Author Topic: Enduro Max bearings - Suitability for axle.  (Read 807 times)

Enduro Max bearings - Suitability for axle.
« on: 22 April, 2019, 10:02:40 pm »
Enduro Max bearings:-

6003 LLB MAX Enduro Max Bike Bearing 17x35x10
Typical Applications: Frame Pivot Bearings. Giant ATX 1 and 2
Enduro Max Bearings Specification:
Maximum quantity of Grade 10 Chromium Steel Balls:
MAX bearings are filled completely with high precision Grade 10 balls for maximum load capacity. No retainer means these bearings have 35 percent more capacity. The balls must be filled by hand, through a precision slot ground into the inner and outer race.
52100 High Carbon Chromium Alloy Races:
Purest alloy steel with the toughness like no other. MAX bearings use CRC Marine Grease, will not wash out or break down under any extreme circumstances. Even salt water will not penetrate or break it down.
LLU Seals:
Two sealing lips on each seal, which ride in a matching groove on the inner race to make a labyrinth seal. The outer sealing lip repels dirt/water while the inner retains grease. These seals essentially form a “hydromatic seal” of grease when in operation, the grease forming a barrier in the groove.

I have run a pair of 6902 15x28x7 Max in my upright trike cassette body http://trykit.xara.hosting/index_htm_files/1389.jpg with no problems for several 1000 miles now. Standard bearings, were esp. over winter lasting only a  few hundred miles. I am considering 6003 Max for the axles as standards again don't last long, I think due to axial loading, but as described in quote above they are typically used as frame pivots and I wonder about speed and inter-ball friction - I suppose I could try them and see if I go slowly...

Re: Enduro Max bearings - Suitability for axle.
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2019, 10:14:04 pm »
If weather is killing bearings you need normally need better seals and lubrication first, more balls second.

'full complement' bearings either resist axial loads in one direction only or have ball loading slots that mean that the axial load rating is lower than normal in both directions.  In either case the efficiency of the seal can be compromised, depending on how the seal is designed.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2019, 10:32:43 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply I can understand how loading slots could reduce axial capacity. Discount weather. The cassette body bearings take the wheel end load. And I have just got part of an answer, as the axle inner bearings float on the shaft and outer ones take side loads. I think I will try a pair rather than full complement.

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2019, 08:46:29 am »
a single conventional (deep groove, conrad-style) bearing can have a reasonable axial load rating, but IME the rating is often not made clear in the bearing specs and/or varies quite a lot from one manufacturer to another.  I guess if you only have one bearing that takes the axial loads you don't have any choice but to use one such bearing.

If you want a higher load rating for the assembly then a simple approach (which may not be applicable in this case, see comments below) is to modify the parts so that you double up on the bearing that sees the load.  This can work better than allowing both extant bearings to share the load, because that only works if the lengths are perfect and the axial stiffnesses of the shaft and housing match one another.

One special problem that trike bearings have is that the shaft flexes in bending and this (perhaps moreso than the axial loads per se)  can very greatly shorten the life of the bearings. It might be prudent to specify a fit/tolerance for these bearings that is a bit looser than normal, so that the shaft can flex without the bearing seeing the most  severe cantilever loads. The other thing that is worth doing is seeing if the shaft can be made stiffer.  In extremis there are bearings which allow some articulation, but these have lower radial load ratings and are fiercely expensive.

It is a moot point now but regarding speed ratings and ball scuffing etc; bearing preload is important here, but  in full complement bearings the ball-to-ball scuffing is deemed to be worse than the ball-to-clip scuffing in a standard bearing. So the speed rating is usually significantly reduced in a full complement bearing.  This makes them unsuitable for some applications but bicycles ain't one of them; shaft speeds are normally still at least one order of magnitude lower than the speed rating of such bearings.

cheers