Author Topic: Kingdom of the East Saxons 400km, 11:00 20th July 2019  (Read 4018 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Kingdom of the East Saxons 400km, 11:00 20th July 2019
« on: 05 July, 2019, 05:00:28 pm »
'Saxons' is back! 400km of lovely Essex, with a bit of 'Essex Borders' [Constable Country, Suffolk-side of the Stour] thrown in. A civilised 11:00 start. £20 entry fee includes: Refreshments at the start, £10 voucher towards an evening meal in Harwich at the wonderful 'Cafe on the Pier', who are staying open late especially for us and a romantic candle-lit supper back in Dunmow at 260km.

Floor sleeping available for those that need it - leave your bedding, pyjamas and teddy bear at the start. The arrivee is conveniently next door at the Angel and Harp pub, which opens for breakfast at 09:00 [to 11:00], then lunch service from 12:00 onwards. Control closes at 14:00.

TLC from our very experienced ACME crew - not my usual X-rated style, [though there is a 24-hour garage control - it'd be weird if not]. Lots of lovely lanes, golden cornfields, woodland and coastal views.

20 places left!!!

Helpers' Ride next Saturday 13th, 11:00 - more helpers welcome!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Kingdom of the East Saxons 400km, 11:00 20th July 2019
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2019, 12:18:56 pm »
I'm not sure this is a good idea but the plan is to go to a wedding near Rochester on Friday. Then on Saturday morning groan, before cycling (or train-ing) to Gravesend followed by taking the ferry to Tilbury. From there it is 50 km to Dunmow. And it's 50 km from Dunmow back to London, so I may as well extend this up to 500 km. ::-) :facepalm:

It's likely I'll be making good use of the sleep options after Friday night!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2019, 01:37:03 pm »
I'm in, although need my right side to heal a little between now and then.

I'll probably do the same as last time and extend to 600 as my last really long ride before Paris, although I may front-load it a bit more.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2019, 04:18:30 pm »
In  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2019, 07:11:19 pm »
 :thumbsup: jiberjaber - riding on the day or Helpers' Ride? Any more helpers?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2019, 07:24:27 pm »
:thumbsup: jiberjaber - riding on the day or Helpers' Ride? Any more helpers?

I think it will have to be on the day, need to get a 200km in so thats this week/weekend's plan.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2019, 07:49:18 pm »
Its the DunRun this weekend - I think we may see a few riders about as we head back to Dunmow in the wee small hours. Also got a customer riding The Flatliner 600km, starting from Goole on Saturday ... And its the Duxford 'Flying Legends' Airshow this weekend - maybe some free entertainment on our way across the 'Essex Alps' in the morning?

20th is going to be interesting too - Essex Castle Rides from Colchester, maybe crossing the path of 'Saxons' riders.

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2019, 07:07:25 am »
In, to round off my SR. Probably my last big ride of the season, tempting as it is to try to squeeze in the Ten Tons as well.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:02:52 pm »
Filling up - currently at 47 on the start list. Includes 7 helpers who had a pleasant ride round this weekend. Not without incidents mechanical and navigational - lost 2 for a while in the night! Not too hot by day, mild at night. Spots of rain in the morning around 06:00.

A few minor changes to the route, including road/cyclepath closures - updated route sheet and info now available via tomsk.co.uk/AUKweb/audax.uk. Expect some announcements at the start.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2019, 09:40:29 am »

Argh, right leg not healed — a lot of pain still.  Looks like I'm out  :(

Bon courage to everyone who rides tomorrow, I hope the weather holds.

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2019, 07:13:12 pm »

Hope you are still riding and the fitness is not leeching away.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2019, 08:50:02 pm »

Hope you are still riding and the fitness is not leeching away.

I've been out for a few very short rides, but I suffer after, so nothing longer than about 15km for the past couple of weeks — starting to feel a negative trend  :(

At least I've managed not to put any weight on, thobut — phew  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2019, 05:25:38 pm »
34 starters this morning at 11:00, heavy showers about, but it's been quite pleasant this afternoon here. They'll have had a tailwind for 100+kms from the Silver Ball to Harwich - first arrivals there at just after 17:00.

