Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165127 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2525 on: 28 July, 2010, 03:19:32 pm »
I found 4 more earwigs,   deaded inside my Trangia burner.

This is good news?

Dead earwigs are always good news.

« Reply #2526 on: 29 July, 2010, 01:55:58 pm »
24th to 30th July. It's 9am to 9pm every day. What spare time I have will be spent working on the assignments so I very much doubt it, plus I'm taking books and notes and no bike.

Walk along Coates Bldg corridors quietly in between classes pls.!  ;)

It's outside term time (hence the use of the halls of residence) but I guess you lot are there all year round. No idea where the actual lectures will be...

Staying in Lenton and Wortley Hall, lectures in the Portland Building (level C).

No real free time though, have assignments to do and work to write up.

Stereotypical OU students and tutors abound. ;)
Lenton Hall, Block VIII, Room 25 was my abode for 3 years.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #2527 on: 29 July, 2010, 03:04:21 pm »
When ?

I was in the first block on the right when heading from the road towards the dining hall. Right next to the Porter's residence. Can't remember the room number.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2528 on: 29 July, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »
When ?

I was in the first block on the right when heading from the road towards the dining hall. Right next to the Porter's residence. Can't remember the room number.

1971-4.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #2529 on: 29 July, 2010, 03:27:25 pm »
After challenging the result Mark has learned that he did not after all fail the keyboard skills segment of his Oxford music degree with 39%. It was a clerical error. The actual score was 69%, good enough for a first and a formal apology.

JJ

« Reply #2530 on: 29 July, 2010, 03:51:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2531 on: 29 July, 2010, 04:10:06 pm »
After challenging the result Mark has learned that he did not after all fail the keyboard skills segment of his Oxford music degree with 39%. It was a clerical error. The actual score was 69%, good enough for a first and a formal apology.

That's a relief!
Poor chap; he must have been very worried.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2532 on: 29 July, 2010, 04:13:18 pm »
That must have stood out as an anomalous result.  Good work getting it sorted.  A formal apology?  I should think so.
Getting there...

« Reply #2533 on: 29 July, 2010, 04:26:39 pm »

That's a relief!

His mum was accusing him of not having practised enough. Apart from giving concerts in the Jacqueline Du Pre Building, subbing for organ scholars in several colleges, playing the harpsichord in a baroque group, acting as répétiteur for the operatic society, and studying for his ARCO he probably hasn't done much keyboard work this year.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2534 on: 29 July, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »

That's a relief!

His mum was accusing him of not having practised enough. Apart from giving concerts in the Jacqueline Du Pre Building, subbing for organ scholars in several colleges, playing the harpsichord in a baroque group, acting as répétiteur for the operatic society, and studying for his ARCO he probably hasn't done much keyboard work this year.

Quite. I feel very sorry for the chap who must have had a horrible few weeks.

« Reply #2535 on: 30 July, 2010, 08:52:09 am »
When ?

1971-4.
Thanks. We missed each other by a few years then (I was there 81/82).
Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2536 on: 30 July, 2010, 10:05:14 am »
I have my Orbit back from Corridori.  The mech hanger is now straight again :thumbsup:
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2537 on: 30 July, 2010, 10:55:23 am »
A former colleague just sent me a present - a really geeky mug.

http://tweetphoto.com/35731294
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2538 on: 30 July, 2010, 11:43:01 am »

Is that a Babbage engine on the mug?  It's a bit hard to see.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2539 on: 30 July, 2010, 11:44:42 am »
Brilliant!
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #2540 on: 30 July, 2010, 11:53:48 am »

Is that a Babbage engine on the mug?  It's a bit hard to see.

Certainly is. It is a bit hard to see even in the flesh...

Priddy

• One of the "wrong sorts"
« Reply #2541 on: 30 July, 2010, 01:57:08 pm »
Just had my first ever Carradice Barley bag turn up in the post made by Pricilla. I am so excited. Shall be fitting it for the ride home tonight.   ;D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2542 on: 30 July, 2010, 07:29:18 pm »
I finished my big installation of a new it suite project (or near enough to finish work for the jollydays) at about 3 this afternoon.  Few bits and bobs to sort out still, but it's useable enough for the new term.  All concerned seem pleased :)

(And that means that I now support a school that has a curriculum PC to pupil ratio slighlty better than 1:4, which is startling high for primary).

« Reply #2543 on: 31 July, 2010, 05:05:41 pm »
Passed the exam part of my latest OU course (it was a residential school), just a simple assignment to write up and I'm a little step closer...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

David Martin

« Reply #2544 on: 31 July, 2010, 09:28:34 pm »
One of our local riders just won a junior race in Belgium!

..d

« Reply #2545 on: 02 August, 2010, 12:41:50 pm »
My first work travel onna bike expenses have gone through.  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2546 on: 02 August, 2010, 03:56:55 pm »
We are s'posed to be going to a wedding on Friday.  So I just tried on my party frock, which I bought for the last wedding we went to in October (I do find it slightly odd that I own a party frock that is strapless and floral and altogether quite girly - have only ever worn it the once).  I expected it to be a bit generously proportioned, but figured I could probably blag it with a couple of safety pins or something.

I really can't! 

I think this is good news.  Although it does mean I may have to go clothes shopping this week....

LindaG

« Reply #2547 on: 02 August, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »
Result  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2548 on: 02 August, 2010, 04:53:26 pm »
We are s'posed to be going to a wedding on Friday.  So I just tried on my party frock, which I bought for the last wedding we went to in October (I do find it slightly odd that I own a party frock that is strapless and floral and altogether quite girly - have only ever worn it the once).  I expected it to be a bit generously proportioned, but figured I could probably blag it with a couple of safety pins or something.

I really can't! 

I think this is good news.  Although it does mean I may have to go clothes shopping this week....

Excellent! I don't think you're that far off a nice cycling jersey, you know.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2549 on: 02 August, 2010, 10:52:34 pm »
Yeah, all the best weddings feature guests in cycling jerseys :)