Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3816148 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #425 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:58:10 pm »
A lovely commute (apart from first 5-6k)from Bristol to Taunton at about 3.00-ish this afternoon!  Weather's lovely!

Boggle. :o

You commute from Bristol to Taunton ?! It throws my 12 mile commute into perspective.

I quite liked the dull weather today.  I found it was easier to spot the potholes than when you've got bright sunshine and sharp shadows of trees etc on the roads.  Another couple of weeks and I'll probably have learnt most of the potholes, but at the moment...<fx:bang, crunch, ouch...>
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #426 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:07:18 pm »
I'd been trawling the domestic violence database, correcting issues and I was losing the will to live by 2pm so I went to the boss and suggested time off for good behaviour.
Left at 3pm and did and extra 11 miles on the way home  :thumbsup:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #427 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:24:46 pm »

Left at 3pm and did and extra 11 miles on the way home  :thumbsup:
Oh, bugger.  ::-)

;)

Am I right in thinking you're glad to be back on the bike? :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #428 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:35:56 pm »
Glad is an understatement  ;D

« Reply #429 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:27:44 pm »
havng just bought a bike from Clarion of this parish, I got off the train about half way home and had a lovely 2 hour pootle home.  Nice bike, now i've changed the saddle for a brooks ;)

Chris S

« Reply #430 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:35:05 pm »
havng just bought a bike from Clarion of this parish, I got off the train about half way home and had a lovely 2 hour pootle home.  Nice bike, now i've changed the saddle for a brooks ;)

Getting busy filling up the new house with bikes... good man  :thumbsup:!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #431 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »
I haven't had a pootle today, but I done lotsa fettling today :)
Getting there...

CathH

« Reply #432 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:44:50 pm »
Commuting and fettling today - humungous CDE* requiring a new tyre and tube - luckily I'm the anal type who keeps a spare folding tyre in the bottom of her locker, and never goes even to the end of the garden without a spare tube...  :D

*Catastrophic Deflation Event

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #433 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:30:34 pm »
Commuting and fettling today - humungous CDE* requiring a new tyre and tube - luckily I'm the anal type who keeps a spare folding tyre in the bottom of her locker, and never goes even to the end of the garden without a spare tube...  :D

*Catastrophic Deflation Event

I take a spare tyre with me wherever I go... :-\
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #434 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:36:02 pm »

+1 for me.

No bike riding today but just back from local Evening Track meeting. First time grandson has seen track racig and he was amazed at the idea of bikes without brakes.  Good mixed entry - about 15 youths, some on minute bikes through to a pro in full team kit.  Flood lights on for the last Devil and final 10 mile chase.

« Reply #435 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:43:24 pm »

I was just thinking... "who would have a spare tyre at work, that's just paranoid", and then realised I do have a spare tyre sat next to me. :-\

...of course, it's a 26" tyre and my commuter is 700C...
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #436 on: 10 May, 2008, 09:46:23 am »
a nice ride on the new recumbent to woking from slough useing parts of ncn4 . i even did a extra climb and prove i need a lower grandad gear  :)
the slower you go the more you see

annie

« Reply #437 on: 10 May, 2008, 10:39:22 am »
No but my little sis will be arriving any time now, haven't seen her for a couple of years

Arthur

« Reply #438 on: 10 May, 2008, 12:38:16 pm »
I've just got back from 19 flattish miles on the fixie in slightly under an hour. Now sitting at the PC waiting for the shower to become available, with sweat dripping into my eyes, a very dry throat and calfs which feel like they've been beaten with iron bars. Damn, it's hot out there.  :)

Chris S

« Reply #439 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:05:14 pm »
Much fetching and carrying with this:

this morning. Hiding in the shade with a Cold One now, before offering myself as slave to the Gardening Goddess.

« Reply #440 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:24:03 pm »
24.6 miles around the lanes

vince

« Reply #441 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:42:20 pm »
Return to Derby last night to collect my car. Not as sunny, but no headwind this time. I've saved £13 in rail fare, got two rides in and all in all it probably took no more time than using the train.

There might be something in this cycling lark  ;)

alan

« Reply #442 on: 10 May, 2008, 03:23:52 pm »
Return to Derby last night to collect my car. Not as sunny, but no headwind this time. I've saved £13 in rail fare, got two rides in and all in all it probably took no more time than using the train.

There might be something in this cycling lark  ;)

I collected my car from the dealership.The snobby folk at Stratstone  are perhaps unacustomed to having lycra,cleats & helmets in the showroom ;D

« Reply #443 on: 10 May, 2008, 03:33:01 pm »
35 mile ish pootle from Norwich to Loddon and back via Stoke Holy Cross, Brooke,Mundham, Claxton, Surlingham passing through stretches of NCN 1. Back into Norwich via Trowse and the obligatory climb up Gas Hill (puff,pant..) to home.

Best ride I've had so far on the new bike, after 200 miles on it things are really starting to come together on it . Don't you just love those days when you just feel real good on the bike and you feel like you could just keep going? :thumbsup:

Rob

« Reply #444 on: 10 May, 2008, 05:06:03 pm »
87km of bumpy Yorkshire wolds. It was a bit 'ot for it, but im not complaining. I've got tan lines now! :thumbsup:

« Reply #445 on: 10 May, 2008, 05:12:50 pm »
Just a gentle 20ks to Windsor and back through Windsor Great Park. However the cadence did reach 165 (48 x 19 with 32mm tyres), a record for me, on the way back.  :thumbsup:

Matthew

Jezza

« Reply #446 on: 10 May, 2008, 05:26:14 pm »
About 30 miles, down to Dunwich then round Minsmere and back inland. Beautiful day for it. 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #447 on: 10 May, 2008, 05:55:40 pm »
After having fitted a new front mech, I tried the Mercian out on a trip to the LBS. Just as the lights changed, a young chap on a mountain bike went blasting past me so I gave chase. That Mercian can shift! I think he thought he'd left me for dead, but I hurtled past him on the bend before screaming up in front of the bike shop.

It turned out that he was going there too. An exchange of smiles and "After you!" he said. ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #448 on: 10 May, 2008, 06:07:55 pm »
I took Mrs Jaded out on a trip this morning, to breakfast by the canal near Slimbridge. Glorious. Watching people messing about on boats.

It was hot and there's been a lot of rehydration going on.

32 miles.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #449 on: 10 May, 2008, 06:20:12 pm »
Yes, a short pootle to Nunhead Cemetery. What an incredible place! 

Ice cream on the way back. Woolly had a blue one.  ::-)