Author Topic: Long-gone bike shop?  (Read 2242 times)

Re: Long-gone bike shop?
« Reply #25 on: 10 January, 2024, 10:51:48 am »
My long-gone bike shop was Macleans (hand built featherweights) in Upper Street at the Angel Islington. My father bought bikes there before WWII, and our family had a tandem which I stoked with younger brother in child seat on the back, mother on her own bike. I bought few bikes from them in the 1950s/1960s, before my first Moulton in 1965 from a bike shop in Old Lode Lane in Solihull.

« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2024, 06:34:06 pm »
Anyone remember J.D.Whisker and their 2 shops, one on Kilburn and the other in Hertfordshire somewhere, as well as their ‘famous’ mail-order catalogue?

I think that they may still exist in Welwyn Garden City - a pal that had an LBS until about 3 years ago used to buy stuff from them.

They run an EBAY shop still clearing New old stock - I’ve had a few bits of Campag 10 speed from them.

« Reply #27 on: 11 January, 2024, 09:11:22 am »
Anyone remember J.D.Whisker and their 2 shops, one on Kilburn and the other in Hertfordshire somewhere, as well as their ‘famous’ mail-order catalogue?

I think that they may still exist in Welwyn Garden City - a pal that had an LBS until about 3 years ago used to buy stuff from them.

Given their catalogue was in such small print that listed an enormous range of items, I’m not surprised that they’re still selling off stuff to this day. I’ll look them up on eBay. 

They run an EBAY shop still clearing New old stock - I’ve had a few bits of Campag 10 speed from them.

Given the size of their catalogue, I’m not surprised they’re still selling stuff. I’ll have to look them up. The Kilburn shop was my LBS. The epitome of an old fashioned bike shop - frames and wheels hanging from the ceiling, the man in the shop wore a brown coat and if you just needed a single part, it would be in one of many drawers behind the counter, and he would know exactly where it was.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #28 on: 11 January, 2024, 11:04:57 pm »
Given the size of their catalogue, I’m not surprised they’re still selling stuff. I’ll have to look them up. The Kilburn shop was my LBS. The epitome of an old fashioned bike shop - frames and wheels hanging from the ceiling, the man in the shop wore a brown coat and if you just needed a single part, it would be in one of many drawers behind the counter, and he would know exactly where it was.
Describes Meadows of Cheadle exactly :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2024, 02:09:45 pm »
Very fond recollection of Settle cycles from the 1980's. The shop was a good !00 mile round trip ride form home. I used to ride out and spend an hour or so looking at what I considered to be exotic Olmo frames, Campagnolo kit, proper cycling clothing.  Although I had no money to buy any of it All quite rare to see in those days. All in a very low fuss and welcoming atmosphere. They also used to make, or at last rebrand, custom frames. A friend of mine had a made to measure touring frame from them that was truly beautiful and a great ride. All a bit different from my other accessible "proper" bike shop which was the original Ribble Cycles shop on Water Lane in Preston - pile it high and sell it cheap!!

« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2024, 09:14:10 pm »
RJ & J Picketts in Benfleet, was my local bike shop, and I often walked there after school, 50 years ago. That went long ago.
However, the bike I wanted aged 13, was a Claud Butler Electron, in yellow and white. There was one of these at James Brownings shop in Chalkwell. And that is still going strong as "James Browning and Daughter", supplying clothing and accessories to cyclists.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"