Author Topic: Android tablet recommendations?  (Read 3580 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Android tablet recommendations?
« on: 13 January, 2017, 11:26:17 am »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) has a cheap no-name Android tablet which had now died on its arse, refusing to charge.  He has tasked me with sourcing a replacement.  It gets used mainly for e-mail and reading books via the Overdrive app.  He's already got a Kindle Fire but says it's too small for anything involving typing.  Any offering from the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia can be ruled out on the grounds of 'ow much, G-g-g-g-granville?  Stuff like camera performance is not an issue.

What say thee Panel?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: Android tablet recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2017, 12:42:24 pm »
My missus kindly dragged me into the 21st century by getting me my first tablet for Christmas, a 10" Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 which is (probably, by some standards) quite basic, but I find great.  The bulge is really comfortable to hold in such a way that your fingers don't get onto the screen.   Recommended.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2017, 03:26:55 pm »
reading books via the Overdrive app

Haven't come across the Overdrive app before.  Do you have to set up an account to pay to "borrow" the books or is it all free?  We are Kindle app users, and Kindle definitely isn't free for anything current you might wish to read.

Bryn

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
He's already got a Kindle Fire but says it's too small for anything involving typing.

I bought a faux-leather case+keyboard thingy for the HUDL which has transformed my use of it. Cost about 8.5p delivered from Outer Taiwan (or similar).

(I am too old to type with touch-screens except in dire emergencies).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2017, 04:10:35 pm »
He's already got a Kindle Fire but says it's too small for anything involving typing.

I bought a faux-leather case+keyboard thingy for the HUDL which has transformed my use of it. Cost about 8.5p delivered from Outer Taiwan (or similar).

(I am too old to type with touch-screens except in dire emergencies).

I'm too stubborn to type more than about 160 characters with a touch screen unless it's a dire emergency.

A physical keyboard (even a fairly nasty one) transforms a fondleslab from a reading/viewing device into a proper communications tool, not least because it doesn't take up half the screen area displaying a keyboard.  The downside is that if you're in the habit of using your device in portrait mode for reading ebooks or similar, then you need to be able to get rid of the keyboard easily.  Magnetic detachment (or a very easily removed case) seems to work better than folding round the back for me, but YMMV.

(Android's a bit rubbish at making full use of a physical keyboard.  Text input is fine, but some of the OS control requires you to fall back to gestures, so unless you also have a mouse you can forget about a smuge-free screen.  And there are loads of apps which refuse to draw themselves in landscape format, which is instantly infuriating if you've got a keyboard case attached.)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »
"OverDrive is a free service offered by your library or school that lets you borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and more from their digital collections."

Kindle owning Prime members can borrow books for no extra charge from Amazon.

Tablets: what are the very cheap new unbranded Chinese ones like now?  Horribly thick and heavy?  I notice they tend to have only 512GB of RAM.  Is that enough for even basic duties?  A pensioner friend of mine would like a 9" or bigger tablet with only a £45 budget.  I expected the second hand market to provide the answer but  haven't yet found a clear good buy on eBay for that sort of money.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2017, 05:05:52 pm »
My missus kindly dragged me into the 21st century by getting me my first tablet for Christmas, a 10" Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 which is (probably, by some standards) quite basic, but I find great.  The bulge is really comfortable to hold in such a way that your fingers don't get onto the screen.   Recommended.  :thumbsup:

I have the same and very pleased. Camera is not great but then I have.... a camera for taking pictures.  I dont see the point in spending 3 times the cost when the Lenovo does all reasonably. think its an IBM brand?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2017, 05:25:08 pm »
Other way round, funnily enough.  Lenovo is a Chinese giant who acquired IBM (or part of).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2017, 05:43:47 pm »
Oh (*reads Wiki*) and then the remainder of IBM bought a share of Lenovo.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2017, 07:04:11 pm »

I have the same and very pleased. Camera is not great but then I have.... a camera for taking pictures.  I dont see the point in spending 3 times the cost when the Lenovo does all reasonably. think its an IBM brand?
+1
Very good battery life into the bargain.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

rr

« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2017, 11:45:57 pm »
I bought Mrs R an Acer Chromebook R11 for Christmas..
11 inch touch screen and permanently attached keyboard. It runs the latest version of chrome OS which allows you to install Google play store and so android apps. Runs k9 for email and some other apps, I haven't tried overdrive on it though, she is not much of a reader.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:54:06 am »
rnsers filed for future reference as he's managed to persuade it to start working again.

Though his PVR has now died on its arse >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2017, 12:55:15 pm »
If he does get one, make sure it has location functions. The one I took over from the I.P. hasn't and astronomy apps where you hold the tablet up to cover the area of sky you're looking at don't work.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2017, 03:04:44 pm »
If he does get one, make sure it has location functions. The one I took over from the I.P. hasn't and astronomy apps where you hold the tablet up to cover the area of sky you're looking at don't work.

This sort of thing was how I ended up with a much higher-end tablet than I'd otherwise justify.  I reckoned that since I'd be mostly using it away from home[1], for things that involved  a) communications  and  b) maps and stuff,  I really needed one that had cellular connection, GPS and an SD card slot.  It's surprising how many of the lower end models leave out the GPS (also the accelerometer and compass which tend to go along with it), compared to phones where they're standard equipment.  But I suppose most low-end tablets get used for little more than reading Facebook while sat in front of the telly, and you only really need WiFi and a screen for that.

[1] At home it's mostly an expensive ebook reader and IRC-in-bed device, as I have a much more ergonomic Real Computer for computery things.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14 on: 16 January, 2017, 12:57:12 am »
Somehow I can't imagine him using it for any of the purposes described.  Certainly not anything away from home.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:39:06 pm »
Somehow I can't imagine him using it for any of the purposes described.  Certainly not anything away from home.

Quite.  And in that instance there's no need to pay over the odds for a high-spec model.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2020, 04:51:55 pm »
Not so good now it has gone up £40. :'(

« Reply #18 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:35:23 pm »
The non fhd version is £110.