Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332028 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #550 on: 05 April, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »
New tent for bike packing. Little Easton 3 season tent. 1kg with poles. Yum.

« Reply #551 on: 05 April, 2012, 08:59:09 pm »

I had a sit on one yesterday. It wasn't bad at all. They should start being in shops from early April. :)

I read that and was confused, because it came atraight after this from Turista:

"Does anyone here have any experience of this stove."

I can't imagine that would be comfortable, even by camping standards!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #552 on: 05 April, 2012, 10:04:31 pm »

Ooooh spendy
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #553 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:47:49 am »

Ooooh spendy

They are on offer at the moment. So I didn't pay £450 but I did pay an amount that made my colleagues gasp a little... Still, five clicks using PayPal to buy a tent is what the Internet is all about, isn't it?

« Reply #554 on: 06 April, 2012, 01:29:53 pm »
Got a new Exped Ultralight Synmat 448 grams including stuff sack.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #555 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »
Got a new Exped Ultralight Synmat 448 grams including stuff sack.
Cool. Let us know how you get on with it. :) I am using my synmat short for the first time this weekend. It seems to be about the right length so far. (for sitting and typing on my computer, anyway! ;D)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #556 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:58:27 pm »

This arrived too late for last weekends "Freeze Your Bits Off" overnight.  It's a perfect fit inside my MSR Titan Kettle and a Trangia burner or small gas stove fits nicely inside.   

It's a tad too narrow to fit on the Trangia Triangle's pot support so I've made a support from an old spoke  as described here so I can use it directly on the stove.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #557 on: 11 April, 2012, 04:47:08 pm »
My Easton Kilo 2 person tent arrived and as promised, it weighs under a kilo with stakes and poles!

Had a test erection in the living room so didn't peg it out (downstairs might have complained if I hammered the stakes into the floor) but it is a decent size, good headroom so I can sit up in it and it was pretty easy to put up. One drawback is that there aren't any gear loops on the inside so nowhere to hang a lantern / torch but I have a head torch so I'm not that bothered.

The poles are interesting, carbon fibre but no full length shockcord just little tethers between the sections that snap together.

Now I need an opportunity to use it in anger, and resist the temptation to take more stuff now I have less tent to carry...

« Reply #558 on: 11 April, 2012, 05:14:20 pm »
Best you get up to Rutland this weekend then!

« Reply #559 on: 11 April, 2012, 07:42:11 pm »
A sleeping bag liner.  'Cos Rutland may turn out a bit chilly for my current bag.

I did peer at the sleeping bags while in the shop, but decided that anything that was signifigantly warmer and still transportable by tandem was going to be rather too expensive to get as an impulse purchase.  One day, when I've done the proper research...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #560 on: 11 April, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »
Liners are good anyway.  They weigh almost nothing, keep your sleeping bag from getting manky, and can be used on their own (or with the bag in duvet mode) in warm weather.   :thumbsup:

ObRetail: I did at some point order a 600ml Sigg bottle with neoprene cover - not specifically as camping gear, but as a means for barakta to transport her lactose-free milk around without worrying about leaks.

« Reply #561 on: 11 April, 2012, 10:21:23 pm »
Outwell Posadas double campbed as our old air mattress died on us last week. Should be delivered tomorrow, but I'm in Istanbul until next Friday night  :(

LEE

« Reply #562 on: 12 April, 2012, 12:50:46 pm »
Just bought a Vango Spirit 200+

Awaiting delivery.

I've wanted one for years (just check back through some of the Tent threads on YACF) and, finally ordered one.  £169 delivered seemed about as cheap as I'm ever likely to see it.

My Coleman Viper has been great but I've always hankered after a big porch I can throw my panniers into and can sit out a rainy day in.

Note.  Coleman Viper is still immaculate and may be for sale shortly for around £40.  PM me your interest.

« Reply #563 on: 12 April, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »
Well I picked up one of the Lidl tents...and it's pretty cheap. I expected it to be a bit ehh but we'll see. It may be ok, or it may get returned.

