General Category > OT Knowledge

Pimp my bathroom

(1/52) > >>

Mrs Pingu:
It's time! I think the roof is fixed now (touches really huge piece of wood) so hopefully I can get the bathroom done this year....

Thing is, I have absolutely no idea what is considered good in the world of bathing. No plans to move at the moment so let's assume this is a bathroom built for my exacting tastes rather than something cheap, shiny & sellable. It's not going to be a wet room either. I don't normally mind doing my research into what products are good, but bathrooms seem a bit, unreviewed.

It's a pretty small room, I don't think there's any scope for moving any of the items so I think we're just replacing what's there. So, please recommend me a model or good brand of:

A toilet, that isn't 'floating', isn't square, doesn't have any poxy buttons to get jammed and has a decent enough flush to get rid of the occasional big log. No jobbie inspection platform required.

A double length shower cubicle, preferably one with fewer areas for grot to build up. Our current one has a sliding door, the track of which is just great for collecting grot. Not sure if we have enough room for a pivot door though, will have to measure. Because the shower butts up to a sloping ceiling there is only really one place for the shower itself to be mounted (on the long wall near the entrance end).

A shower, thermostatic mixer is a must. Am ambivalent about having a rainfall head or not, there will be a head on a flexible hose whatever happens.

A decent hand basin. Something that you can use for more than just rinsing the tips of your fingers. Probably one which sits on the top. A good under sink cabinet. None of this floating nonsense again,  that's just wasted space to collect cat hair and other grollies IMO. Not a pop up waste plug either, ours is crap. And as for the bottle trap that collects liquid soap  :sick:

An extractor fan. We've got one built into the window already but I suspect it's time for a new one and I wonder if we really need a bigger more sucky one, judging by all the mould round the window....

ian:
We have a diagonal toilet. I have no idea how instead of a Japanese nuclear toilet with enough computation to risk emergent sentience I ended up paying several hundred pounds for a toilet that merely juts at a jaunty forty five degrees from the corner of the room. This is what happens when someone you happen to be married to thrusts the 82nd bathroom catalogue of the day under your nose and you grunt affirmation just to make it go away. It cost a lot more than a perpendicular toilet, has a soft-close lid and a fortunately a limitless appetite for poo. The cistern is hidden away somewhere so I'm going to cry like a big baby man if it ever needs fixing and then I'll call a grown-up who'll laugh at me.

Get a rainfall shower. If for no better reason than it makes you sing in the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight every time you use it. No idea where the cubicle came from, but it had a Scandinavian name and cost more than other cubicles. I think it's bulletproof though, to be honest, no one has yet tried to assassinate me in the shower. Other than the faded LED on the Aqualisa unit, I'm a very happy showerer.

Baths are very expensive for what is effectively a large bucket. Mine is made out some kind of composite that promises exciting things like thermal inertia. Taps are also expensive, and once you've put your unique chromium stamp on your bathroom you'll find that every hotel in the known universe has the same bloody taps. At least I can work the mixer showers in pretty much any hotel.

Tiles, oh god, I don't want to even think about tiles ever again. Our extractor fan goes up through the ceiling and out the roof and is cunningly disguised as a spotlight fitting (with a light in the middle).

Pick an amount you want to budget. Double it. Then add some more.

Polar Bear:
Our bathroom has been in place for eighteen months and has been remarkably faultless in the time.   I'll try and find the spec sheets.   All I can recall of the top of my head is that the bath is Carronite and the taps are Bristan but you don't want a bath...

Our shower 'cubicle' is 900x1700 with glass walls and a walk in gap.   The shower is a Triton mixer run from the condensing boiler.   I'll try and find the details of the rest as soon as I can.   We ordered from Eastbrook through our builder who got us his discount from the local merchant.   I recall now that the basin and basin cabinet are called Oslo.

Polar Bear:
Ah yes, the glass panels were Corniche and the tray is 1700 x 900.

Mrs Pingu:
There is no bath, hence the long shower enclosure.  I'm not having tiles either, they got ditched with the last enclosure. Aqaupanel may not be de rigueur  but it's easy to clean  :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version