Author Topic: Sneaking into a sportive without paying  (Read 6132 times)

Re: Sneaking into a sportive without paying
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »
I hope he handed his goody bag back

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2011, 02:27:28 pm »
Guilty m'lud  ::-)

Decided to tag along for a few miles on last years Tour Ride sportive from Stoke and got (a bit) carried away with the whole thing. 

Arrived at an official feed stop where I thought that i should leave the official route and begin my ride back when suddenly someone pointed me across to where a whole load of foot was waiting to be consumed and as I was feeling a bit hungry by that point decided to indulge (just a little).

I then found myself riding with a group and completed the ride with them.  At the finish I was given a medal, T shirt and goody bag and was beginning to feel just a little bit guilty  :-[

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2011, 02:46:29 pm »
i think the opposite thing happened on my 400km audax

I got a couple of reports of a northern chap at the back of the field.  I think I had down as a DNS, but it's hard to tell not having spoken to him...

I'm not sure but I think he may have started late, not got a card and then given up before the 2nd control

Euan Uzami

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2011, 02:52:53 pm »
I passed a load of sportive riders going the other way at the weekend. After passing a constrant stream of them for about 3 miles I saw what was obviously one of their controls, a sort of marquee by the side of the road. i did think about sneaking into it and having a few flapjacks but the barley and the fact i'd come from the other direction may have given me away ;) ;D
I do think morally though it's more on a par with downloading mp3s without paying, though, than it is - say, sneaking off from a restaurant without paying or nicking from a shop or something .

Bairn Again

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »

".......I think they’re using double standards and that Ricco’s sentence has already been decided.”

Referring to self in third person - never good. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »
Nonsense!  It's something that's been done by Tom Cruise, Charlie Sheen, Michael Jackson, Vinnie Jones...

OK, I see what you mean.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2011, 04:44:14 pm »
How can they complain about someone riding on the public road?

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2011, 05:03:41 pm »
This particular person is barred from any cycling events while he is being investigated for alledgedly using performance enhancing drugs.So not a simple case of joining in the ride.

Nothing to stop anyone riding the route unless its on closed roads,I think accepting food or goodybags would be dishonest though.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »

".......I think they’re using double standards and that Ricco’s sentence has already been decided.”

Referring to self in third person - never good. 

YLG don't like it when those people talk like that.  It be gettin' YLG all upset like.

« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2011, 08:33:05 pm »
If a couple of friends of mine opt to do the Manchester 100, I'll probably go along to keep them company but I won't enter.
You have to buy food at all the stops so I won't feel too bad about crashing the party and, of course, I'll refuse any goody-bags at the end  O:-)

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2011, 08:56:52 pm »
I always fancied do in a DIY form a Soptif thiny start Like say the Aviemore one or that Etack Caladonia thing and drafting them then blasting them away on the recumbent just cause I am not realy meant to enter.
Blew away a young lad ,time trailist, on the De Lechtable 200 coming down to Alford dose that count???

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2011, 07:42:27 am »
Who is Ricco?

H

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2011, 07:52:02 am »
Who is Ricco?

H

Judge Dredd's brother.