Had a little go pitching it in the living room but had no where to string the sides of the base to so it was a bit flappy inside. Think it'll be reasonably roomy inside once set up properly.

The instructions tell me to pack the pegs and poles in their own little bags to stop them poking holes in the tent. I would do that had the little bags not been just cellophane that opened along a seam  :facepalm: I'm sure I can molish or repurpose something though.

My only other niggle is that the main pole seems a tad too long for the length of material available and I can't get both ends into their little pockets. Debating whether to hope it'll stretch a tad or hacksawing a little bit off one of the pole sections (taking care not to cut the elastic cord).
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #564 on: 14 April, 2012, 08:36:34 am »
A stuffable expanding pillow and a gas canister for the jet boil from decathlon. Off to Suffolk for two nights tomorrow.

« Reply #565 on: 18 April, 2012, 12:21:06 pm »
Not quite made a purchase but I have ordered one of these today. http://www.helinox.com.au/pages/helinox-chair-one.asp
I have been quoted 3 weeks delivery time.

The chair arrived today and it is very comfy. I think it is bye bye to stools.
Home

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #566 on: 18 April, 2012, 12:26:58 pm »
Nah.  You need a trowel for them ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #567 on: 18 April, 2012, 07:20:55 pm »
I have just taken delivery of an Aeropress, thanks to recommendations from many forumites. I plan to use it on the Sem Fed in August.
Also 2 feather light zippy water resistant bags for sorting clothes and stuff in my packing.
A titanium folding knife from Alpkit.
A new pen knife with nail clippers and scissors in it, the single two most useful gadgets I always wish I have with me camping!

« Reply #568 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »
I have just taken delivery of an Aeropress, thanks to recommendations from many forumites. I plan to use it on the Sem Fed in August.
Also 2 feather light zippy water resistant bags for sorting clothes and stuff in my packing.
A new pen knife with nail clippers and scissors in it, the single two most useful gadgets I always wish I have with me camping!

Any chance of a link to the bags? I'm after something similar for my trip to Jersey.

« Reply #569 on: 18 April, 2012, 10:56:13 pm »
smurphboy.
If you are interested I got 2 of the Exped Ultralight Stuff Sacks the red 13 litre size in stock. They are at the top of this page. http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf/0/1FE62DA7F7746715C12579C6004798DF?opendocument

You can have the 2 for £16 posted.
Home

« Reply #570 on: 18 April, 2012, 11:11:36 pm »

Any chance of a link to the bags? I'm after something similar for my trip to Jersey.

I got these ones because they weigh almost nothing:
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/exped_ultralite_zip_packs.html

« Reply #571 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »
Thanks to both of you. I think I want the smaller ones that feline linked to, might go and measure my panniers.

« Reply #572 on: 24 April, 2012, 12:55:56 pm »
BARGAIN AT MILLETS!!!
Spare 9.5mm alloy tent poles, 7 sections + ends and shockcord.
Reduced from 24.99 to a fiver.
There are none left in Stamford cos I have them all!!
They make up to 4mtr.

I could now be the UK manufacturer of Click Stands!

« Reply #573 on: 26 April, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »
Hilleberg jannu - purchased shop soiled at 100 off! :)

LEE

« Reply #574 on: 27 April, 2012, 03:03:03 pm »
I just received my "Nite Ize Figure 9" rope tensioners.

Superb piece of kit, very impressed and can't wait to get my tarp out.

I think they will have more uses than I can think of right now.  4 (small) of them on a carabiner in my camping gear (with some550  paracord) now.

Here's a suitably cheesey US promo (but they really do work this quickly and easily, very intuitive and fiendishly simply).
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJ7kmcHasRM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UJ7kmcHasRM&rel=1</a>

Note. To all you clever knot-tying fanatics......I don't care that there's an equivalent knot.

To give an idea of the size of the small ones..