Author Topic: Cheshire Cat  (Read 10726 times)

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
Re: Cheshire Cat
« Reply #25 on: 28 March, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »
Any news on the bloke that crashed west of Tattenhall?

I was on the Chirk 200 heading for The Ice Cream Farm (Overton - Tattenhall section) when we were forewarned by oncoming riders.
Please to see he was being attended to - but looked like he was out cold and there was a lot of blood on the tarmac.
Not good.
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

Bo

« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:15:26 pm »
I didn't see or hear anything.  I think we were ahead of it.  I hope they are alright.  Given the amount of riders out there it is a miracle that more incidents didn't occur.  Did see one very lucky young chap narrowly avoid hitting a car though.  The idiot turned straight into it's path and the driver had to slam his brakes on.  The cyclist just carried on as if nothing had happened.  Lost one of his 9 Cheshire cat lives there I think.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #27 on: 28 March, 2011, 03:07:48 pm »
Hi. Hope the person on the Cheshire Cat event was OK.

I was doing the AUK 200 km event 'Chirk' from Poynton, Stockport.

We was going in the opposite direction of the Cheshire Cat and passed what seemed like thousands of riders on the Cheshire Cat and it went on for ages.

I passed the fallen rider, ambulances, police. It looked serious ?

I was impressed with the Mavic (one) support car and Mavic motorbikes, looked like a proper pro tour though the number of riders looked like there was to many.

Hope he's OK.

Keep us posted

John

« Reply #28 on: 28 March, 2011, 04:03:14 pm »
Hi. Hope the person on the Cheshire Cat event was OK.

I was doing the AUK 200 km event 'Chirk' from Poynton, Stockport.

We was going in the opposite direction of the Cheshire Cat and passed what seemed like thousands of riders on the Cheshire Cat and it went on for ages.

I passed the fallen rider, ambulances, police. It looked serious ?

I was impressed with the Mavic (one) support car and Mavic motorbikes, looked like a proper pro tour though the number of riders looked like there was to many.

Hope he's OK.

Keep us posted

John

I was slightly less impressed.  The thousands of riders looked like they were having a good time but I and others frequently had to take avoiding action as they came round bends three or four abreast on the wrong side of the road.  Also my experience of the Mavic motorcycle riders was to see the rider in front of me (on the Chirk 200) hit the deck hard, taking avoiding action to miss a Mavic outrider who was coming up the wrong side of the road.  Mercifully, he was ok apart from shock and cuts and bruises.  The outrider must have been pretty shocked too because, although stationary, he didn't get off his bike to help the audaxer.  Those Cheshire lanes are too narrow for a mass participation event like that, in my opinion.

« Reply #29 on: 28 March, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »
Hello,
I'm doing the long route (100miles) of the Cheshire Cat on Sunday, including the Mow Cop killer mile.  Has anyone done this sportive before ?  Any tips, advice (apart from don't do it haha) would be welcome.
Cheers all and happy riding.

I did most of route as a Mem Sec audax fo less than a fiver two years ago.  Think it was called "Cheshire Peaks" or something.  Nice ride (but the all Mike W's rides are) and Mow Kop is steep but you can see the top, its not too long, so just keep the legs moving and you get there without falling or getting off.

« Reply #30 on: 29 March, 2011, 10:43:23 am »
Sounds like there was too many entrants, with long queues to start and finish, good job the weather was ok.