Author Topic: Census thread for discussions about the census  (Read 14223 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Census thread for discussions about the census
« Reply #100 on: 20 March, 2021, 05:04:21 pm »
If you're not religious and want to think about how you answer that question and what it could result in, you may find this of interest.
https://twitter.com/Humanists_UK/status/1370676008303534081?s=19

This was the tweet I actually wanted to post on this issue, but couldn't find at the time.
https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1372852957130199042?s=19
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #101 on: 20 March, 2021, 06:05:33 pm »
It seems it only works for addresses with postcodes. So for my son & daughter in law, they are here but normally live on a boat - does not accept that. What about all the people living in caravans, boats, cars, tree houses, etc.? Are they just ignored?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #103 on: 20 March, 2021, 06:46:00 pm »
It seems it only works for addresses with postcodes. So for my son & daughter in law, they are here but normally live on a boat - does not accept that. What about all the people living in caravans, boats, cars, tree houses, etc.? Are they just ignored?

There were arrangements for such households in the previous Census. People who live on boats ( canals especially) will normally have a Marina or similar address for official communications ( otherwise they wouldn’t receive pensions or benefits for example).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:33:30 pm »
Being to the West of Offa's Dyke* I had to answer a question about whether I speak Cymreag.

[...]

At least, I assume that folks in Ingerlund didn't get this question, much as I wasn't asked about my Gaelic proficiency.

No.  We weren't asked about our BSL proficiency either (unless, presumably, it was our first language).

« Reply #105 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:51:13 pm »
That's settled: I am a European.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #106 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:00:46 pm »
Now, here's an oddity. I'm mid-filling it in.

Me, mrs, little miss and mini. All as expected, until I got to mini. He's a full time student, but at home currently as his uni don't want him there. His set of questions do not include anything on nationality or religion.

What's going on there ?
Rust never sleeps

Davef

« Reply #107 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:43:26 pm »

There were arrangements for such households in the previous Census. People who live on boats ( canals especially) will normally have a Marina or similar address for official communications ( otherwise they wouldn’t receive pensions or benefits for example).
Great Britain is divided into postcode polygons with no gaps or overlaps. If you are asleep in a lay-by or a field your are in one, it just a case of knowing which one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #108 on: 21 March, 2021, 12:12:02 am »

Great Britain is divided into postcode polygons with no gaps or overlaps. If you are asleep in a lay-by or a field your are in one, it just a case of knowing which one.

What if you're straddling more than one postcode?

« Reply #109 on: 21 March, 2021, 02:15:45 am »
That's OK but straddling a single postcode is illegal.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Davef

Census thread for discussions about the census
« Reply #110 on: 21 March, 2021, 06:23:49 am »

What if you're straddling more than one postcode?
I would pick the one with the smaller area or if equal pick one arbitrarily.

« Reply #111 on: 21 March, 2021, 10:12:44 am »
Now, here's an oddity. I'm mid-filling it in.

Me, mrs, little miss and mini. All as expected, until I got to mini. He's a full time student, but at home currently as his uni don't want him there. His set of questions do not include anything on nationality or religion.

What's going on there ?
Setting mini as having another address where he stays for more than 30 days a year (at uni) means that those questions don't surface. What's the logic behind that ?
Rust never sleeps

Davef

Census thread for discussions about the census
« Reply #112 on: 21 March, 2021, 04:22:31 pm »
Because most students will write something stupid like “Jedi” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #113 on: 21 March, 2021, 04:25:23 pm »
Mystery solved (when mini bothered looking at the slew of emails from his uni about the census).

We list him as being here tonight, but that in term time he would usually be at uni.

His own access code gives him access to the Religiosity, Sexual, Nationality etc questions.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #114 on: 21 March, 2021, 04:52:10 pm »
Being to the West of Offa's Dyke* I had to answer a question about whether I speak Cymreag.

[...]

At least, I assume that folks in Ingerlund didn't get this question, much as I wasn't asked about my Gaelic proficiency.

No.  We weren't asked about our BSL proficiency either (unless, presumably, it was our first language).
Other way round surely. If you give BSL as your first language, you'll then be asked how well you know English, or in Wales presumably Welsh and/or English. It's not interested in other languages you speak, only your first language and English.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #115 on: 21 March, 2021, 04:53:48 pm »
It occurs to me that the form is generally (supposed to be?) filled in by one person, usually the deaf to ‘head of the household’* yet a number of the questions are asking what do YOU consider YOU are. I put down European for nationality for all of us, assumed that Dr Beardy (Mrs) considers herself hetro and asked Ms Beardy the smaller what she considered herself (Bi). The census as a whole then is unlikely to give a true picture of peoples beliefs when it can be filled in by others on their behalf.
? We filled out our personal sections individually.

« Reply #116 on: 21 March, 2021, 08:49:59 pm »
You're supposed to fill in your own personal sections personally.
Mr Beardy (Nottadokta) has used his privilege to overwrite the wimmin in the household.

(Mr Smith did ours as I am enjoying the post ride smug do nothing we encourage in this house)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #117 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:12:53 pm »
Point of order m’laud, I don’t get to overwrite any of the wimmin in this house, I’m nearly the lucky wat has to do everything that they don’t want* to do. Consultations were undertaken where I was either uncertain of the answer, or where the answer was subject to that person’s preference.

*Ok, I admit that Dr Beardy (Mrs) has different ideas about what constitutes tidy than I do, which causes consternation from time to time. However, as I am at pains to point out, I might not think something needs doing, but if I’m asked I will always comply.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #118 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:19:23 pm »
I filled in the forms for our household. My wife told me what to write.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #119 on: 21 March, 2021, 11:03:15 pm »
^ same. (No, she didn't tell me what to write, it was Mrs J that did that)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #120 on: 22 March, 2021, 08:55:40 am »
The online form seems to accept blank ("no answer given") for questions which offer "other" as an answer.

So that's how I answered the national identity and ethnic group question. And I didn't answer any of the voluntary questions.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #121 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:02:27 am »
So I wonder if that will be recorded as "Did not answer" or "Other"?

« Reply #122 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:11:25 am »
mllePB filled my section in.  She read out the questions and the options and I gave my replies which I trust that she then filled in.

I recall that there was an "are you filling this in on behalf of another" type declaration at the start of the section.

European with no religion here.

« Reply #123 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:23:37 am »
So I wonder if that will be recorded as "Did not answer" or "Other"?

The questions which offer "other" give you a "write in" box to write your own answer which can be anything you like, eg xyz, na, ***, %$^&£)*># or even     . So I suppose not typing in something is just as valid.

I think it'll be recorded as both "other" and "no answer given", as that's what it says on the summary page before clicking "send".

ian

« Reply #124 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:27:48 am »
I filled in my section because she 'doesn't know what I do.'

I'm happy for the government to use the evidence presented to them to hunt down any who puts 'Jedi' and kill them. It's harsh, but sometimes the worst thing is the best thing.