Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 275268 times)

A local expert tells me that Stornoway has 2 runways making a cross shape. So they can change runway to suit wind direction.

Departures board shows all flights operating on time.

All ferries are cancelled.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
We have definitely flown to Benbecula when the ferries have been cancelled! We flew out in the middle of the first named storm (Abigail) and flew back to Glasgow in the second one (Barney).

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
A local expert tells me that Stornoway has 2 runways making a cross shape. So they can change runway to suit wind direction.

Departures board shows all flights operating on time.

All ferries are cancelled.

Like almost all of the 700+ airfields built in WW2, Stornoway was provided with three runways in an ‘A’’ shape, one main runway of 6000’ length, and two secondary runways of around 4200’ length. Like almost all of the few that remain in use, at least one of those runways is now disused as wind variations didn’t justify its maintenance. Most only retained the main runway, and a few (Speke, Turnhouse) abandoned all three and built a new one!

Well I hope all the experts are right.

Expecting to get to the airport and see the planes held down with ropes.

Wonder what they do when the winds get over 100mph? Must be a point at which there is substantial lift in the gusts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Wow! Sleet!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

The local council have posted that there will be gritting tonight, in Somerset. (Admittedly on the higher bits, but still...)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Rain, which became hail, which became heavy hail. I was glad I had taken my hat!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Rain, which became hail, which became heavy hail. I was glad I had taken my hat!
Same again, but I'm at home this time.

Cudzoziemiec

Same again, but I'm at home this time.
And a third time in just over 24 hours.