Author Topic: coffee machine help  (Read 1400 times)

coffee machine help
« on: 20 February, 2012, 09:48:24 am »
I've now got a coffee machine in my lorry, the filter type. However, my packet of coffee doesn't say how much to use in it. I put what I thought was enough in this morning but it didn't seem too strong. Apparently the strength is a 4. Any ideas? I seemed to put in quite a bit of coffee, especially with it not being massive. It says it a 5 cup one, but I think this is 5 small-ish cups.
I think the machine says to use a spoonful, which doesn't seem much.
Any ideas?

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Re: coffee machine help
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:32:18 am »
A healthy spoonful per cup. By the way, the strength level on the packet refers to roast level, and not strength (which is how much coffee gets dissolved into the liquid)

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »
So the higher the number the more that gets put through into the jug?

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2012, 12:45:57 pm »
It's not an exact science because we all like our coffee different.   If it;'s not strong enough, add more, too strong and next time reduce a bit.   Trial and error.   :)   

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
The so-called 'strength' number on packets isn't strength, it's roast level...so 'strong=dark'. Higher grounds to water ratio= higher strength but basically...

what PB says

« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »
If you're drinking from a mug, I'd put in a rounded tablespoon* of coffee into the filter. You can buy dosing spoons from shops as well. As you say, a 5-cup filter maker doesn't make much more coffee than one decent mug.

* I like my coffee strong!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »
I have a mug. But its a small mug that looks big. Its one of those with a rubber top like a take away cup, perfect for not spilling anything when driving!
I did some more today and put quite a bit in, which seemed to be better.
Is there any coffee that is worth trying?

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:45:47 am »
First of all, select a coffee that's ground to suit filters. If you choose one that's too coarse ground you won't get the strength you're looking for.

As for which type, I have no recommendations, as it's a very personal thing. Try small packets of as many different blends as you can & you'll probably find one that you really like. My personal favourite is one that a small local roastery sells at my town's market, but it took a lot of trial and error to get there. Not cheap (£4.40/250g), but very much worth it.

Avoid making a large batch of coffee in the filter machine and drinking the remainder later. It's much better fresh brewed.

Get a good airtight container and keep the coffee as cool as you can.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:48:24 am »
I was taught to use a measure thingy which seems to be about one tablespoon's worth...use one per cup plus one for the filter.  This made it strong enough for my parents, consistently.  They generally swear about weak coffee everywhere except in Sweden...

I don't drink the stuff myself-love the smell, can't stand the taste!   ;D

« Reply #9 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:30:24 am »
The coffee is a personal thing and trial and error to get it right.
Im more interested on how you are doing this in the lorry.  Some sort of 12v system?
12v plus inverter?  Some sort of jennie fed off the alternator? 
How long does it take to boil the water? 
Information very much appriciated.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:58:19 am »

bloody posh lorry ! Dunno you're born ;)

« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »
Is there any coffee that is worth trying?

Find a shop that sells whole beans, preferably roasted locally. Grind the beans in small batches, enough to get you through a day at a time if possible. Like AWL says, try different roasts until you find one you like.

« Reply #12 on: 21 February, 2012, 12:14:28 pm »
Trucks run on 24v so I have a Waeco one wired straight in. I think they do it in a 12v version aswell, not seen it being sold though. It doesn't take much power, which is brilliant! I don't need to have it running when its brewing up which is always a plus.
Nothing fancy really. I could of got a big inverter and done it that way but they will suck too much power.
Not a really posh lorry. But it is my home from mon-sat, so you got to make it nice!