Author Topic: MKS Ezy removable pedals  (Read 8568 times)

MKS Ezy removable pedals
« on: 27 March, 2020, 06:31:28 pm »
I’ve just swapped out these, with the older collar design...

https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/355

... for these, with a newer design that is twist-release and doesn’t require the yellow safety ring:

https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/53

Do any of you use any of the EZYs with the latter? They are certainly slicker to take on and off, but thinking about how they work, the direction of pedal travel relative to the crank, and the fact that the inside of one’s sole could temporarily rest on the collar, is it not the case that one pedal will be at risk of unintended departure? On a different note, it was annoying to be unable to find anywhere selling pairs with just one removable pedal, as was the case with the plastic ones. The reason for the upgrade is that one of the original pair is slightly wonky - surprisingly, it’s the normal non-removable one.

Thinking about it, I quite liked the safety ring. Simple and effective.

Re: MKS Ezy removable pedals
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2020, 04:02:32 am »
I use the EZ superior with the urban.
The collar has to be pulled AND twisted, so I feel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:33:44 pm »
Prompted by Wowbagger’s pedal thread, I am having problems with the Ezy Superior adapter on the drive side (the only one I remove).

I noticed a week or two ago that I was having difficulty getting the barrel, the part that slides and twists, to go in close enough to the crank to allow easy detachment. Looking at the adapter, I could see a short length of swarf protuding. At first I thought it was a piece of screw thread from the crank, but it turned out to be from the inside of the adapter. As I didn’t have time to faff, I bent it until it broke off and carried on. Now, several commutes later, I can feel the problem recurring, and again there is a small piece of wire-like swarf causing the problem.

That can’t be good. I haven’t taken it off for a closer look yet, but I wonder if a grub screw has unscrewed a little and is gouging a piece out of the inside of the barrel. But that’s a bit odd, as the barrel surely stays still, moves with the crank, while the pedal moves within it.

I see a spare pair of adapters for the Superior models 1) costs nearly as much as the pedals cost in the first place, complete with adapters and 2) is not available in the UK.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2021, 10:01:33 pm »
There is an MKS video showing how to disassemble and clean the adapters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gCv7X_J6EI There are ball bearings that I guess could start to break up, and a spring that could also break.

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2021, 10:32:33 pm »
Thanks Philip, that’s really useful. I’ll have a proper look at it over the weekend  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2023, 03:08:11 pm »
Well I now have a set of the older style MKS removables on the Brompton.

Has anyone sourced a more easily removed / fitted version of the yellow circlip? I have seen images of some with a tab that would make them easier to grip but I can't see any UK stockists.

« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2023, 05:38:08 pm »
FWIW I've never deployed the yellow circlip.
To date, it hasn't been an issue.

« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2023, 08:04:59 pm »
Off every time if I do not have the circlip. This morning I must have forgotten to put it on. Fortunately it stayed on until just as I was turning in to work. Usually it is off within a few km. It depends on the width of the shoes.

« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2023, 08:26:45 pm »
The MKS pair I use on one particular bike loses a pedal quite readily without the retainers. Putting them on is easier if the open side is aligned with the flats on the spigot, but removing them is trickier as you have to push both sides of the retainer to prevent it just rotating.

I believe the latest versions do without them.

« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2023, 08:57:27 pm »
I can see the things I am after on Aliexpress - same as original circlip, but with a tab to make them easier to grip. Will persevere with my search to see if I can avoid registering with Aliexpress, but not looking good so far.

« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2023, 11:02:11 pm »
Many thanks to Orienteer for kindly giving me some of the Aliexpress circlips. They are better than the stock items, and I am using them in preference to the stock items, but they are made out of a more rigid plastic than the originals and need quite a firm grip to remove. OK in the dry with bare fingers.

I am having some right knee trouble and I blame my Brompton. Specifically, the combination of my very grippy flat soled Spesh shoes and the MKS compact pedals. The grip is tenacious and it often feels as if my feet are locked on, even more so than when in SPDs as they allow float. My left side is fine but my right knee has some medial ligament pain, or at least pain in that location, and I think it is to do with this lack of float - just can’t get my foot to sit happily in one position.

« Reply #11 on: 26 March, 2023, 06:21:21 pm »
FWIW I've never deployed the yellow circlip.
To date, it hasn't been an issue.

Nor me

« Reply #12 on: 26 March, 2023, 09:07:40 pm »
The pedals seem to vary. The two pairs on our tandem don't require the clips, the pair on my Bridgestone Moulton definitely do. I think there are subtle design differences, as they are not interchangeable between the mounts.

« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2023, 08:19:59 am »
I see someone up this thread has MKS Urban pedals which take cleats, Time Atac I believe. Do MKS make removable pedals for SPD cleats?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2023, 08:32:46 am »
Dunno about MKS, but Wellgo certainly do.

« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2023, 08:41:42 am »
Do MKS make removable pedals for SPD cleats?

MKS US-S Ezy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:23:34 am »
MKS’s SPD-alike pedals used to have unique cleats. Not sure if that is still the case.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 27 March, 2023, 06:16:24 pm »
Meanwhile the Wellgo QRD ones, which definitely use normal SPD cleats, don't have an ATAC version...

« Reply #18 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:10:42 pm »
What is the QR like on the Wellgos? Do they all need that QRD device?

You once posted about the convenience of being able to swap between flat and SPD pedals I made a mental note to explore that at some stage: I’d like to try SPDs on the Brompton and normal Shimano SPD pedals are so compact I could do without any form of QR, but my partner rides flat pedals.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:34:23 pm »
It's much like the MKS, in that there's a socket part that fits the crank with a sprung mechanism to retain it.  Release is by pulling a little tab thing radially, rather than sliding the collar axially, which seems superior in terms of not needing an extra circlip thing to stop it accidentally releasing, but does mean you need to spend some quality time finding the correct combination of (supplied) shims for the socket-crank interface to make the lever bit align with the crank arm when properly tightened.

There are various QRD pedals, in variations on flat, SPD and Look cleats.  I think there's a combination SPD/flat one, too.

A quick google suggests that there's a new version of the socket and - astoundingly - it's compatible with the old one!

https://flatbike.com/convenience-showdown-folding-pedals-vs-pop-off-pedals/ has a good summary of the system.

« Reply #20 on: 27 March, 2023, 10:27:31 pm »

A quick google suggests that there's a new version of the socket and - astoundingly - it's compatible with the old one!

https://flatbike.com/convenience-showdown-folding-pedals-vs-pop-off-pedals/ has a good summary of the system.

Thanks Kim. That design doesn’t look bad at all. At first glance I thought they seemed a bit bulky but they sit in quite close to the crank and so hopefully would tolerate shoe rub when not in SPD mode.

I must have a look to see how MKS or any removable pedals affect Q factor.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 27 March, 2023, 10:53:21 pm »
They widen Q by a few mm.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 27 March, 2023, 10:59:50 pm »

Thanks Kim. That design doesn’t look bad at all. At first glance I thought they seemed a bit bulky but they sit in quite close to the crank and so hopefully would tolerate shoe rub when not in SPD mode.

Yes, that seems to be the issue with the QRD1 with flat pedals, it's easy for the release wotsit to end up nibbling at the edge of your shoe.  I've not used the flats as much as I anticipated, so haven't had much opportunity for it to become a problem.  Obviously not a problem with clipless.