Author Topic: Overshoes for sandals  (Read 930 times)

Overshoes for sandals
« on: 08 March, 2021, 08:06:06 pm »
Anyone done this?

often lost.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Overshoes for sandals
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:10:51 pm »
Barakta's made use of that combination on a few occasions, purely because her Exustar sandals fit her non-standard feet better than any other cycling shoe she's tried.  As a fair-weather cyclist, it was simpler to add overshoes for wind protection on the occasional cold ride than to do Shoe Shopping.

« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:22:37 pm »
Anyone done this?
Do you really need them, given where you are?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:23:54 pm »
I know people here have done sandals with waterproof socks and I'm sure I remember talk of overshoes with sandals too. I've never gone beyond sandals plus woolly socks myself, but one thing occurs to me: the fabric of many/most overshoes is cold and plasticky, wouldn't feel too good (I think) against bare skin. Some have a sort of textured lining which might be more comfortable: I've got some of "Windtex" material which are like this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:27:27 pm »
Anyone done this?
Do you really need them, given where you are?

Ha! It's not for here. Its for TCR and cycle touring in Europe/USA. Ive shifted over to flat pedals and have a set of Shimano cycling sandals that have turned out to be more comfortable than trail runners for longer rides. I don't bother clipping in, but the stiffer sole and the adjustability of the sandals just works better.
 My concern is cold toes on descents and when its pi$$ing down. Ive read mixed reviews on sealskin socks etc so figured a decent pair of waterproof overshoes would be just the ticket...if they can stretch over the sandals.
often lost.

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:28:24 pm »
I know people here have done sandals with waterproof socks and I'm sure I remember talk of overshoes with sandals too. I've never gone beyond sandals plus woolly socks myself, but one thing occurs to me: the fabric of many/most overshoes is cold and plasticky, wouldn't feel too good (I think) against bare skin. Some have a sort of textured lining which might be more comfortable: I've got some of "Windtex" material which are like this.

Id still have the socks on under the overshoes.
often lost.

« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:59:02 pm »
I have used sandals with neoprene type overshoes for a couple of years now. The advantages are that it is easy to get a couple of pairs of socks under the sandals and the overshoes give another layer of warmth, when required. The disadvantage for me is that they are not the easiest of things to get on....especially in a race situation.

Another option might be toe covers

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2021, 11:21:27 pm »
Yes. I did an RRTY with combinations of just Sandals, and adding thin socks, thick socks and finally overshoes. Very flexible.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2021, 01:44:06 pm »
I use some thin overshoes with Shimano sandals - and thick socks when necessary. The major problem for me was (and will shortly be again) finding large enough overshoes to go over size 11 sandals. I think mine are 13 or 15, probably the latter. Even at that size getting them on is not easy. I have to half fit the overshoe before putting my foot in the sandal. Fortunately being thin they are fairly stretchy. Unfortunately being thin they are also fragile and easily damaged by walking. BUT very comfortable and at least as warm as conventional shoes for me because the blood flow is less restricted.

In quite a few riding situations I can get away with thick socks and no overshoes and be just as warm and more comfortable than with conventional shoes - better blood flow due to lack of compression on a misshapen foot. You might well find that just thick socks will handle descending quite well enough - only one way to find out unfortunately!

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:03:30 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know its doable.

The sizing sounds critical, so I'll wait until we are back in civilisation and can try different ones on rather than ordering online out to the Island.
Ive got boats for feet too so I'll hunt out some some XXL that offer a degree of rain proofing as well as a warm layer for descents.
I have memories of pre dawn riding on the approach to the Alps and really suffering with cold feet despite the insane heat later in the day during Lucifer.
often lost.