I reckon that even with the headwind back, we could have a few finish the first 270km loop shortly after dark.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2019, 09:53:37 am »

Someone I follow on twitter who is doing this event has posted a picture of fixing a flat tyre, with comment that there are tacks on the road. I don't know if that is aimed at the 34 audaxers, or if there is some sportiv that shares some roads, but either way, WTF!?!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2019, 11:04:50 am »

Someone I follow on twitter who is doing this event has posted a picture of fixing a flat tyre, with comment that there are tacks on the road. I don't know if that is aimed at the 34 audaxers, or if there is some sportiv that shares some roads, but either way, WTF!?!

J

It is a thing for Sportives as some have become so big and disruptive that a few disgruntled locals have resorted to this.  It will not be aimed at the audax, as we mostly fly under the radar.  An extra 34 cyclists over 400km is hardly going to be noticed.

« Reply #15 on: 21 July, 2019, 07:35:26 pm »
We get noticed in Wetherspoons 😁 My legs ache now but I’m glad I did it. I’d forgotten about all those off road sections, but my one puncture was due to a flint on the way to the Mayflower garage. Thought I’d drunk enough (including two pints of delicious golden beer at Clacton ‘spoons), but having to drink my coffee in order to swallow the Maldon ‘spoons pancakes told me I was dehydrated.

I didn’t enjoy my ride home. The A507 is best tackled in the quiet of the night. Thanks Tom and helpers.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:07:37 am »
Many thanks to Tom and all the other helpers for putting this on. Really enjoyed it, the candle light pasta and rice pudding at Audax O Clock was great.

Thanks again. :-)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #17 on: 22 July, 2019, 12:24:24 pm »
It's been a good few years since I last rode in Essex and I really noticed how good the road surfaces are compared to the west side of London. Hardly any chip n seal and few wheel bending potholes - it was really nice to roll along smoothly. Plus there were great panoramic views, plenty of country wildlife, wild flowers in the field margins to be seen and enough undulations to test the legs. Must do some more rides in the area soon :)

Thanks to Tomsk and all the helpers for putting on a great event.

« Reply #18 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:37:18 pm »
Fantastic 400km event: the ACME before, during and after-care was wonderful indeed. Thanks to Tom and his glorious team...including AUK Royalty Herman Ramsey!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:25:25 am »
Thanks for all the positive comments folks. It's hard work for me and the team but very rewarding. The pub finish is great for shattered helpers to wind down, after all the night-long cooking, waitering/waitressing, admin, cleaning and general TLC. On Sunday afternoon I was more wasted than after our 'Helpers' Ride' the weekend before!

The Cafe on the Pier did us proud, staying open well beyond normal hours, and proprietor Steve very much appreciated the cyclists' choir singing happy birthday. They had Sunday off to celebrate, with a trip to Frinton with their granddaughter and champagne later. A little appreciation of their efforts on Tripadvisor would be good ...

Thanks also to Herman and Pauline Ramsey for brevet stamping duties at Harwich too, and to Peter H on duty at the Silver Ball.

D

• DD
  • DD
« Reply #20 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:49:48 pm »
It was a real pleasure to help (albeit I was soooo cream crackered towards the end) well done to all the riders I am so jealous, and cannot wait for the day I can be back on the Audax rides, I so miss.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #21 on: 24 July, 2019, 01:36:18 pm »
Cracking ride.

First time on the Thames ferry
Only two thunderstorms
Fab company from HK and Swiss Hat
Clacton!
Plenty of sleep
My first ever 500 after tagging in an ECE

Thanks Tomsk et al.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #22 on: 25 July, 2019, 08:00:23 pm »
Here is my ride report.

Dunmow > Reed
After having spent some money getting my bike fixed and serviced ready for Paris-Brest-Paris next month I was once again on my mountain bike to save wearing the PBP bike out again. That being said my speed on the MTB is more or less the same as the normal bike so it made little difference.

Once we started everyone disappeared up the road and I was quire enjoying the solitude following the route sheet. There was a strong headwind but not as bad as previous rides this year. The rain clouds were looming though and soon enough a heavy downpour occured. I was debating whether to stop and put the water proofs on but looking up ahead the sky was clear in the direction I was heading so I decided to just get wet. There was plenty of daylight left and with the strong wind it wouldn't take long to dry once the rain had stopped.

I got to the Silver Ball cafe and got my card stamped with about 30 minutes to spare. Whilst there I bumped into Andy and we talked over the pros and cons of the mountain bike.

