General Category > OT Knowledge

Mercury mop up

(1/6) > >>

aidan.f:
Have made a pretty good job of clearing up the globules of Mercury after dropping a thermometer onto a concrete floor yesterday.
 However there will be a very little left in  cracks and chips in the floor. I am at the point where I  cannot see anything but expect something has been left. What should I do?
1.  More brushing. Paintbrush and folded laminating pocket scoop plus hours of patience was used yesterday
2. Something else?

ElyDave:
In your garage? At work?

IIRC mercury spill kits contain sulphur which either reacts and stabilises the mercury, or just clumps it for later clean up.  You can do that and then a really good hoovering with a hoover that has a HEPA filter.  That's pretty much what we did when refurbishing old labs at Cambridge and Harwell.   That was after we'd collected up the pints of liquid mercury accumulated under the parquet flooring

aidan.f:
Dave, it's at home. Having read a bit more the risk is vapour..  it was in a lot of small droplets. I maybe should have ventilated a bit more during my two hour pick up. I am coming to the conclusion that whatever is left is not really a concern, I have a lot more in my fillings.

mrcharly-YHT:
It isn't anywhere near your aluminium-framed bikes, is it?

or anything else made of aluminium for that matter.

Ben T:
Will a magnet not suck it up?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version