Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526134 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1325 on: 07 June, 2016, 06:28:33 pm »
That's what the Hustler told me anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1326 on: 07 June, 2016, 06:31:02 pm »
Quick question... is there a perm for the A&S... just thinking about how I might get a 600km in before the middle of September.... (given I wont be here for Flatlands)... to given I have an idea of how to ride A&S I'm thinking of a 200km(ish) bolt on to top and tail it to a 600 but a start/arrivee from home..
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1327 on: 07 June, 2016, 06:38:30 pm »
Quick question... is there a perm for the A&S... just thinking about how I might get a 600km in before the middle of September.... (given I wont be here for Flatlands)... to given I have an idea of how to ride A&S I'm thinking of a 200km(ish) bolt on to top and tail it to a 600 but a start/arrivee from home..
yes there is, it's organised by Herman, however you can't extend a perm the same way you can a calendar event. You'll need to ride it as a DIY by GPS or create your own traditional PoP ride as a perm.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1328 on: 07 June, 2016, 06:40:27 pm »
Or ride the Flatliner?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1329 on: 07 June, 2016, 06:53:49 pm »
yes there is, it's organised by Herman, however you can't extend a perm the same way you can a calendar event. You'll need to ride it as a DIY by GPS or create your own traditional PoP ride as a perm.

Ta... yes was going to DIY by GPS, sorry getting terminology mixed up.  I've got a tentative 200km already knocked up, might review against other audax I've done this year to confirm route and perhaps ride it  later this month.

Ted - prefer the A&S as I can ride to Manningtree for the same start time and know what is where and when, so some of the unknowns are removed...
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1330 on: 07 June, 2016, 07:10:03 pm »
For my 'Hyper' last year, I did the A&S route, starting from Dunmow and missing out Saffron Walden on the return, adding a reversed Horses for Courses to make a DIY 600.

Off at first light [about 05:00, September iIrc]: I got several hours in my own bed the next night, had a leisurely breakfast with the family, making Newmarket 'spoons for brunch and finished the final day in daylight [just!] I had the extra time on 14.3kph, but in the event didn't need it, even with the down time back home. I did the traditional Dunmow arrivee in the Angel and Harp  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1331 on: 07 June, 2016, 07:26:12 pm »
 :thumbsup: I'll be nicking bits from some of the ones of yours I've done this year plus a bit of own brew from MEMWNS rides I've done too... oddly looking forward to it if I can fit it in...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1332 on: 07 June, 2016, 07:35:36 pm »
Can I have a Pukka Pies neo capitalist straight jacket or whatever ted said?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1333 on: 07 June, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »
Very crafty Tomsk.

I knew you were hooked jiber when I saw your smiley face at Manningtree on Sunday morning.

What about going to Dunmow and riding a DOTD, a Boudicca and a Horses for Courses back to back as a diy?😂

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1334 on: 07 June, 2016, 08:54:14 pm »
My plan is to fall out of bed on to the bike and then fall off the bike in to bed, so home to home fits that criteria and saves any other travel arrangements (car to Dunmow or train to Manningtree).

The extra doesn't go via Witham at the moment, but could do, and perhaps add another option for an ACME ride... who knows! :)  It presently includes both the station cafe and Sudbury McD so most of the ingredients are there LOL  Its basically a parallelogram with Manningtree & Hadleigh to the east corners and Henham and Mountnessing the western corners.  Still some finessing to do, it would be nice to avoid Colchester for example, but I'd be passing through there early in the morning to hit Manningtree for 08:00ish so not to much of a problem for me..
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1335 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:22:50 pm »
DOTD  ;D....surely you mean DTDO

Colchester is fine that time in the morning Jibers, I have gone through several times to get to the start of rides around that time and it really is dead. Even the Dual carriage way along the bottom is quiet to make for a quick escape.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1336 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:26:56 pm »
I've tried 3 600's now and only completed one. I think this was because I can't ride much more than 450km without sleeping, the one I completed had a sleep stop at 400km and as huggy can confirm, I did need a kip.

Just mentioning this so you consider adding somewhere to rest sometime after 400km, jiber.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1337 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:28:55 pm »
Yep, as tippers says, Colchester is fine before 8am.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1338 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:56:27 pm »
I was observing the bus stops as we passed them, there were some high quality ones and some nasty perches or no bench at all :)  Still plenty of thinking to do so far, its about 60 km to the cafe, so an earlyish start I think
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1339 on: 08 June, 2016, 09:11:04 am »
Talking of 600s, who is doing the Flatlands ?

The Hustler is keen to do it, I feel I ought to accompany my main wingman, the Straggler might do it as part of his Hyper which means we will have some experience on hand, anyone else ?

DL has just smashed the Dragon so maybe he might be up for a quick scoot up to Goole ?

« Reply #1340 on: 08 June, 2016, 10:01:22 am »
I have a pass for it......and I do fancy completing the Essex SR so a tentative yes.....maybe depending on how things are going it might even be on Fixed  :o

« Reply #1341 on: 08 June, 2016, 10:07:19 am »
Talking of 600s, who is doing the Flatlands ?

I plan to, although technically I've not cleared it at home yet.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1342 on: 08 June, 2016, 10:27:06 am »
On Sunday morning I swore never to ride an overnight Audax again but I've unfinished business with the Flatlands and if I can cobble together some sleeping gear then, well, maybe.....

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1343 on: 08 June, 2016, 10:32:12 am »
On Sunday morning I swore never to ride an overnight Audax again but I've unfinished business with the Flatlands and if I can cobble together some sleeping gear then, well, maybe.....

If it's advice on sleeping in woods you're after then look no further ...

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1344 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:11:33 am »
Though I am a bit worried about meeting unsavoury characters in the woods in the dead of night, offering to brew me a cup of coffee or lend me their special trowel or even show me their tattoo. Scary  :o

« Reply #1345 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:22:15 am »
You should just look at one of the hotels I reckon. Probably be the most efficient and you are quick enough to get some use out of the funds spent. The Premier Inn (?) at Goole or I think some folk use the Travelodge in Scunthorpe which is not too far off route. I know some others use the Lincoln TL but I personally feel that is too far in as the damage will be done by then.

« Reply #1346 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:25:19 am »
Sister Carol was a broken man by the time he got to Lincoln last year so an earlier stop would be better.

You and he are both quick enough to have a candlelit dinner for two somewhere nice and then spoon in a comfortable bed.

The Hustler and I will be slogging towards a bus shelter somewhere between Gainsborough and Lincoln cursing the fact that we ever agreed to ride.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1347 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:29:04 am »
I'm not able to ride on the calendar date, so will probably do a Flatliner (maybe reversed... Reniltalf) on one of the nearby weekends.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1348 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:40:36 am »
You`re so right ted, I was broken by Lincoln, I asked huggy the way to the railway station and he told me the biggest pork pies ever, before then I trusted him implicitly.

I proper bed in Goole is tempting tippers but there`s still 300km to go and how I`d get out of bed for that after a few hours sleep, I just don`t know.

« Reply #1349 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:44:03 am »
Tippers will push you out so that he can get down for breakfast.