Author Topic: Census thread for discussions about the census  (Read 14058 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Census thread for discussions about the census
« Reply #50 on: 08 March, 2021, 07:22:18 am »
Don't forget, in the 'citizenship' question, you can tick more than one box (and must do it you have multiple citizenships).  I put down NZ, British and European (as a write in).  Next census I'll be able to add Irish  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:54:06 am »
There seems to be some confusion in people's minds between P14 "How would you describe your national identity?" and P20 "What passports do you hold?".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #52 on: 08 March, 2021, 11:34:36 am »
Received a full paper copy in the post this morning. I used the code on the front and have just completed it on line. Apart from the systems inability to infer that Sarah must be married to me if I’ve already stated I’m married to her, it seemed reasonable.

Three Europeans living in this house, though we were all born in England and hold U.K. passports ( I did think about adding European to the passport question as well, but decided not. It occurs to me that the system might have a drop down or restricted entry field though)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #53 on: 08 March, 2021, 04:11:36 pm »
Received a full paper copy in the post this morning. I used the code on the front and have just completed it on line.
So presumably you hadn't asked for the paper copy, or you wouldn't have completed it online. What rationale are they using to send some people paper copies? Post code, age, credit rating, shoe size?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #54 on: 08 March, 2021, 04:21:40 pm »
We got the letter today, so I guess that means no excuse not to do it now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #55 on: 08 March, 2021, 05:54:54 pm »
Don't forget, in the 'citizenship' question, you can tick more than one box (and must do it you have multiple citizenships).  I put down NZ, British and European (as a write in).  Next census I'll be able to add Irish  :thumbsup:

I presume you mean the "national identity" question as there's no 'citizenship' question. If someone puts in "European" in the passport question, I would think it'll be rejected as there's no such thing.

You can put in anything for "14, How would you describe your national identity?", even Cornish! The paper form gives you these tick boxes:
British
English
Welsh (edit: to correct my mistake)
Scottish
Northern Irish
Other (write your own answer)

https://census.gov.uk/help/how-to-answer-questions/paper-questions-help/how-would-you-describe-your-national-identity
Why we ask this question

Your answer helps your community by giving your local authority a better understanding of how people in your area identify themselves.

This information can highlight areas of deprivation among different cultural groups in your community. This gives public bodies a clearer picture of the communities they serve.

The census first asked this question in 2011.

It’s up to you how you answer this question. Select all the national identities that apply. You can select more than one.
Your national identity is what you think it is

Your national identity could be the country or countries where you feel you belong or think of as home. It's not dependent on your ethnic group or citizenship.

This question allows you to record an identity that isn't listed, if you want to.

For example, you can:

answer as "British" and/or one of the other UK identities
    answer with a British or other identity separately from recording your ethnic group in the next question

Example

Tina was born in Kenya but now lives in England. Her mother is Japanese and her father is English. Tina has spent a great deal of time in Japan and feels a strong connection to the country. Tina describes her identity as British-Japanese.

Tina selects the tick box option that says: "British".

She also selects the tick box option that says "Other" and writes "Japanese".
National identity not listed

If yours isn't listed, select "Other" and write in your national identity in the space provided, such as Cornish, Irish, Polish or Indian. You can give more than one answer if you want to.

You can also use this space to record a community or regional identity.

The idea that answering "European" to "14, How would you describe your national identity?", somehow supports a campaign for the UK to rejoin the EU is dubious. They should be writing "EU" instead.

Europe does not equal the EU, the EU is not Europe. Is there even a "European  national identity"? I would suggest "European" more commonly means "white" in relation to people, would a non-white Briton ever describe themselves as "European"? It's more likely they will say they're from Europe or from a "European country" if they didn't want to name a specific country, not that they are "European".

citoyen

« Reply #56 on: 08 March, 2021, 07:38:42 pm »
Europe does not equal the EU, the EU is not Europe.

The UK does not equal Britain. The US does not equal America...

« Reply #57 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:10:50 pm »

The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The US is America.

The continents are North America (some might include Mexico, some might not), Central America and South America. All three together can be called "The Americas".

« Reply #58 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:28:30 pm »

You can put in anything for "14, How would you describe your national identity?", even Cornish! The paper form gives you these tick boxes:
British
English
Scottish
Northern Irish

No tick box for Welsh? :o :'(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:35:40 pm »
Your national identity could be the country or countries where you feel you belong or think of as home.
For me, this has varied with time and where I'm living. I remember once getting off the train in Warsaw after a weekend in Slovakia, seeing the Palace of Culture (a landmark directly opposite Warsaw Central) and feeling "I'm home" although by that time I was living in another city in Poland. And I've never thought of myself as Polish.

(I'm still tempted to write "Erewhonian", "Llaregubbian" or similar for this question, or maybe even "Odonian". But of course I won't, partly cos it wouldn't mean anything in the context.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #60 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:36:28 pm »

The US is America.

The continents are North America (some might include Mexico, some might not), Central America and South America. All three together can be called "The Americas".

The northern continent on the opposite side of the Atlantic is Leftpondia which is in turn divided into Canickistan, USAnia and Transmuralia ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #61 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:43:11 pm »

The US is America.

The northern continent on the opposite side of the Atlantic is Leftpondia which is in turn divided into Canickistan, USAnia and Transmuralia ;)
What about the little floaty bits in the sea off Transmuralia?

« Reply #62 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:45:48 pm »
Your national identity could be the country or countries where you feel you belong or think of as home.
For me, this has varied with time and where I'm living. I remember once getting off the train in Warsaw after a weekend in Slovakia, seeing the Palace of Culture (a landmark directly opposite Warsaw Central) and feeling "I'm home" although by that time I was living in another city in Poland. And I've never thought of myself as Polish.

(I'm still tempted to write "Erewhonian", "Llaregubbian" or similar for this question, or maybe even "Odonian")
It's not Odonian here. It's A-Ionian.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #63 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:49:42 pm »

(I'm still tempted to write "Erewhonian", "Llaregubbian" or similar for this question, or maybe even "Odonian")
A-Ionian is a new term to me but google says it refers to major scales in music, with minor scales also being called Dorian. Both new terms to me. Can't find Odonian in relation to music.  ???

« Reply #64 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:56:09 pm »

British
English
Scottish
Northern Irish

No tick box for Welsh? :o :'(

My humble apologies, of course Welsh has one, between English and Scottish.

« Reply #65 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:07:59 pm »

(I'm still tempted to write "Erewhonian", "Llaregubbian" or similar for this question, or maybe even "Odonian". But of course I won't, partly cos it wouldn't mean anything in the context.)

Needless to say, national identity can change, the question only relates to your national identity on one day. I'll be writing "none" or "NA", which I don't think will ever change.

The people on furlough is going to skew the results quite a bit.

« Reply #66 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:15:56 pm »

A-Ionian is a new term to me but google says it refers to major scales in music, with minor scales also being called Dorian. Both new terms to me. Can't find Odonian in relation to music.  ???
A-Io is the corrupt, capitalist nation on Urras that Shevek goes to, where the University is.
Odonians are named after their founder Odo, rather than the Anarres moon they inhabit.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #67 on: 08 March, 2021, 10:05:19 pm »

A-Io is the corrupt, capitalist nation on Urras that Shevek goes to, where the University is.
Odonians are named after their founder Odo, rather than the Anarres moon they inhabit.
Of course! I'd forgotten the name of the country. And then there are two others on the same planet, one of which gets involved in some sort of rebellion, but I can't remember their names right now either.

Odonians are named after their founder, yes, but also for the philosophy she started, which in theory at least their moon is based upon. And that seems more apt than being named after a lump of rock.

Though I think Hubner's idea is good; and for the "Ethnicity" question too.

citoyen

« Reply #68 on: 08 March, 2021, 11:29:53 pm »

Yep, and the demonym for people from the UK is “British”, just as “European” is the demonym for members of the EU, notwithstanding that both “British”and “European” may have other meanings when used in different contexts. 

People from Northern Ireland might legitimately identify as British or Irish. The choice is a political act, as is identifying yourself as European.

It doesn’t mean you erroneously believe you’re still a member of the EU when you’re not.

Davef

« Reply #69 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:06:10 pm »
Perhaps put “Eurestorationist” in the religion box.

« Reply #70 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:54:13 pm »
I have always felt that all trans are antisemites.  It just makes sense.
Sorry, should have read IT JUST MAKES SENSE!!!!!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #71 on: 11 March, 2021, 12:15:04 pm »
I received the letter with a code a couple of days ago.
Today I received another letter with another code.
Do I have to do it twice?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #72 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:49:10 pm »
Our postal service has gone from poor to random. so have seen no sign of a census form, forms our solicitor sent us to sign, or last week's Economist, which is now 7 days overdue.  Rumour is that there has been a bout of Covid at the local Royal Mail distribution centre, in which case it could be worthwhile placing a bet on Basingstoke & Deane's population dropping substantially between 2011 and 2021.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #73 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:39:14 pm »
The weeks post arrived all in one go today, with a census instruction form.  At least I will only have to keep it for 6 days before being able to fill it in, so less chance of losing it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #74 on: 18 March, 2021, 08:53:30 pm »
Completed it yesterday. Interestingly, the online questions are slightly different from those given in the paper form, assuming the pdf link upthread somewheres is actually this year's form. Specifically, online has separate "passport" and "national identity" questions, the latter being absent from the pdf. Being self-employed or freelance significantly cuts down the number of questions you have to answer. Anyways, it didn't complain that we'd skipped a couple of questions. Not yet, anyway!