023, 07:52:20 am »
+1 - I’d been looking for the same thing, thanks for this info

« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2023, 08:06:53 am »
I  used the Roberts axle project American company supplies trailer hitches for though axles.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2023, 10:01:01 pm »
I once met someone who had been towing their occupied child trailer with an alloy thru axle adaptor. They were ok and not growing any further apart...

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2023, 09:41:15 pm »
I have acquired said Kona Sutra and will take myself off to Decathlon once I've fettled the riding position.  :thumbsup: