Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164830 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5425 on: 19 September, 2012, 02:12:17 pm »
It has only taken 2 days and multiple attempts with the O2 website but I now have a workling sim card in the new phone! YAY!

Now I just need to install all my apps again (I wish Googlebackup would backup apps too, not just the config files[1])

[1]It doesn't even do that for some of them.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5426 on: 19 September, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »
Last Wednesday, MFWHTBAB came over on the train, and surprised me by turning up at my work on the Brom. First cycling since the first week of June, when he detatched his left Achilles tendon. Over the course of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, he clocked up about 7 miles.

On the Friday, he drove his car round from more or less outside CrinklyLion's house (where we park it, there being no parking at my flat) to my work, about half a mile, and managed, just, but was depressing the clutch the bare minimum by the time he arrived.

Today, he drove from his place in Manchester to the other side of Liverpool and back, to pick up an Ebay purchase.

He's mobile again! :thumbsup:
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5427 on: 20 September, 2012, 02:33:31 pm »
A nice man from Spa Cycles just called to say he's finished building my new wheel and is about to send it off :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5428 on: 20 September, 2012, 06:13:54 pm »
Someone came to my work today to buy a bag off me.

I had two for her to choose from.

She bought both!

I'm having takeaway for dinner.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5429 on: 21 September, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »
Bread & butter pudding
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #5430 on: 21 September, 2012, 06:28:45 pm »
I just kept a cold-caller from BT on the phone for 10 minutes before *he* hung up on *me*

win.

« Reply #5431 on: 21 September, 2012, 08:35:16 pm »
That has made my day....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5432 on: 22 September, 2012, 04:51:49 pm »
I got a letter from The Revenue this morning.

They owe me a few hundreds of quids, cheque to follow. :thumbsup:

Being sensible, I'm not running out to Buy Stuff, but enjoying the fact that this money will cover the impending increase in my rent for well over a year, allowing me to breathe again, and occasionally buy filling for my sandwiches.   ;)

Anyway, I haven't got room for any More Stuff!

<looks round room at piles of Stuff.   :facepalm:>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5433 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:55:22 pm »
I suppose this is good news:

My younger son has just won a poker tournament and the first prize is a holiday in Las Vegas.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5434 on: 23 September, 2012, 08:25:21 am »
I have exchanged a few texts this morning with my ex MiCL, as happens from time to time.  She was doored when riding her bike, nearly 15 years ago, resulting in smashed teeth and chipped bones and a permanently damaged shoulder/neck meaning she suffers from chronic persistent pain and hasn't ridden a bike since.  Last year she had surgery to fry a nerve which has helped a bit with the pain management which is possibly a contributory factor to this morning's news...

She's just started riding her bike again.  Just the 10 minutes into town so far... but she said
I am so happy with this newfound freedom, really strange and I thought I'd feel scared but instead feel happy."

She would like to work up to riding out to the coast road.

Bikes.  Aren't they wonderful things!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5435 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:01:33 am »
That's really good news CL! :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5436 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:04:18 am »

My younger son has just won a poker tournament and the first prize is a holiday in Las Vegas.

I have just learned that the poker tournament was at Westfield, Stratford. Does that make him an Olympic Champion again?  :D

« Reply #5437 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:18:23 am »

A Cautionary Tale ....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5438 on: 23 September, 2012, 09:28:30 am »

A Cautionary Tale ....

I've never watched him play poker, but I don't think he indulges in any other sort of gambling.

Whenever we've discussed it, he strikes me as being very level-headed, recognising within himself when he's not playing well and then withdrawing to cut his losses. I think I'm right in saying that his poker has never cost him a penny - his first tournaments were free ones, online and he won quite a bit from them - and it provides him with a small but steady stream of income.

Anyone would think he was a trained chess player.... ;)

« Reply #5439 on: 23 September, 2012, 12:28:00 pm »
I have exchanged a few texts this morning with my ex MiCL, as happens from time to time.  She was doored when riding her bike, nearly 15 years ago, resulting in smashed teeth and chipped bones and a permanently damaged shoulder/neck meaning she suffers from chronic persistent pain and hasn't ridden a bike since.  Last year she had surgery to fry a nerve which has helped a bit with the pain management which is possibly a contributory factor to this morning's news...

She's just started riding her bike again.  Just the 10 minutes into town so far... but she said
I am so happy with this newfound freedom, really strange and I thought I'd feel scared but instead feel happy."

She would like to work up to riding out to the coast road.

Bikes.  Aren't they wonderful things!

Yes, they are wonderful things, I woke this morning to cold, hard rain, needn't have gone to the shops but did, several car drivers on the way indicating I needed one of those jackets where you can shake hands behind your back, big grin, it just gets you like that somedays doesn't it.   :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #5440 on: 23 September, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »

A Cautionary Tale ....

I've never watched him play poker, but I don't think he indulges in any other sort of gambling.

Whenever we've discussed it, he strikes me as being very level-headed, recognising within himself when he's not playing well and then withdrawing to cut his losses. I think I'm right in saying that his poker has never cost him a penny - his first tournaments were free ones, online and he won quite a bit from them - and it provides him with a small but steady stream of income.

Anyone would think he was a trained chess player.... ;)

That's probably more honourable than the way I used to supplement my non-income in years gone by, by playing bridge afternoons at St Johns Wood, with the little old ladies at the 10p tables. This involved more selfish play than is customary at the bridge table or would be acceptable amongst peers. Anyone else remember the Hideous Hog?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5441 on: 23 September, 2012, 03:49:10 pm »
Happy EldestCub!

« Reply #5442 on: 24 September, 2012, 12:51:06 pm »
My business partner-to-be is on Panorama tonight exposing the dodgy deals some suppliers foist onto schools which then cost the schools very dearly.

Great free ad for our upcoming venture.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5443 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:36:05 pm »
Well, its taken long enough, but on our 14th anniversary yesterday, my fiance decided to actually get round to proposing. I agreed that it is probably about time.......

« Reply #5444 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »
Congratulations Lady C

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5445 on: 27 September, 2012, 06:58:55 pm »
Congrats :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5446 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »
Did you accept?

Jan and I learned this week that, come April, we should be provided with n+1 grandchildren.

« Reply #5447 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »
Congrats all round!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5448 on: 27 September, 2012, 11:40:51 pm »
Well, its taken long enough, but on our 14th anniversary yesterday, my fiance decided to actually get round to proposing. I agreed that it is probably about time.......
Excellent!

(the next time I propose to anyone, I shall make sure to include the words "it is probably about time ..."  ;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5449 on: 28 September, 2012, 12:17:16 am »
(the next time I propose to anyone, I shall make sure to include the words "it is probably about time ..."  ;) )

For best results, such proposals should be accepted with an "I suppose we might as well"  :D