Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164866 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5875 on: 29 May, 2013, 09:29:14 pm »
The SmallestCub just ate all his tea.  When asked if he wanted anything else, he replied "more curry!"

It's taken nearly six years, but finally he has learnt to like it :D

Well done that lad!
I think it took me until my early twenties to learn to like the stuff...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5876 on: 29 May, 2013, 09:40:31 pm »
IME it's learning to like other things that's the tricky bit...

« Reply #5877 on: 29 May, 2013, 09:53:56 pm »
The SmallestCub just ate all his tea.  When asked if he wanted anything else, he replied "more curry!"

Well done SmallestCub.

Apparently Mum, sister and family went to an all you can eat Indian Buffet on Tuesday, and Oli wanted to try a samosa.

They had to get him a lot of raita to take the heat away, and he stuck to things he knew after that....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #5878 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:11:06 pm »

Well done that lad!

Same here (I've since more than made up for the lost years, though). Good on him! :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5879 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:21:00 pm »

Well done that lad!

I'm still not liking it @ 60+.I'm obviously a very slow learner

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5880 on: 30 May, 2013, 08:30:14 am »
^^^^^^
Wot he said (apart from the 60+ bit)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5881 on: 30 May, 2013, 09:45:47 am »
Good stuff, SC!

As a kid, the only experience I had of curries was kedgeree or egg curry at school, so I had an aversion to the things till I got into the habit of post-derig visits to the Kashmir in Pitsmoor, which were very sociable affairs for 3am.

But when I moved to Lumb Lane, I was so spoiled that most curries are a disappointment these days.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5882 on: 30 May, 2013, 01:46:08 pm »
I got to like curries whilst in Sheffield but the Nirmal on West Street was the best IMO...
Well done SC!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5883 on: 30 May, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »
The loss adjuster came round this morning and offered a very fair cash settlement for the holed bath* and the ceiling damage.  So thumbs up to Virgin home insurance.  I was slightly worried as they were half the price of - ahem - my employer's home insurance.

*which I've decided to replace myself, since I put the existing one in...I've found one of the same size and design, so the pipework shouldn't need alteration.  We'll need a professional to sort out the bulge in the ceiling thoiugh.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5884 on: 30 May, 2013, 06:34:58 pm »
It is pay day tomorrow, we have a weeks holiday (next week) and we are away for a couple of days on our 38th wedding anniversary, can't get much better than that  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #5885 on: 30 May, 2013, 07:27:09 pm »
Good stuff, SC!

As a kid, the only experience I had of curries was kedgeree or egg curry at school, so I had an aversion to the things till I got into the habit of post-derig visits to the Kashmir in Pitsmoor, which were very sociable affairs for 3am.

But when I moved to Lumb Lane, I was so spoiled that most curries are a disappointment these days.

I love Kedgeree, it was one of my favourite meals when I was little - although Mum made it without spices for us. The day after my sister was born, when I was 5, Dad made it for our lunch before taking me to see her and Mum in hospital. He forgot Mum wasn't there and made    enough for three, and I still ate half of it.

I think I remember the kedgeree more clearly than being introduced to my new sister. Certainly for the first few years, I think I'd have swapped her for a plateful...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5886 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »
The weather hereabouts is splendiforous.First ride of the year,only to village & back,in sandals.No socks ftw.

« Reply #5887 on: 31 May, 2013, 05:25:26 pm »
After 15 months we have finally got rid of our “neighbour from hell” YES

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5888 on: 31 May, 2013, 05:29:33 pm »
DId you employ aggresion or diplomacy ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5889 on: 31 May, 2013, 05:55:52 pm »
I've just sold my laptop - I'm now officially Fruit FreeTM  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5890 on: 05 June, 2013, 02:08:42 am »
We are officially a two tandem household again  :thumbsup:

Kat (the Santana tandem), has returned from her extended stay with her manufacturer and is looking all clean and shiny. I wonder how long that will last...
California Dreaming

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5891 on: 05 June, 2013, 09:36:55 am »
Yay!
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5892 on: 05 June, 2013, 06:01:54 pm »

Kat (the Santana tandem), has returned from her extended stay with her manufacturer and is looking all clean and shiny. I wonder how long that will last...

The tandemists on last Friday's NRttC were riding the enormously expensive Santana titanium and carbon lovely. They bought it second hand at a very reasonable price.

What, pray, caused yours to go and meet its maker?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5893 on: 05 June, 2013, 07:50:45 pm »

The tandemists on last Friday's NRttC were riding the enormously expensive Santana titanium and carbon lovely. They bought it second hand at a very reasonable price.

What, pray, caused yours to go and meet its maker?

The short version is that we had a weld fail on the chainstay. After that was fixed and the frame was being recoated ready to be shipped back, a defect was found in the lateral tube. So, she had to go through the full repair cycle again. Replacing a lateral tube requires lots of welding!
The process has taken rather longer than initially thought, but Santana and the local dealers have actually been pretty good.

Emma
California Dreaming

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5894 on: 05 June, 2013, 08:25:22 pm »
I've been promised a VIP ticket to the Grand Départ in Yorkshire for next year's Tour de France, by a very large French insurance company!!!!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5895 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:26:05 pm »
I'm going camping tomorrow  :thumbsup: Straight from work (and the campsite is on my usual commute route) so need to sort camping bike and gear out ready for the morning.

Will be meeting Mum at the campsite followed by a stroll to the nearby pub for food and a several of drinks, must dig out torch for stumbling back to tents.

Should be a pleasant evening  :D :thumbsup: ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #5896 on: 09 June, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
I have only been back running 2 weeks after 6 weeks off with a stress fracture, and I haven't been well this week.

I just won the 10k county championships :) :) very happy :)

« Reply #5897 on: 09 June, 2013, 03:04:20 pm »
I have only been back running 2 weeks after 6 weeks off with a stress fracture, and I haven't been well this week.

I just won the 10k county championships :) :) very happy :)
Rested legs, innit ;)

Well done

« Reply #5898 on: 09 June, 2013, 03:29:20 pm »
Well it certainly wasn't the best race I've ever done but it was enough and ill take it :) on Friday I didn't think I would be running so I'm just happy with whatever atm!!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5899 on: 11 June, 2013, 02:50:29 pm »
Congratulations Lacy C!

My good news is that, without me asking for it, I think I'm going to get some more schools, and these will have chess teaching in core time. The Chess in Schools charity is starting up a co-operative in Thurrock and I have been asked if I will do the necessary. Wednesday mornings will suit me as I already teaching Basildon on a Wednesday and Thurrock is right next door.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.