Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165651 times)

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5200 on: 08 June, 2012, 06:16:50 pm »
My car is fixed.

Hardcore!  Most people prefer gears.
That made me laugh! ;D

Having said that, the electric car I am designing and building is a single speed fixed. :thumbsup:

No, no cake.

Apparently the clutch failure was not 'all the fluid leaking out of the cylinder through its broken seals', but a much more straightforward 'the clip that attaches the pedal to the cylinder had come off at the cylinder end'.

To say that I'm relieved is an understatement. I wasn't going to be able to pay for our holiday if it had been the former, and as Mrs Ernst has paid and I need to pay her when she's worked out the exchange rate, it would have been a fucking disaster.

Sounds like what happened to MFWHTBAB's car in Cromer last year. He fixed it with jubilee clips at the roadside, lying with his head wedged under the steering column and his legs out of the door, while I passed him a selection of clips from a cheap Halfords multipack. His god-daughter's mother and sister looked on from the back seat!

It was that day we hit upon the idea of precious metal jubilee clips as wedding rings - several months before we were ever actually engaged. ;)

I think it was also the moment that I fully realised that here was a man who could Fix Things Big Time.
Awwww, that brings back some nice memories of you.
 :-* :-* :-*

I was lying there desperately hoping that it wouldn't put you off me. ;D

« Reply #5201 on: 08 June, 2012, 06:21:42 pm »
Not at all, definitely the opposite!  ;D

:-* :-* :-*
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5202 on: 09 June, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »
No, no cake.

Apparently the clutch failure was not 'all the fluid leaking out of the cylinder through its broken seals', but a much more straightforward 'the clip that attaches the pedal to the cylinder had come off at the cylinder end'.

To say that I'm relieved is an understatement. I wasn't going to be able to pay for our holiday if it had been the former, and as Mrs Ernst has paid and I need to pay her when she's worked out the exchange rate, it would have been a fucking disaster.

Sounds like what happened to MFWHTBAB's car in Cromer last year. He fixed it with jubilee clips at the roadside, lying with his head wedged under the steering column and his legs out of the door, while I passed him a selection of clips from a cheap Halfords multipack. His god-daughter's mother and sister looked on from the back seat!

It was that day we hit upon the idea of precious metal jubilee clips as wedding rings - several months before we were ever actually engaged. ;)

I think it was also the moment that I fully realised that here was a man who could Fix Things Big Time.
He was a year early.  ;D

Meanwhile, I've just received a phone call that was not from the person I expected it to be from and began with the words "I miss you."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5203 on: 09 June, 2012, 10:17:54 pm »
I've spent all day riding 130km including 1800 metres of climbing to create a calorie deficit.

More good news.While I've been doing that Marj has been baking  a carrot cake with icing onnit

:thumbsup:

what calorie deficit ;D

« Reply #5204 on: 10 June, 2012, 10:11:41 pm »
Simonp and I have been together for a whole year today  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5205 on: 10 June, 2012, 10:18:56 pm »
Yeay! Time to celebrate with a tandem. Oh, you already have!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

gordon taylor

« Reply #5206 on: 11 June, 2012, 05:56:02 am »

Time flies when you're having fun!

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #5207 on: 11 June, 2012, 10:44:08 am »

Doesn't it just! :thumbsup:
However, I can't believe it has only been 19 months for Arch and me.  It feels like we have been together for years, in a good way. :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5208 on: 11 June, 2012, 10:56:35 am »

However, I can't believe it has only been 19 months for Arch and me.  It feels like we have been together for years, in a good way. :)

I can whole heartedly concur, it seems like five minutes ago I stood on Thirsk market place, in the rain kissing (the now) Mrs T, one Wednesday night.

That happened a few days over 12 years ago....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5209 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:10:32 am »
Time is supersonic.
40 years of marriage has passed by frighteningly quickly.It's true that good things gives time wings.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5210 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:34:29 am »
I think I've found a ride that qualifies as the next logical step back upto doing 200km.
It's 150km,it's not too far away,doesn't have any AAA points nor a ridiculous amout of climbing.Plus it's running before my scheduled 200km Group Perm in mid July.

« Reply #5211 on: 11 June, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »

Indeed it does. :thumbsup: :-*

« Reply #5212 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:01:42 am »
I took No2Daughter down to the bus on the tandem. For the first time since the break.
 :)

« Reply #5213 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:10:15 am »
Ah. Excellent news boab  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5214 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:51:47 am »
Likey like-like!
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5215 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:00:33 am »
 :thumbsup: fboab

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5216 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:10:47 am »
This is not good news...

...this is boab-wording fantastic news!

;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5217 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:23:24 am »
June has arrived in London!  8)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5218 on: 13 June, 2012, 09:54:41 am »
Just got off the phone with Hewitt Cycles, who will be sending me a replacement BB and chainset for my Cheviot (see Rant thread).   :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5219 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:18:58 am »
Zev is much happier and more active now, after her visit to the vet yesterday. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5220 on: 13 June, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »
The PSU for the Popcorn Hour has arrived, and is now fitted! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5221 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:16:40 pm »
Following an extended chat at the station with one nice and competent East Coast employee on Monday, and a second today with a different but equally pleasant East Coast employee since the return advance tickets were released last night, I have in my possession 28 pieces of the very finest orange cardboard.  I started both conversations with the same opening gambit... "Sorry, you're not going to like me!" 

I have presunktly what I needed, at the very cheapest available price and reasonably OK times of day.  Me'n'LindaG are going onna jollyday, with bikes and tents and music and pretending to be young in a field!  Hurrah!

Quite a lot of sleeps first though....

« Reply #5222 on: 14 June, 2012, 12:44:30 pm »
Following an extended chat at the station with one nice and competent East Coast employee on Monday, and a second today with a different but equally pleasant East Coast employee since the return advance tickets were released last night, I have in my possession 28 pieces of the very finest orange cardboard.  I started both conversations with the same opening gambit... "Sorry, you're not going to like me!" 

I have presunktly what I needed, at the very cheapest available price and reasonably OK times of day.  Me'n'LindaG are going onna jollyday, with bikes and tents and music and pretending to be young in a field!  Hurrah!

Quite a lot of sleeps first though....
Sounds brill! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5223 on: 14 June, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »
Yay!

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5224 on: 14 June, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »
I've been given a little bit of a pay rise :)