Reed > Clare
Change of direction now and the wind was blowing behind me which made of easy cycling and the views over the ridge were great.

Approaching Audley End Andy and another Andy whom I had cycled the Asparagus and Strawberries with last year soon caught up with me and we would spend the rest of the ride together.

We stopped at the CO-OP in Clare; a sandwich, crisps and Dr. Pepper to fuel for the next stage to Harwich.

Clare > Harwich
First though was the info control in Lamarsh. We were unsure at first at the foot of which hill the question was asking about but it soon became clear once we descend the first hill and saw the bungalows before the start of the second one.

After that easily sailing, climbing up and rolling down the hills to Harwich. It always a drag getting to the Pier in Harwich and by this point I had run out of water and was getting hungry, in need of a proper meal rather than more snacks. So I was pleased when the pier finally came into view. Marconi cheese with beans and a pot of tea it was.

Harwich > Clacton
I liked this stage very much. Once in Walton there was the awesomely bumpy bike path along the sea to Clacton. I have ridden along this bike path many times, so knew what to expect. It was very nice in the setting sun. Once on the otherside we rejoined the road all the way to the pier. Stopped at the McDonalds just before they closed at nine! The music outside the night club was booming and we were soon glad to be back on the client lanes on the way to Dunmow.

Clacton > Great Dunmow.
Night was falling and we got out of Jaywick as quickly as possible and before I knew we were in Wivenhoe about to join the trail which was my favourite part of the ride - shame it isn't longer.

By the time we got to the info control in Great Wigborough my knees were starting to complain about the all of the rolling hills and it felt like we had done a lot more than 227km, maybe it was the late start as well? Either way it was nice to be more than half way through.

We stopped at bench for a rest before we got to Great Dunmow (couldn't find a bus shelter!) Almost took the Flitch Way all the way from Rayne to Great Dunmow but joined the road instead.

Once at the control Raymond greeted us and invited us in for Pasta and Rice Pudding. Denice was being very talkative to me however it was roughly 1am and I was trying not to wake up those already there sleeping in the hall so I was very quiet. Hope she didn't think I was being rude.

After the said Pasta, Rice pudding, two cups of tea and having to be asked twice for my receipt from Clare (sorry BFC!) Andy and I said goodby to wonderful candle light supper and TLC provided by team ACME and headed back out into the night.

Dunmow>Billericay
Andy and I dodged the North Hill although the route we took was still just as hilly but maybe not as steep? Either way my knees still complained until I reached the top.

We answered the info control in Danbury and I took off my jacket as it was starting to get warm again.

Soon after the sun was rising and burned away the small patches of mist as we approved Billericay. I was after a cup of tea or hot chocolate but the BP Garage provided neither, so I had to settle for a Yorkie bar. We then left everyone there to fix their punctures and headed for Burnham-on-Crouch.

Billericay > Great Dunmow
The road winds and bends all the way to Burnham-on-Crouch into and out of the wind all the way there. It next seamed to end but eventually it did. The 'pier' where the info control was, wasn't quite as exciting as Clacton's but at least the toilets nearby were open and then we were off again racing the bending road on the way to the Wetherspoons in Maldon.

We arrived just before it was open but managed to sneak our bikes into the beer garden through the gate which was left open and probably got the cleaner into trouble, sorry!

Andy and I both ordered the porridge but were soon informed that there was only one left which I was able to secure. By the time we left it was already getting really warm! Thankfully though this was only a short stage but Maldon and the surrounding roads were already getting busy with loud cars and motorcycles, no incidents though.

Very soon we were back on the reverse of the route we took out of Great Dunmow earlier that morning and back in the Angel and Harp.

I bailed out of this ride back in 2017, so it was good to finally finish it! Once again, thanks to everyone who helped to make it possible - I really enjoyed it this time.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2019, 12:32:45 am »
Michelle has posted her video here

https://youtu.be/Rp1ktM96gCc

Great video, and I had forgotten how pretty Essex can be on a good day :thumbsup:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #24 on: 01 August, 2019, 08:37:30 am »
Great to see the video.

Anyone else catch the fireworks in Clacton? That was a slightly surreal welcome, though at the time I was more concerned about the McDonald's being closed.