Author Topic: Auto-shifting under load  (Read 711 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Auto-shifting under load
« on: 30 December, 2023, 10:08:14 pm »
I have 3x8 set up on one of my bikes. In lowest gear, under load, the chain drops from 1st to second sprocket. It stays in 2nd fine  ::-)
It runs perfectly up on the stand. However, there’s a little bit of play in the rear mech at the pivot. Is it just worn out or is there something I can do about it?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Auto-shifting under load
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2024, 04:12:10 pm »
Two thoughts:

If you have sideways play on the rear derailleur linkages/pivots that might be the problem with it "flexing sideways" under load

Can you tweak the cable adjustment a tiny amount to take the chain just a gnat's further onto the 1st sprocket (and check the limit screw isn't restricting the chain position on the sprocket)

Paul

« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2024, 06:19:08 pm »
After my last ride I tweaked it as you describe but I haven't tried it in anger since.

In its original set up, when it would stay in 1st gear, the mech would sometimes ping on the spokes, which is probably not a good thing and which is why I adjusted it. If I can't find a sweet spot (and god knows I need that first gear!) I'm wondering whether there might be enough room on the hub to put a small spacer on before the first sprocket, without compromising the lock ring, or causing the chain (when it's on the smallest sprocket) to foul the stays.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2024, 06:44:53 pm »
Hanger alignment?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Paul

« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:37:03 pm »
Ooh, that’s a good question. I don’t think so, but I’ll investigate. Is there a quick and easy method? Something about screwing something into the hanger and checking for parallel-ness with an axle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:43:33 pm »
A rear wheel with a Shimano (10x1mm thread) hub is the same thread as a gear hanger.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:46:03 pm »
Is the sprocket flexing? Years ago I had a fancy titanium XTR 8 speed cassette where the larger sprockets were mounted on a spider. Whenever I pedalled hard while in the lowest gear the chain would jump to the next sprocket. I changed the cassette for a cheap and cheerful steel one and the problem went away.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:58:44 pm »
A rear wheel with a Shimano (10x1mm thread) hub is the same thread as a gear hanger.
I think I have a shimano axle - is that what I need?

Paul

« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:59:55 pm »
Is the sprocket flexing? Years ago I had a fancy titanium XTR 8 speed cassette where the larger sprockets were mounted on a spider. Whenever I pedalled hard while in the lowest gear the chain would jump to the next sprocket. I changed the cassette for a cheap and cheerful steel one and the problem went away.

I’ll add this to the list if other efforts don’t succeed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:06:49 pm »
It is more accurate if you use a complete wheel, rather than just an axle.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:14:17 pm »
Other things to check:

Is the low gear stop adjusted a bit too tight, so bottom gear isn't fully clicked in at the shifter?
Is the shifter badly worn?
In the unlikely event that you're using a friction shifter, frame flex can tug the cable enough to move the lever*.  This shouldn't happen with indexed gears unless the shifter is really worn out.

You can check hanger alignment with a long steel rule and calipers, but you should remove the BB, wheel, and mech first.  This method also assumes the BB shell is in straight.  You should check for inward/outward bend and twist.  I have an old Cinder Cone MTB frame that had a visibly bent hanger, but after 20 minutes' careful tweaking it shifts impeccably.

*my old Thorn would always change to the middle chainring if I tried to sprint in the big ring
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:15:46 pm »
Here's a YouTube link showing how to do the hanger straightening thing with another wheel

https://youtu.be/TnwreRrorIA?si=Pvff-gcV8idyeKiq
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Paul

« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:48:04 pm »
Here's a YouTube link showing how to do the hanger straightening thing with another wheel

https://youtu.be/TnwreRrorIA?si=Pvff-gcV8idyeKiq

Brilliant! I get that now.  :thumbsup: