Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526064 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1350 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:46:20 am »
When I did the ride I was ready for a kip and hour or two after Goole which was before Gainsborough.

« Reply #1351 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:51:50 am »
OK, I have a pass so I might as well face the fact that I am going to ride and let the only decision be Fixed or Gears. That might depend on the forecast.

If I ride I reckon it will be a Pro Plus, Coffee and Lucho Dillitos fuelled ride and call a ridiculous target of being back for Lunch on Sunday. (there, I've said it and I now have something to focus my training on)

If it's good weather I might even break out the Trek with no Mudguards  :o

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1352 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:52:04 am »
I tried sleeping on a churchyard bench in Gainsborough at 3am, I only had a down jacket, it was too cold and uncomfortable to sleep, all I remember after that is pain.....

« Reply #1353 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:59:36 am »
It is the apparent lack of Huggy that is concerning me at the moment.

I need to check my books, but I believe that kidnapping is legal where it relates to assistance with audaxes over 400km.  It's one of those obscure laws that has just never been repealed.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #1354 on: 08 June, 2016, 12:11:22 pm »
I'm up for it. Need it for the Essex SR  :)

Bus shelter all the way for me. Hotels are cheating....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1355 on: 08 June, 2016, 12:27:18 pm »
You and I are happy with a gravel layby.

Bus shelters are luxury, bloody luxury.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1356 on: 08 June, 2016, 01:16:31 pm »
It is the apparent lack of Huggy that is concerning me at the moment.

I need to check my books, but I believe that kidnapping is legal where it relates to assistance with audaxes over 400km.  It's one of those obscure laws that has just never been repealed.
Kidnapping will probably be the only way of releasing me to spend a weekend on my bike.  The real challenge for the Flatlanders of course is to go for the grand slam of Wetherspoons, and maybe a curry thrown in for good measure  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1357 on: 08 June, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »
hugs, what about we just ride up to Goole bagging as many 'spoons as we can then getting the train home?

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #1358 on: 08 June, 2016, 01:26:15 pm »
The straggler will plan to be on the ride, taking the bus shelter route.  Worked out well for me last year and got between
60-90min quality kip as I was pretty tired after riding with Bobbs pace. Hope Huggy will be able to make it as he orchestrated the pace and stop duration spot on, with 90min to spare.  Looking to spoons visits again.  Quick service quality food at reasonable cost.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1359 on: 08 June, 2016, 01:55:57 pm »
You`re so right ted, I was broken by Lincoln, I asked huggy the way to the railway station and he told me the biggest pork pies ever, before then I trusted him implicitly.

I proper bed in Goole is tempting tippers but there`s still 300km to go and how I`d get out of bed for that after a few hours sleep, I just don`t know.

You want to ask Cristophe about the opportunities for packing and getting a train from Sleaford (IIRC) on a Sunday  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1360 on: 08 June, 2016, 02:03:42 pm »
A 24 hour 'Spoons would be far better at Barton Mills.  The A&S lacks Huggy approved eating options. I plan to add Spalding this year as well to finish the set on the Flatlands.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1361 on: 08 June, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »
I will be riding the Flatlands on the day [after a late start for clearing up etc]. I need it for my Essex SR.

The Bus Shelter is booked.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1362 on: 08 June, 2016, 04:12:56 pm »
I will be riding the Flatlands on the day [after a late start for clearing up etc]. I need it for my Essex SR.

The Bus Shelter is booked.  :thumbsup:

Where is The Bus Shelter? Is it the room with a view shortly before Lincoln? I have it booked for my mid summer Flatliner which I'm hoping to do on 25th June.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1363 on: 09 June, 2016, 10:55:51 am »
So last night, as ted never showed up, and neither did 'fandango, I suppose it falls to me to report events ...

It was excellent!  By the time jibbers and Tomsk arrived there were 13 of us in The Cats.  Wally looked pleased to see us, his foot is still giving him gip but he was cheerful enough.

Two of our number were TMNH virgins but everyone got up without any bother, my record for deflowering virgins remains in tact, my slow and steady approach never fails, particularly with the ladies.

The rest of the detail you need can be summed up thus ...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1364 on: 09 June, 2016, 07:44:14 pm »
Where is The Bus Shelter? Is it the room with a view shortly before Lincoln? I have it booked for my mid summer Flatliner which I'm hoping to do on 25th June.

Yes, on the Burton Ridge shortly before Lincoln and almost opposite the lane up from South Carlton village. Solid stone building with wide seats bunks and a good view. There are several other quality 4/5 star ones on this B road, as the settlements are all located well down the hill - exposed ground isolated but 1/4 mile+ from the communities the serve: none of this modern glass and steel rubbish  ;D

« Reply #1365 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:15:54 am »
Folks, one of the Lady Tiptree Velo riders qualified for the World Gran Fondo Championship via. the Tour of Cambridgeshire the other week. She is going to take the opportunity to ride in the World Champ event in Perth which is brilliant.

She is looking for a Rigid travel box to take her bike so I thought I would ask if any of you know someone that might have one that they would be willing to lend/hire?

Any ideas or offers appreciated.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1366 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:28:03 am »
Tippers, put a post on the Witham Cycling FB page as I'm sure I remember someone mentioning a travel box but annoying can't think who.  Alternatively I could be completely wrong!

« Reply #1367 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:41:42 am »
 :thumbsup:

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1368 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:43:51 am »
:thumbsup:

I think Thomas's in Colchester hire them out but may have a limit of 2/3 available so they may already be spoken for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #1369 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:16:43 pm »
BTW - I just checked the AUK Club Results page and I see that ACME is now on a 6-rider total of 150 points (only 1 point behind yacf!!).  Obviously the real points monsters (e.g. Audax Club Bristol, VC167) have nothing to worry about but it's interesting to see how well little old ACME is doing!
Two weeks later and the 6-rider total is up to 166, fourth in the list behind Audax Club Bristol (489), VC167 (281) and Audax Club Hackney (217). Not bad going at such a young age.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1370 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:18:51 pm »
BTW - I just checked the AUK Club Results page and I see that ACME is now on a 6-rider total of 150 points (only 1 point behind yacf!!).  Obviously the real points monsters (e.g. Audax Club Bristol, VC167) have nothing to worry about but it's interesting to see how well little old ACME is doing!
Two weeks later and the 6-rider total is up to 166, fourth in the list behind Audax Club Bristol (489), VC167 (281) and Audax Club Hackney (217). Not bad going at such a young age.

:o
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1371 on: 15 June, 2016, 04:53:00 pm »
what a great day....working from home and my broadband was screwed this morning so I was well behind by the time I had to log on. I made a note to put petrol in the Volvo....when I did it I was rushing and I actually put PETROL in it.....it's a Diesel.....bugger. The garage said I was probably OK to top it off with Diesel and carry on....Mrs Tippers is not impressed!

Not so sure I should be trying to get onboard a big boat tonight.....but looking forward to a bit of 'me' time!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1372 on: 15 June, 2016, 04:59:16 pm »
Oh dear!  It can only get better!

« Reply #1373 on: 15 June, 2016, 11:46:36 pm »
Still in Harwich. I think most of the HGV's in East Anglia are being loaded on this ship!

« Reply #1374 on: 16 June, 2016, 08:02:25 am »
Still in Harwich. I think most of the HGV's in East Anglia are being loaded on this ship!

They do that as ballast when they already have something heavy on board  ;D