Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332030 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1175 on: 12 November, 2015, 11:02:54 pm »
 :D    YACF sack racing ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1176 on: 13 November, 2015, 08:39:50 am »
Alpkit titanium knife, fork, and spoon - mainly for my packed lunches, so I decided to go for non-folding over folding for ease of washing. Lighter, too.

Still really want their titanium water bottle, but managed to resist - a more sensible option would be to find a better stopper for my stainless bottles (freebies from work, with a slightly leaky sports cap).

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1177 on: 13 November, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »
Not any camping gear bought for a while now.

This popped up on my facebook feed today, a bluetooth smart phone app controlled camping light: 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-world-s-smartest-outdoor-lantern#/    ???

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1178 on: 23 January, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »
A Khyam Chatsworth (actually a new Plus, sent in error but shop happy for us to keep) to replace our family Khyam XXL. This had bent a bedroom pole in high winds last year when being used on a pre-season rugby camp by Ms Marco, but was destroyed by a teacher lobbing a large bag on top of it and ripping the main fabric. It was quite a few years old, but still... >:(

Our old additional porch won't fit the new one (think it would have fitted an old Chatsworth) but the new one has additional windows in the living area, so swings & roundabouts. Mrs Marco seems to think that this reduced storage space will help her not to take too many kitchen sinks on tour, but I am unconvinced...  :)

« Reply #1179 on: 24 January, 2016, 09:39:27 pm »
Folding Firebox Nano. I do like a camp fire !!

Andy

« Reply #1180 on: 29 February, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
Alpkit aluminium pots - my old ones were probably leaking teflon. Wondering how 'non stick' anodised will be!

« Reply #1181 on: 14 March, 2016, 09:31:35 pm »
Cumulus Panyam 450 sleeping bag. I wanted a short one with a right hand zip and the only place with it in stock was cyclo-randonnee.fr but alas no delivery option to the UK. A quick exchange on emails and Julien enables delivery by UPS to the UK - just 10 Euros extra.

I have taken it out of its bag and given it a good fondling  ;D. All very tidy and well put together. I'll try it this weekend.
Reine de la Fauche

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1182 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:06:27 pm »
I bought 10 tent pegs with the expectation that Boy Wunja would have lost some when he borrowed my tent. In the event in the tent bag  I found a peg bag I didn't recognise containing a variety of mismatched pegs, but sufficient to pitch the tent of Saturday night.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #1183 on: 23 March, 2016, 11:35:34 am »
Alpkit aluminium pots - my old ones were probably leaking teflon. Wondering how 'non stick' anodised will be!

Not too bad if my experience is correct.
The usual applies, use oil or fat for cooking, dump in some water after you've finished, use a brush of microfibre cloth and detergent for cleaning and you'll be fine.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1184 on: 27 March, 2016, 09:59:12 pm »
Finally ordered the Octane 3 from Blacks with a futher 15% discount!  :thumbsup: (its yellow but will live with that.)
Ditto, after this weekend camping and finding the Vango starting to split at the seams we were looking at another tent.
Currently priced at half the RRP and the £15 off for spending over £100 we'd be daft not to buy one for £115!!

« Reply #1185 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:58:02 pm »
Just received my first Trangia stove and Triangle.
Also just popped in the door from Germany, a Varta USB 4AAA battery charger.
To be run off my Luxos U.

« Reply #1186 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »
Just bought a zephyros 2. Does anyone know what the little orange aluminium tube is for?

Thanks

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1187 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:46:50 pm »
Just bought a zephyros 2. Does anyone know what the little orange aluminium tube is for?

Thanks

Can it slip over the poles?
It's probably a pole splint, for an emergency hold-it-together if a pole section breaks.

« Reply #1188 on: 14 April, 2016, 08:16:06 pm »
That makes sense. Do poles often break?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1189 on: 14 April, 2016, 08:27:16 pm »
Often enough that you want to carry the splint, and probably a spare section of pole.  And some duct tape to hold them in place.

It's standard metal fatigue stuff with aluminium poles:  In the absence of something obvious like gale force winds or a drunk person falling on your tent, it's going to be the cumulative effect of putting the tent up and down and being blown around that damages them.  First you know about it is when you're putting the tent up normally and *crack*.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1190 on: 14 April, 2016, 10:04:15 pm »
The usual failure point is at the join between the pole sections.
There will be a peg at one end, which inserts into the next section.
These are usually chained together with a length of elastic bungee.

The Peg is usually inserted into it's own pole section by about 1cm or so.
If the assembled pole is stressed eg by a Drunk Person landing on it, then the pole-end fails and splays out releasing the peg.

A temporary repair can be made by cutting back the splayed tube, and re-seating the peg, thus shortening the pole.
But often, a splint is also required.

« Reply #1191 on: 14 April, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »
I have collected a few pole splints over the years.   My favourite is a non-coloured alu section from a quality Blacks tent of the eighties era.   We still have a few sections of the 8mm pole in use as paint stirrers. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1192 on: 14 April, 2016, 10:58:27 pm »
If the assembled pole is stressed eg by a Drunk Person landing on it, then the pole-end fails and splays out releasing the peg.

Or the peg shears:

Which is harder to bodge.

« Reply #1193 on: 15 April, 2016, 08:19:12 am »
I've finally upgraded my 89p Wilko's Enamel mug, tin foil lid and aged camping gaz stove...

To an alpkit Mytimug, a teeny  (AA battery sized  when folded)  alpkit gas burner and a 100 ml gas cannister. So it all fits in the mug for storage and  (geekery alert!) with the ti sfoon it all weighs 380g with a full gas cylinder! :thumbsup:

And do the pyramid shaped UHT milk cartonso waitrose sell count as camping kit -  if so, some of them!

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #1194 on: 17 April, 2016, 08:58:08 pm »
First time for me in a bivvy bag, acquired on ebay:

No, that's not me.  That's mini_1, who would like to try it too and snuck in for a quick go in the morning.  The kids can wait till it's a bit warmer, like when there isn't going to be frost on the bag like in the pic.  They were in a tent instead.

« Reply #1195 on: 17 April, 2016, 09:09:16 pm »
I accidentally bought a tent. We collected it today but I haven't had time to pitch it yet. It's a second Good Companions Major, with a nylon fly sheet which is quite rare. It may turn into a donor tent or we may use it complete. I'm quite excited about it. The main difference with the nylon fly is that it has 2 zips which make it much more useable with a toddler.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1196 on: 02 May, 2016, 05:23:44 pm »
Not me but my father.

We trial pitched the new Robens Kiowa teepee style tent which will now be available for either of my sisters when they go on a family trip. If they add a stove then I think the festival goers at Glastonbury will be a bit jealous and my youngest sister wil have a warm tent when camping with an infant.

« Reply #1197 on: 14 May, 2016, 02:59:55 pm »
My turn, Millets had a sale on camping gear so I bought myself a trangia.

« Reply #1198 on: 21 May, 2016, 10:22:21 pm »
Finally got around to buying a Synmat at long last, together with a Snozzle bag, some Alpkit tent pegs and a bike buddy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1199 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:14:38 pm »
Finally got around to buying a Synmat at long last, together with a Snozzle bag, some Alpkit tent pegs and a bike buddy.

Anyone would think you had a tour planned ..  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark